PDA

View Full Version : MS Office to support Ads?

AppleBonker
October 9th, 2009, 02:04 AM
Not sure if anyone else has seen this yet (I searched these forums and didn't find anything), but I thought I'd share. I saw this on Gizmodo, but the info came from here:

http://blogs.technet.com/office2010/default.aspx

Quote from article (emphasis is mine):

As part of Office 2010 software that will be pre-loaded by the PC manufacturers on their PCs, we’re introducing Microsoft Office Starter 2010. Office Starter 2010 is a reduced-functionality, advertising-supported version of Office 2010, available exclusively on new PCs. Office Starter 2010 will provide new PC owners with immediate exposure to the Office 2010 experience on new PCs right out of the box.

It looks like I made the switch to Linux just in time. All of these things are making me want to drop windows entirely. There is some functionality that I would miss, but this is starting to get too much. My biggest problem with this whole thing is that the average user that picks up a computer pre-built will not know any better and will probably just accept the ads as the come. I can't imagine most people will splurge to get a full copy of Office at the crazy prices they charge. With any luck, this might drive more people to open source solutions.

BTW, I'm not trying to start an "I hate Microsoft" discussion. Just posting in hopes that more people will see the light and use other options!

CJ Master
October 9th, 2009, 02:06 AM
Sounds like a brilliant business plan.

LookTJ
October 9th, 2009, 02:08 AM
Is the starter edition free as in beer? If not, then I don't see the point in ads really.

Ads drive me nuts, and reduces the worker's productivity.

Oh the EU probably won't allow this.

pwnst*r
October 9th, 2009, 02:17 AM
Sounds like a brilliant business plan.

exactly what i was thinking.

OP, what's the issue?

AppleBonker
October 9th, 2009, 02:18 AM
Is the starter edition free as in beer?

It appears that it will be completely free* and come pre-loaded on systems where the full Office install wasn't selected as an "upgrade". However, from reading the source, they claim it will only have Office Word Starter and Office Excel Starter. They both will have "basic functionality for creating, viewing and editing documents", which sounds to me like they will be pretty crippled. I guess this is supposed to replace the MS Works package that is common on PCs without office.

*Note: the reading makes this sound like it wont be available to the general public, only on pre-built PCs from the OEM. I'm guessing that means it probably isn't free, but relatively cheap for the OEM. I'm sure that minor cost will be passed along to the consumer.

AppleBonker
October 9th, 2009, 02:22 AM
OP, what's the issue?

I'm just not a fan of having ads pushed on people to make a bit more money. MS seems to be doing just fine in that department. I guess I can't pass much judgment until I see how they implement said ads. I guess growing up (I'm still fairly young) I've gotten used to being able to avoid most ads (DVRs make commercials nearly non-existent to me, etc) and I don't much like having that intrusion to whatever I'm doing.

I guess the business model makes sense, however I feel like they should concentrate on making the end-user experience more enjoyable. Maybe it's just my personal motives, but I try to help people rather than squeeze money out of them. Guess I wouldn't make a good business/sales-man.

anonymous_user
October 9th, 2009, 02:23 AM
If you're a Windows user, ad-supported software is not new. Eudora for example.

In fact, some free applications include ads and there is no paid adless version. Or the adware is included in the installer and is opt-out by default.

jwbrase
October 9th, 2009, 02:24 AM
I'm not sure if "advertising-supported" means that it will be supported by integrated ads, or some external ad campaign.

Shibblet
October 9th, 2009, 02:32 AM
I'm just not a fan of having ads pushed on people to make a bit more money. MS seems to be doing just fine in that department. I guess I can't pass much judgment until I see how they implement said ads. I guess growing up (I'm still fairly young) I've gotten used to being able to avoid most ads (DVRs make commercials nearly non-existent to me, etc) and I don't much like having that intrusion to whatever I'm doing.

No pushing is involved here. Your choice is Ads for free, or no ads for a price.

I guess the business model makes sense, however I feel like they should concentrate on making the end-user experience more enjoyable. Maybe it's just my personal motives, but I try to help people rather than squeeze money out of them. Guess I wouldn't make a good business/sales-man.

e-Machines was considering releasing a PC for free, provided you signed up with their ISP, and was willing to put up with pop-up ads. This was in 2002, I believe. It never panned out.

jonian_g
October 9th, 2009, 02:36 AM
I don't use MS Office, so I doesn't affect me.

Guess I wouldn't make a good business/sales-man.

As long as you are a good man, don't worry about the other.

