PDA

View Full Version : Gay & Geek... Rare Combo

HomoGleek
October 8th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Hi

Just wondered if I was correct in my assumption, that being gay and a 'geek' was a rare occurrence?

Am I the only gay Ubuntu user here? :popcorn:

aysiu
October 8th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Do you want me to add a poll to this thread?

Jimleko211
October 8th, 2009, 09:53 PM
I do hope that this thread doesn't get closed. I don't think anything is wrong with being gay, but with it being controversial and all (needlessly...), the staff might deem it proper to close it.

I am not gay, nor have any gay geek friends, but I never really thought it before. I guess it's rare? I wouldn't think so, though, despite that I haven't met any before.

HomoGleek
October 8th, 2009, 09:53 PM
RE: Poll

May be helpful... good idea.

Wish I had thought of it myself :)

Xbehave
October 8th, 2009, 09:54 PM
I have many gay geek friends so i doubt it, i would guess there would be a a tiny bias towards gay geeks (e.g a larger % of geeks are gay than % of normal people) because we tend to be less conservative (and conservatives are more likely to suppress their gayness)

Infact the only time i remember feeling like a lesser geek was at my birthday party when the only other people that had arrived were gay geeks.

HomoGleek
October 8th, 2009, 09:55 PM
I do hope that this thread doesn't get closed. I don't think anything is wrong with being gay, but with it being controversial and all (needlessly...), the staff might deem it proper to close it.

I am not gay, nor have any gay geek friends, but I never really thought it before. I guess it's rare? I wouldn't think so, though, despite that I haven't met any before.
Being gay and 'geek' myself I do find it rare, I have never met anybody gay and geeky online or offline myself

Jimleko211
October 8th, 2009, 09:55 PM
I have many gay geek friends so i doubt it, i would guess there would be a a tiny bias towards gay geeks (e.g a larger % of geeks are gay than % of normal people) because we tend to be less conservative (and conservatives are more likely to suppress their gayness)

Aye, that is true. I've met about ONE geek that is conservative, and even then, he's on the brink between moderate and conservative.

NoaHall
October 8th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Hm, I know a gay person. I feel sorry for him, because he is so buried in his own self hate, that he has turned to insanely strong Christianity. I wish he would not feel this self hate, and be happy with himself for who he is.

dje
October 8th, 2009, 09:58 PM
I consider myself Pansexual (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pansexuality)

RichardLinx
October 8th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Am I the only gay Ubuntu user here?
I think you very well may be.

HomoGleek
October 8th, 2009, 10:00 PM
I don't know if I am happy or sad about this....

I maybe the only gay in the community :)

saulgoode
October 8th, 2009, 10:01 PM
What does it mean to be "narrow"?

NoaHall
October 8th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Seen little Britain? You could be the Scottish Daffyd Thomas.

Jimleko211
October 8th, 2009, 10:03 PM
@ Saul: Like not curious. If you're not narrow, you might be fantasizing about that guy next door, even if you do nothing of it. If you're narrow, it's females and females only. Or males if you're a female.

themusicalduck
October 8th, 2009, 10:04 PM
I do know a gay geek. Although he isn't an Ubuntu user.

|Mitch|
October 8th, 2009, 10:05 PM
straight & narrow

HomoGleek
October 8th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Seen little Britain? You could be the Scottish Daffyd Thomas.
Exactly what I was referring too :D

Xbehave
October 8th, 2009, 10:07 PM
+1 didn't know that was the best term for it, but that sums me up, I would be bi but I've never actually found any guys attractive. (I voted bi with straight leanings).

NoaHall
October 8th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Haha, good. Ah, I love fellow geeks - at least here I can understand the "culture" and fit in.

SunnyRabbiera
October 8th, 2009, 10:18 PM
I work with gays at work, some of them are very tech.

dragos240
October 8th, 2009, 10:25 PM
I am asexual. I do not feel for any other human being in any extreme way. I am different than most.

misfitpierce
October 8th, 2009, 10:28 PM
Straight and narrow myself. Have no plans of diverting from the path hahahaha!

cmay
October 8th, 2009, 10:30 PM
I have known a few gay people in my life in connection with work relations but I my self is straight and narrow as can be.

I never seen a geek other than back in school where I knew the most geeky types at our class. they where 14 and 12 so they where not full aware of orientation at the time but I heard they never stopped playing wiht electronics long enough to become aware of such things as females or relations to others in the direction of boy/girlfreinds.

