PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] LaTeX characters

Gwasanaethau
October 8th, 2009, 11:10 PM
Hi all,

Hopefully this is a simple question to answer, but unfortunately my cyberspace scanning via a well known search engine has come to nothing.

Basically, I was wondering how one goes about inserting straight quotes into a LaTeX document. LaTeX automatically 'curlifies' all the quotes.

As an extension to this, is there a way of getting LaTeX to show characters based on their Unicode code-point?

Thanks!

Can+~
October 8th, 2009, 11:28 PM
Curly quotes are inserted in this fashion:
``Hello''

I've never tried using "straight" quotes.

Not sure about your second question, do you want to enter additional characters directly? Try input encoding (I use it for spanish characters):

\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
\usepackage[spanish]{babel}

Edit: I also found:
http://pokristensson.com/unicodelatex.html

Gwasanaethau
October 9th, 2009, 12:03 AM
Thank you, Can+~, that link to the XeTeX stuff looks very interesting. It might be just what I'm looking for.

Can+~
October 9th, 2009, 12:28 AM
Thank you, Can+~, that link to the XeTeX stuff looks very interesting. It might be just what I'm looking for.

I would recommend you to stick with plain LaTeX and look for the appropriate input encoding for your language.

Gwasanaethau
October 9th, 2009, 12:38 AM
In addition, this (http://mjtsai.com/blog/2005/07/29/roman-straight-quotes-in-pdflatex/) turned out to be useful. I tried this before but couldn't get it to work – seems to be grand now!

Thanks again!

P.S. I will give your recommendation a go…

Update: \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc} is precisely what I'm looking for, thanks!

unutbu
October 9th, 2009, 12:56 AM
Maybe this?

Here are the {\tt"}straight{\tt"} quotes.
Here are the {\tt\char'15}single{\tt\char'15} quotes.

Gwasanaethau
October 9th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Hi all,

Thanks a million for your replies. After digesting and distilling your suggestions, I've found a solution that works. As a test, I made the following file (named test.xetex in my home directory):

% filename: test.xetex:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\setromanfont{DejaVu Serif}
\begin{document}

\section{Straight Quotes in XeTeX Test}
Can it render these correctly? Let's see!
CC='"gcc -m64"'test

\section{Curly Quotes in XeTeX Test}
Can it render these correctly? Let's see!
CC=gcc -m64test

What about German? Let's see!

And now French?

Norwegian?

Greek? αβγδ

Russian? по-русски

Korean? 한글음

\end{document}

I then ran xelatex ~/test.xetex on it, and got the PDF output as attached. This is perfect for what I need! It turns out that XeTeX does not see quotes as LaTeX does if you want curly quotes, you have to use the correct 'curly quote' code-points (U+201{8,9,C,D}). The Korean text doesn't appear correctly because I don't have a TTF font capable of showing Hangeul (yet!)