AppleBonker
October 9th, 2009, 02:47 AM
I'm not sure if "advertising-supported" means that it will be supported by integrated ads, or some external ad campaign.

I would think it would be integrated. As far as I know, nearly all of the MS ad revenues are from MS product sales. I guess I haven't paid enough attention to see how many ads for non-MS companies appear in their products. And if that is the case, they would be cutting into profit margins by supporting Office Starter on those revenues.

No pushing is involved here. Your choice is Ads for free, or no ads for a price.

While I would mostly agree with this, but I don't think I'm the average user. The average person who equates a PC with Windows probably doesn't know much better. I don't think the average user thinks there is more of a choice than the two options you just pointed out. All I am hoping is that this opens the door to discovery of the third option (which you didn't mention) of a free and ad-free solution (open source or otherwise).

They're not pushing anything on me, but for the pre-built PCs that will likely come with either this Office Starter (with ads) or full Office (without ads), it seems like this is being pushed. Unfortunately, free and ad-free software options don't seem to be commonly offered.

tgalati4
October 9th, 2009, 02:58 AM
How come there isn't a version of MS Office where MS pays you to use it?

That's the version that I would use.

jwbrase
October 9th, 2009, 03:23 AM
How come there isn't a version of MS Office where MS pays you to use it?

That's the version that I would use.

Ay-men!

SunnyRabbiera
October 9th, 2009, 03:35 AM
If you're a Windows user, ad-supported software is not new. Eudora for example.

In fact, some free applications include ads and there is no paid adless version. Or the adware is included in the installer and is opt-out by default.

Yeh but Eudora is third party software, you should not have to deal with this crap from first party software.
Whats friggin next, IE9 with adds for the free tabless version, $99 for the tabs?

anonymous_user
October 9th, 2009, 03:45 AM
I don't see what the big deal is. You can still get the regular ad-free Office for the regular ad-free Office price.

Maybe someone wants Office (Word and Excel anyways) and would rather deal with ads then pay up. This would be perfect for them.

joey-elijah
October 9th, 2009, 05:56 AM
I don't see what the big deal is. You can still get the regular ad-free Office for the regular ad-free Office price.

Maybe someone wants Office (Word and Excel anyways) and would rather deal with ads then pay up. This would be perfect for them.

These ad-supported versions will be lacking features though. What features, we dont' know yet...

"Hmm... why can't i bold this text... hang on i'll change font.. wait.. can't do that either. Ooh! What a pretty advert!"

:p

anonymous_user
October 9th, 2009, 06:04 AM
What features, we dont' know yet...
Exactly and I think the missing features will be advanced stuff. Its only logical right?

Also the blog says this Office Starter edition will a replacement for Microsoft Works. Maybe it won't be so bad.

pwnst*r
October 9th, 2009, 06:18 AM
I don't use MS Office, so I doesn't affect me.

then why did you bother posting?

joey-elijah
October 9th, 2009, 06:23 AM
Exactly and I think the missing features will be advanced stuff. Its only logical right?

Also the blog says this Office Starter edition will a replacement for Microsoft Works. Maybe it won't be so bad.

Exactly. I think it'll be actually useful for once. The amount of times people would try and insist they used word when they had saved a file in that blasted .wps file format...

If grandma got a laptop - she's be more than happy with office (with ads)

misfitpierce
October 9th, 2009, 06:37 AM
What a surprise. Another windows app with ad's in it... So amazed... Not.... hahaha!

ade234uk
October 9th, 2009, 07:03 AM
Just not simple with Microsoft is it. Trouble is, free with them means reduced functionality, or some other bollox condition.

Unfortunately, the average computer user will think this is great. Microsoft have given me a free office suite, thank you Microsoft I love you again. Now I can send ****** powerpoint jokes to all my friends on Messenger.

Giant Speck
October 9th, 2009, 07:28 AM
Whatever happened to the Works suite?

Icehuck
October 9th, 2009, 08:10 AM
Whatever happened to the Works suite?

It didn't work. :P

Works is still made but it's target is for people who don't need Office but could use some sort of productivity software.

Khakilang
October 9th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Luckily I ditch MS Office and go for Open office. Now thats a different. I don't what all the fuss about having he latest version and use on an OS which is already slow. Mount the MS Office on it only make it worse.

AppleBonker
October 9th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Exactly. I think it'll be actually useful for once. The amount of times people would try and insist they used word when they had saved a file in that blasted .wps file format...