Boom!!!
October 8th, 2009, 10:34 PM
I define myself as celibate and continence from any sexual activity.

Regarding homosexuality, Only ever had one friend who was gay, it was at college and one of my other mates started picking on him so I stood up for him.

MasterNetra
October 8th, 2009, 10:40 PM

So I take it you would equally date and go beyond with a horse as you would with another person? Well I suppose thats spreading the love...Not sure how I feel about that but i try to be open minded.

sisco311
October 8th, 2009, 10:46 PM
other: Straight but not narrow or Bi and straight-leaning & transromantic

dje
October 8th, 2009, 11:18 PM
So I take it you would equally date and go beyond with a horse as you would with another person? Well I suppose thats spreading the love...Not sure how I feel about that but i try to be open minded.

No I only have feelings like that for humans. However I am a vegetarian, hopefully soon to be vegan

starcannon
October 9th, 2009, 12:08 AM
Hi

Just wondered if I was correct in my assumption, that being gay and a 'geek' was a rare occurrence?

One of the geekiest people I know is Gay. I guess that sexual orientation just does not come up in conversation that often. This poll won't mean a whole helluva a lot, obviously the Gay/Bi/Trans to Straight ratio will show more Straight people since Straights are a majority to begin with. What would be interesting, and imo meaningful would be to offer up a poll somewhere that could sample the Gay Community, and find out what percentage are geeks, then one could do the same in the Straight Community, and then compare percentages, to find out which community has a higher rate of geekyness in it. This poll will most likely just tell you what percentage of Gay and Straight People took the poll; and possibly what percentage of the geek community, and the Ubuntu Geek community to be more precise, is Straight or Gay.

Blah, I hate statistics.

P.S.
I voted Other:
Straight. Not narrow, not curious, just Straight.

SomeGuyDude
October 9th, 2009, 12:19 AM

Depends on the horse.

yknivag
October 9th, 2009, 12:25 AM
Am I the only gay Ubuntu user here?

Hi Darren, not only are you not the only gay Ubuntu user on this forum, you're not the only gay Ubuntu user on this forum in the UK ;-)

I don't think being gay and a geek are mutually exclusive - in fact I think to a point they go very well together.

SomeGuyDude
October 9th, 2009, 12:28 AM
Hi Darren, not only are you not the only gay Ubuntu user on this forum, you're not the only gay Ubuntu user on this forum in the UK ;-)

...or in this thread, it would seem.

JillSwift
October 9th, 2009, 12:29 AM

I don't think being gay and a geek are mutually exclusive - in fact I think to a point they go very well together.
I'd also think being gay and being a geek go as well together as being straight and being a geek.

Otherwise, it is like thinking there are no women geeks. It's just a preposterous stereotype.

SomeGuyDude
October 9th, 2009, 12:45 AM

To be honest I don't think they go well together OR not together. It's like trying to correlate what books you like to read with your dietary habits. The two seem kinda independent of one another.

So I'd wager a solid 10% on this board are nearer the one end of the Kinsey Scale than the other.

cdekter
October 9th, 2009, 12:49 AM
HotGayNerds.com (http://www.hotgaynerds.com)

Nuff sed :P

tuxxy
October 9th, 2009, 12:51 AM
Straight and Narrow :)

dragos240
October 9th, 2009, 12:52 AM

Oh that's funny. A website about this. You guys are NOT alone apparently!

juancarlospaco
October 9th, 2009, 01:13 AM
Whats "Normal" people and whats "Rare" people...?

Im heterosexual, and in the past i was dating with a bisexual girl, but no one is rare.

starcannon
October 9th, 2009, 01:15 AM

Im heterosexual, and in the past i was dating with a bisexual girl, but no one is rare.

It has been my experience that Normal people are also Rare people; and that I prefer the alternative.

Chronon
October 9th, 2009, 01:23 AM

There is no such thing as a normal person, it's a statistical concept, that's all.

beesthorpe
October 9th, 2009, 01:25 AM
Actually Ubuntu's "lead developer" is gay - so you're in good company :)

Tipped OuT
October 9th, 2009, 01:25 AM

I am highly offended by that link, your post, this thread, and this world.