If grandma got a laptop - she's be more than happy with office (with ads)

I would have to agree entirely with this thought. However, I must point out that grandma would likely be just as happy with Open Office (for example). And if that were an option, the computer could possibly be cheaper (or the profit margins would be bigger for the builder). Like I said, I just hope this opens some people up to the other options available to them.

marchwarden
October 9th, 2009, 02:36 PM
I'm not surprised, I imagine that it would reduce the piracy aspect of the world's dependence on Office. If most of the people that pirate the software do so just for Word and Excel then this keeps the same people using the software. Therefore, Microsoft can still control document formats and get the pirates to "pay up" as it were.

I agree, smells of market abuse IMO.

Once a monopoly is established the aim is to lock people in at the lowest possible cost. At this level of market share innovation is no longer key to obtaining competitive advantage, maintaining customer dependence is.

You may have the potential to be a good businessman, just not a monopolist. :)

forrestcupp
October 9th, 2009, 04:57 PM
This is actually better than how it currently is. Now you buy a new computer and it has a crippled MS Office trial that only lasts a little while, harassing you the whole time.

Now they're giving you a usable version, and if you want the complete version sans ads, you just pay for it like you always have had to.

This is actually a positive thing.

Shibblet
October 9th, 2009, 08:28 PM
While I would mostly agree with this, but I don't think I'm the average user. The average person who equates a PC with Windows probably doesn't know much better. I don't think the average user thinks there is more of a choice than the two options you just pointed out. All I am hoping is that this opens the door to discovery of the third option (which you didn't mention) of a free and ad-free solution (open source or otherwise).

Right, but they don't want you to use their product for "free." They want you to pay for it by looking at ads, or buying it outright. You do however have the third choice, which is to use different software."

Take for example the e-Machines computer I mentioned. A lot of people were ordering it for free, paying for the internet service, and installing their own copy of Windows on it, and not having to deal with any of the ads. Successfully circumventing the whole reason for e-Machines to give out a free computer to begin with.

Bear in mind, if there is a loophole, someone WILL (not might) exploit it for their own benefit.

They're not pushing anything on me, but for the pre-built PCs that will likely come with either this Office Starter (with ads) or full Office (without ads), it seems like this is being pushed. Unfortunately, free and ad-free software options don't seem to be commonly offered.

Currently, new PC's ship with Microsoft Office Trial Edition pre-installed. Trial edition software has it's roots in "shareware" of the 90's. Let them use it for a while, then if they really want it, they can buy it. (I wonder how many off-topic arguments will be brought forth from this paragraph... Hmmm.)

This is great for us Open Sourcer's because we can disregard their software entirely. But for the average joe, who doesn't even know software like Open Office exists, they tend to buy the copy of MS Office, and use it.

Linux users are an entirely different breed. Most of us won't buy software because everything we need is available for free in our distributions repository.

Windows is a good product. But Marketing is what has caused it to be the dominant force in the computer world. Inferior marketing (or lack of funds) is why Linux still isn't.

AppleBonker
October 10th, 2009, 12:46 AM
Shibblet,

You are entirely right. I guess I'm just bummed for the people that don't know any better that will now be living with either a slightly incompatible office suite (Works) or a crippled office suite (Office Starter) that contains ads. I will continue to hope that this opens more users up to the excellence of open source projects.

I'm not trying to force my choices or opinions on anyone, but I want more people to come to the realization (on their own) that open source is a great alternative. The more users supporting these projects, the better they become for me (that's just me being selfish).

Side note: I'm also hoping this doesn't increase piracy, as that does nothing to benefit anyone...

pwnst*r
October 10th, 2009, 01:08 AM
Just not simple with Microsoft is it. Trouble is, free with them means reduced functionality, or some other bollox condition.

Unfortunately, the average computer user will think this is great. Microsoft have given me a free office suite, thank you Microsoft I love you again. Now I can send ****** powerpoint jokes to all my friends on Messenger.

if the average computer user thinks it's great, MS has done their job. bitter much?

also, nice to see that the cuss word filter works good here.

NoaHall
October 10th, 2009, 01:08 AM
As far as I know, it won't have powerpoint. Word and Excel only.

Shibblet
October 10th, 2009, 01:44 AM
Shibblet,

You are entirely right. I guess I'm just bummed for the people that don't know any better that will now be living with either a slightly incompatible office suite (Works) or a crippled office suite (Office Starter) that contains ads. I will continue to hope that this opens more users up to the excellence of open source projects.