Jesus_Valdez
October 9th, 2009, 01:29 AM
I consider myself straight, but I think that we only have 1 life and we have to live it the best we can, including sex prefferences.

hanzomon4
October 9th, 2009, 01:31 AM
You're not alone I'm friends with a girl who has great taste in women and OSes. Personally I love the ladies, they're just so freakin hot. I'm glad that the world is diverse though, I'm not tolerent of it... I'm a freakin fan

LookTJ
October 9th, 2009, 01:49 AM
Straight :)

juancarlospaco
October 9th, 2009, 01:50 AM
Sexuality is Open Source...

BrokenKingpin
October 9th, 2009, 02:14 AM
I used to know a gay software developer, but he was not a Ubuntu user.

CJ Master
October 9th, 2009, 02:16 AM

That doesn't even make any sense. And why do you always make your posts like this?

Fact is, Homosexuals and Geeks are rare. Gay geeks are probably almost nonexistant...

starcannon
October 9th, 2009, 02:20 AM
Thats okay, really, no one wants you to post a link to the code here.

Xbehave
October 9th, 2009, 02:23 AM
Fact is, Homosexuals and Geeks are rare. Gay geeks are probably almost nonexistant...
Only Homosexuals are not rare (17% are gay/bi in the pole and 77% are straight 1 in 5 is not rare). Thats not taking into acount that the 3-4 of "other" would probably be labeled gay by a 'test' such as "would you ever sleep with a guy?".

Tbh geeks arn't that rare either, but it depends on your circle of friends so much harder to put a number on.

meeples
October 9th, 2009, 02:25 AM
i've got a gay friend who studies linux programming :) he's not an avid user of ubuntu but he has it on a virtual machine in his mac :)

joey-elijah
October 9th, 2009, 03:36 AM

I think he may very well *not* be...

joey-elijah
October 9th, 2009, 03:37 AM
That doesn't even make any sense. And why do you always make your posts like this?

Geeks may be rare, but 11% of any given population is homosexual, so homosexuals less so.

Regenweald
October 9th, 2009, 03:38 AM
Although I don't get what sexual preference and operating systems have in common. Gay or straight, just help me fix my alpha release when it breaks :)

SomeGuyDude
October 9th, 2009, 03:39 AM
For the record, that link was a lie. I didn't see any Hot Gay Nerds on there at all.

joey-elijah
October 9th, 2009, 03:39 AM
No I only have feelings like that for humans. However I am a vegetarian, hopefully soon to be vegan

Yay! Do It! Being Vegan is tehe awesome! :D

joey-elijah
October 9th, 2009, 03:40 AM
Although I don't get what sexual preference and operating systems have in common. Gay or straight, just help me fix my alpha release when it breaks :)

i think the OP was just curious, tis all

joey-elijah
October 9th, 2009, 03:43 AM
You're not alone I'm friends with a girl who has great taste in women and OSes. Personally I love the ladies, they're just so freakin hot. I'm glad that the world is diverse though, I'm not tolerent of it... I'm a freakin fan

now THAT is a sig-worthy quote :P

other: Straight but not narrow or Bi and straight-leaning & transromantic

and that is one awesome word!

sideaway
October 9th, 2009, 03:47 AM
i reckon that 10% (11%?) gay statistic is fudged, 6illion, people, 600million homosexuals...
I have two gay friends in a sample size of about 50 friends. No gay wider family members. one gay out of my three of my sports teams. none at work (small company however) It probably orignated as someones guess and circulated.

SomeGuyDude
October 9th, 2009, 03:58 AM
i reckon that 10% (11%?) gay statistic is fudged, 6illion, people, 600million homosexuals...
I have two gay friends in a sample size of about 50 friends. No gay wider family members. one gay out of my three of my sports teams. none at work (small company however) It probably orignated as someones guess and circulated.

Yes, because everyone knows if they don't TELL you they're gay, that means they aren't. No one hides their sexuality or anything, no sir.

Tipped OuT
October 9th, 2009, 04:00 AM
Yes, because everyone knows if they don't TELL you they're gay, that means they aren't. No one hides their sexuality or anything, no sir.

I think I would be able to tell a homosexual person from a heterosexual person based off of the way they act and dress.

Xbehave
October 9th, 2009, 04:08 AM
I have two gay friends in a sample size of about 50 friends. No gay wider family members. one gay out of my three of my sports teams. none at work (small company however) It probably orignated as someones guess and circulated.Tbh most gay people don't go round shouting I ♥ men, so I doubt you actually have any idea of how many people you know are gay. Add to that the difficulty in deciding what counts as gay (does bi?, what about bi curious? what about pansexuals?).

wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_sexual_orientation) has an article on this and the short version is most western countries give figures of between 5-10% homosexuality in recent studies.

Jesus_Valdez
October 9th, 2009, 04:09 AM
I think I would be able to tell a homosexual person from a heterosexual person based off of the way they act and dress.
that reminds me one great Simpsons chapter call Homer's Phobia

I like my beer cold, my TV loud, and my homosexuals FLAMING!

But, You know that stadistic that say that, like 10% of the human population is from India? I call that shenanigans, amog all the people I have meet, I only know 1 person from India.

I think I would be able to tell a Indian person from a non-Indian person based off of the way they act and dress.

SomeGuyDude
October 9th, 2009, 04:12 AM

And you would think wrong. Very wrong. Do you honestly believe a dude playing Call of Duty wearing ripped up jeans and a Slayer t-shirt, drinking a PBR is incapable of being gay?

DeadSuperHero
October 9th, 2009, 04:14 AM
I prefer to use the term UniSexual for myself. In layman's terms, "I like sex."

Specifically, however, the people I prefer to date and spend time with are transgendered. The trans community is a wide spectrum. I'm attracted to the blurring between the lines, and I honestly believe that if they're a woman on the inside, that's all that counts.

That said, I get along fine with guys and genetic girls just fine. The real difficulty is finding my match when it comes to tech. I'd be stoked to date a transgendered (non-op) geek girl.

Someday.

Xbehave
October 9th, 2009, 04:15 AM

You sir are a fool, outside of the bedroom gays blend in with straight people perfectly well.

Hint: I have gone out in heals (something i guess would get me labled gay), but i doubt any of my gay friends have (ok so 1 of them probably has but it would be hard to not guess that guy was guy)

edit: +1 internets to Jesus_Valdez, i too do not believe in Indians!

edit2: comment toned down so i don't get spanked by an admin, ...unless its a female admin...or a male one...or a transgender.

PhilGil
October 9th, 2009, 04:21 AM
The vast majority of gays don't look, dress or act any differently than straights. Also, at the age of 15 (per your profile), most gay people in your peer group will not have come out yet.

Geek culture is strongly male and heterosexual. There are probably lots of gay geeks (just like there are lots of women geeks), but they're not as visible because of the prevailing culture.

RiceMonster
October 9th, 2009, 04:21 AM
...and this thread has begun it's journey to closing.

SomeGuyDude
October 9th, 2009, 04:22 AM
Maybe a mod can just clean it up some?

I suppose on a board littered with teenage computer denizens it was inevitable.

joey-elijah
October 9th, 2009, 04:25 AM
...and this thread has begun it's journey to closing.

It's a shame that threads like this always end up getting closed - it must deprive gay ubuntu users of feeling entirely "part" of the community when any time their sexuality is mentioned out come the ignorant, closely followed by the "lock" hammer.

(And before it's mentioned that sexuality shouldn't be discussed on a tech forum - this is the chat section; you can post your top 5 sexy women or when you last vomited, and homosexuality isn't a taboo; it isn't something hush, so threads like this *should* be allowed to stay open without fear of homophobia. I got a warning from a mod for blasting a thread that was intensely homophobic a year or so back - i don't see why homophobia should be tolerated on this forum, racism wouldn't. I would say sexism wouldn't but... )

RiceMonster
October 9th, 2009, 04:28 AM
It's a shame that threads like this always end up getting closed - it must deprive gay ubuntu users of feeling entirely "part" of the community when any time their sexuality is mentioned out come the ignorant, closely followed by the "lock" hammer.

I question why we need to discuss things like people's sexuality, gender, ethnicity, etc in the the first place.

mehaga
October 9th, 2009, 04:28 AM
Wow, what a thread.

OP is not posting any more, so I guess he achieved his goal - found a boyfriend :)

Straight and narrow. And disturbed by this thread.

SomeGuyDude
October 9th, 2009, 04:30 AM
I question why we need to discuss things like people's sexuality, gender, ethnicity, etc in the the first place.