I hear you brother. I will give you one pointer. Whether or not you use Ubuntu or Windows, Open Office is available to everyone, free of charge. Some times the first step to helping someone see the light of Linux, is to help them see the light of Open Source software. And this might be an argument, but Open Office is the front runner in transitioning from Windows to Linux.

not trying to force my choices or opinions on anyone, but I want more people to come to the realization (on their own) that open source is a great alternative. The more users supporting these projects, the better they become for me (that's just me being selfish).

Yep, forcing the software, or talking it up to a point where it could never live up to their expectations (Star Wars Ep: 1) isn't going to help either. I have found that just using Ubuntu, usually has people ask questions like "Why do your windows wobble? Did it just burn up?" Stuff like that. Get's them interested.

Throw a LiveCD of Ubuntu to them, and let them give it a test whirl without any changes to their system. You never know, they might be like us, and love it.

Side note: I'm also hoping this doesn't increase piracy, as that does nothing to benefit anyone...

Open source is the cure for software piracy.

jflaker
October 10th, 2009, 01:56 AM
So now M$ is going to create crippleware??

Interesting

pwnst*r
October 10th, 2009, 01:59 AM
As far as I know, it won't have powerpoint. Word and Excel only.

again, perfect for the avg home user.

CJ Master
October 10th, 2009, 02:25 AM
I hear you brother. I will give you one pointer. Whether or not you use Ubuntu or Windows, Open Office is available to everyone, free of charge. Some times the first step to helping someone see the light of Linux, is to help them see the light of Open Source software. And this might be an argument, but Open Office is the front runner in transitioning from Windows to Linux.

Open Office isn't free of cost. You're paying for lack of compatibility with MS Office. Microsoft Office has more features as well.

anonymous_user
October 10th, 2009, 02:29 AM
Some pics of the ads:

http://www.zwixy.com/thumbs/1214798198500x35016842.jpg (http://www.zwixy.com/image-id-1214798198500x35016842.jpg.html)

http://www.zwixy.com/thumbs/425081628500x35016843.jpg (http://www.zwixy.com/image-id-425081628500x35016843.jpg.html)

Source: http://gizmodo.com/5378337/the-ads-in-microsoft-office-starter-2010

Shibblet
October 10th, 2009, 02:34 AM
Open Office isn't free of cost. You're paying for lack of compatibility with MS Office. Microsoft Office has more features as well.

What lack of compatibility? I have yet to find an incompatibility between MS Office and Open Office. Open Office will save a file into a MS Office 2003 format, which is completely readable by MS Office 2007. Also Open Office can open MS Office 2007 files.

But it's not a clone of MS Office, it's a compatible alternative. If you don't want to spend the money of MS Office, or watch ad's in the new one, then download Open Office.

And yes, it does have more features, but for the average user, they're unnecessary.

I submit to you the Photoshop vs. Gimp never-ending argument. Photoshop has more features than Gimp, but for the average user, Gimp does everything they need. Also available for Windows.

Giant Speck
October 10th, 2009, 03:51 AM
Some pics of the ads:

http://www.zwixy.com/thumbs/1214798198500x35016842.jpg (http://www.zwixy.com/image-id-1214798198500x35016842.jpg.html)

http://www.zwixy.com/thumbs/425081628500x35016843.jpg (http://www.zwixy.com/image-id-425081628500x35016843.jpg.html)

Source: http://gizmodo.com/5378337/the-ads-in-microsoft-office-starter-2010

That's all? Those don't look bad at all. They look quite tasteful, actually.

madjr
October 10th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Is the starter edition free as in beer? If not, then I don't see the point in ads really.

Ads drive me nuts, and reduces the worker's productivity.

yay a "choose your office software" ballot :)

CJ Master
October 10th, 2009, 06:47 PM
What lack of compatibility? I have yet to find an incompatibility between MS Office and Open Office. Open Office will save a file into a MS Office 2003 format, which is completely readable by MS Office 2007. Also Open Office can open MS Office 2007 files.

But it's not a clone of MS Office, it's a compatible alternative. If you don't want to spend the money of MS Office, or watch ad's in the new one, then download Open Office.

And yes, it does have more features, but for the average user, they're unnecessary.

I submit to you the Photoshop vs. Gimp never-ending argument. Photoshop has more features than Gimp, but for the average user, Gimp does everything they need. Also available for Windows.

That's good for you, I'm happy you're having good compatibility. I do as well. However, people dealing with more advance documents (including documents with scripts in them) will have more of a problem.