Why not? People always want to feel like they belong, we all seek kindred spirits and like-minded individuals. Discussing race/gender/sexuality comes from the same part of the brain that has most of us posting in here with like-minded computer users.

joey-elijah
October 9th, 2009, 04:32 AM

Because why shouldn't we? And the OP was only asking if he was the only gay Ubuntu user; this isn't a thread discussing the rights or wrongs of homosexuality - which sadly is what any thread by gay users seems to get hijacked and moulded into :(

Xbehave
October 9th, 2009, 04:32 AM
Geek culture is strongly male and heterosexual. There are probably lots of gay geeks (just like there are lots of women geeks), but they're not as visible because of the prevailing culture.
I dispute that, after failing to be a jock i think geek culture is strongly male (waiting to get slapped by somebody who thinks that makes me sexist), but I don't think that geek culture is particularly macho and so I think it is less heterosexual culturally than most cliques (sport, car, etc), in part because its much more self deprecating than other cliques (not that being gay is deprecating, but the lack of peer pressure to "be a man", etc makes geeks less macho/stereotypically hetro)

Dimitriid
October 9th, 2009, 04:33 AM
I am a geek, I consider myself pretty open minded but just haven't seen another man I felt attracted to. Straight but not narrow it is

mehaga
October 9th, 2009, 04:34 AM
You sir are an idiot...
Please!

joey-elijah
October 9th, 2009, 04:36 AM
I dispute that, after failing to be a jock i think geek culture is strongly male (waiting to get slapped by somebody who thinks that makes me sexist), but I don't think that geek culture is particularly macho and so I think it is less heterosexual culturally than most cliques (sport, car, etc), in part because its much more self deprecating than other cliques (not that being gay is deprecating, but the lack of peer pressure to "be a man", etc makes geeks less macho/stereotypically hetro)

Nah, i agree that "geek" culture is less macho than other cliques, but there is an air of.. "i still need to prove i'm a man" in some sections of certain parts of... certain geek circles ;)

I do think, on the whole, "geeks" are far more broad-minded when it comes to people who don't fit the 'perceived' norms for whatever reasons, but there is a knee-jerk reaction somewhat to prove "we geeks are still men." (Eh, Mark? :p)

SomeGuyDude
October 9th, 2009, 04:38 AM
All "men" want to prove their "manliness", even the gay ones. :)

zmjjmz
October 9th, 2009, 04:39 AM
I am asexual. I do not feel for any other human being in any extreme way. I am different than most.

I have a feeling that your feelings will change in 2 years. Entirely.

joey-elijah
October 9th, 2009, 04:39 AM
All "men" want to prove their "manliness", even the gay ones. :)

I meant in terms of coming across as ... a bit homophobic; that was the reason why.

I don't feel the need to prove my manliness though.. it just exuuuuudes from me :p

/joke

mehaga
October 9th, 2009, 04:40 AM
i have a feeling that your feelings will change in 2 years. Entirely.

:d

PhilGil
October 9th, 2009, 04:41 AM
Nah, i agree that "geek" culture is less macho than other cliques, but there is an air of.. "i still need to prove i'm a man" in some sections of certain parts of... certain geek circles ;)

I do think, on the whole, "geeks" are far more broad-minded when it comes to people who don't fit the 'perceived' norms for whatever reasons, but there is a knee-jerk reaction somewhat to prove "we geeks are still men." (Eh, Mark? :p)
Said far better than I could. I don't dispute that geek culture is more accepting and open minded, but the "I love the boobies" noise can sometimes be deafening. Spend some time in a typical Fark thread.

Dimitriid
October 9th, 2009, 04:42 AM
Men, like all humans, are basically insecure creatures. Hence there will always be enough homophobia to go around, regardless of whenever those "men" are justified in their insecurities due to being unattractive and/or socially ackward or right down socially retarded, or they are actually marginally good looking and/or socially adequate, or not geeks so to speak.

joey-elijah
October 9th, 2009, 04:43 AM
Said far better than I could. I don't dispute that geek culture is more accepting and open minded, but the "I love the boobies" noise can sometimes be deafening. Spend some time in a typical Fark thread.

Haha. THAT is the perfect description.

SomeGuyDude
October 9th, 2009, 04:43 AM

Well that's a bit different.

UF is a place where people have gathered for a common interest. In this case, Ubuntu. Places like Fark/Fazed/4chan are more full of people who couldn't cut it in the real world so they act like a jerk online instead. They're the kids that WISH they'd been cool enough to party with the jocks, so now they're angry and bitter and want to prove that they're more manly than those guys ever were (hence the crazy high number of "MMA fighters").

lisati
October 9th, 2009, 04:46 AM
As a "straight" who has been mistaken for being "gay" and who has mildly conservative tendencies, I am slightly disturbed by this thread. I'm also pleasently surprised how well behaved the contributors have been.

There is nothing wrong with being bright and cheerful, and neither is there anything wrong with defying the stereotypes by being unique.

ibuclaw
October 9th, 2009, 04:46 AM

Since when was the freedom of choice controversial?

SomeGuyDude
October 9th, 2009, 04:47 AM
Men, like all humans, are basically insecure creatures. Hence there will always be enough homophobia to go around, regardless of whenever those "men" are justified in their insecurities due to being unattractive and/or socially ackward or right down socially retarded, or they are actually marginally good looking and/or socially adequate, or not geeks so to speak.

And that homophobia comes across very specifically, too.

PLEASE FORGIVE PROFANITY HERE. I'M MAKING A POINT.

When the juvenile faux-macho gay-bashing comes around, it's always in the same direction. You get sentences like "you either suck a **** or you don't," and "you either take it up the *** or you don't." The implication is that it's a loss of masculinity by being the "woman role" in sex.

Men want to be dominant, aggressive, alpha males. Technically speaking you can be all that and gayer than Mario Cantone as long as you're a top, but that doesn't mesh well with homophobia. It's honestly less about the sexuality itself per se.

After all, if we're talking a competition of who's the most manly, what's LESS manly than giving UP the role of the man to another man?

joey-elijah
Well that's a bit different.

UF is a place where people have gathered for a common interest. In this case, Ubuntu. Places like Fark/Fazed/4chan are more full of people who couldn't cut it in the real world so they act like a jerk online instead. They're the kids that WISH they'd been cool enough to party with the jocks, so now they're angry and bitter and want to prove that they're more manly than those guys ever were (hence the crazy high number of "MMA fighters").

*sigh*

like i wanted to party with them anyway.. *grumble*

Tipped OuT
And you would think wrong. Very wrong. Do you honestly believe a dude playing Call of Duty wearing ripped up jeans and a Slayer t-shirt, drinking a PBR is incapable of being gay?

No, I'm talking in general, not rare occurrences.

joey-elijah
October 9th, 2009, 04:50 AM

The majority of gay people aren't "flamers" as you yanks call them. it's just the "flamers" are more noticeable.

(That makes gay spotting sound like a sport. fnarr.)

Tipped OuT
October 9th, 2009, 04:52 AM
The majority of gay people aren't "flamers" as you yanks call them. it's just the "flamers" are more obvious/easy to spot...

We "yanks" don't call them "flamers", we just call them gay. No offense intended to anyone.

hobo14
October 9th, 2009, 04:52 AM

I read the link, and as there are only two biological unmixed genders, "pansexual" is just another term for bisexual.

SomeGuyDude
October 9th, 2009, 04:53 AM

You're 15, man. You haven't really experienced enough of the world to know what's what. I thought my graduating class had one gay kid in it, with two that we suspected. I later found out that there were about 7 from the guys, no idea about the girls, and keep in mind my class was barely over 100 students. So 10% is pretty spot on.

You're speaking as someone whose exposure to homosexuality is in a high school setting where only those who CAN'T hide it are open.

I'm what I'd call a "wavering bisexual" (my moods shift) and believe me I'm not even close to your dumb little stereotype.

Tipped OuT
October 9th, 2009, 04:54 AM
You're 15, man. You haven't really experienced enough of the world to know what's what. I thought my graduating class had one gay kid in it, with two that we suspected. I later found out that there were about 7 from the guys, no idea about the girls, and keep in mind my class was barely over 100 students. So 10% is pretty spot on.

You're speaking as someone whose exposure to homosexuality is in a high school setting where only those who CAN'T hide it are open.

I'm what I'd call a "wavering bisexual" (my moods shift) and believe me I'm not even close to your dumb little stereotype.

Yes, true. And calm down, you're going to get this thread closed.

joey-elijah
October 9th, 2009, 04:55 AM
We "yanks" don't call them "flamers", we just call them gay. No offense intended to anyone.

Here my ignorance comes out - it's a Canadian friend who calls camp dudes flamers... but his accent sounds american... :redface:

oldsoundguy
October 9th, 2009, 04:56 AM
What difference does it make? Spent over 50 years in the entertainment business one way or another. Seen 'em all, worked with 'em all. (personally, I am a flaming heterosexual and love the ladies.)
All that counts .. can they do the job RIGHT. AND that applies to all fields.

Only those insecure in themselves are concerned about sexual orientation and feel threatened and have to put a label on it.

joey-elijah

I'm what I'd call a "wavering bisexual" (my moods shift).

That just gives me the mental image of a guy who wobbles a lot like he's made out of jelly/jam/jello (whatever the merrycan is for Jelly!) :s

SomeGuyDude
Yes, true. And calm down, you're going to get this thread closed.

I'm calm as a Hindu cow, my man. Don't mistake thorough explanations for agitation. I don't bear you any ill will, dude. Just pointing out that you're not exactly in a position to speak on the accuracy of your gay-dar. :P

Oh and for the record, "flamer" is a totally American term. I've heard it in five different states.

Xbehave
October 9th, 2009, 04:57 AM
I think you missed the point, any given "dude playing Call of Duty wearing ripped up jeans and a Slayer t-shirt, drinking a PBR" is just as likely to be gay as any dude not doing that. I have a gay friend who ticks all your hetro boxes
_,_,_,_,_,_._._._him me
Into heavy metal [x] [ ]
Into video games [x] [ ]
Into manly sports[x] [ ] wrestling
Gone out in heals [] [x]

whereas while im open to homosexuallity I've never done anything "gay" yet I would clearly be gay according to you and he would not

SomeGuyDude
October 9th, 2009, 04:57 AM
That just gives me the mental image of a guy who wobbles a lot like he's made out of jelly/jam/jello (whatever the merrycan is for Jelly!) :s

I've been out of the gym lately. You're not entirely inaccurate. :(

joey-elijah
October 9th, 2009, 04:58 AM
What difference does it make? Spent over 50 years in the entertainment business one way or another. Seen 'em all, worked with 'em all. (personally, I am a flaming heterosexual and love the ladies.)

Only those insecure in themselves are concerned about sexual orientation and feel threatened and have to put a label on it.

I agree there, but many minority groups somewhat "enjoy" having a label as it promotes community between their 'kind'. (emo's for example... :p)

Tipped OuT
October 9th, 2009, 04:58 AM
I'm calm as a Hindu cow, my man. Don't mistake thorough explanations for agitation. I don't bear you any ill will, dude. Just pointing out that you're not exactly in a position to speak on the accuracy of your gay-dar. :P

Oh and for the record, "flamer" is a totally American term. I've heard it in five different states.

Well like you said, I'm only 15 and only experienced the High School life. Gay is what's commonly used here. Never heard "flamer" before, that's news to me. :)

SomeGuyDude
October 9th, 2009, 05:00 AM

You'd have to either be gay or know one VERY well to understand it, then. Gay kids grow up with a perpetual feeling of not belonging, being an outsider, and that's even if they DON'T come out of the closet. The ones that do are, terribly, often exiled entirely. The football team in my high school beat up the openly gay kid in 9th grade and forced him to move to another district. :mad:

Take those kind of mental marks and it's entirely understandable that they'd want SOME kind of unity in their life. Think the bumblebee girl from Blind Melon's "No Rain" video.

joey-elijah
October 9th, 2009, 05:00 AM
You'd have to either be gay or know one VERY well to understand it, then. Gay kids grow up with a perpetual feeling of not belonging, being an outsider, and that's even if they DON'T come out of the closet. The ones that do are, terribly, often exiled entirely. The football team in my high school beat up the openly gay kid in 9th grade and forced him to move to another district. :mad:

Take those kind of mental marks and it's entirely understandable that they'd want SOME kind of unity in their life. Think the bumblebee girl from Blind Melon's "No Rain" video.

>_< You worded it better than I...

lisati
October 9th, 2009, 05:02 AM
Well like you said, I'm only 15 and only experienced the High School life. Gay is what's commonly used here. Never heard "flamer" before, that's news to me. :)

Many years ago, when I was 15 & attending a single-sex school there were a few other epithets and euphemisms that were more likely to be be used than either "flamer" or "gay". Some of them are unsuitable for a family-friendly forum such as this.

SomeGuyDude
October 9th, 2009, 05:02 AM

Haha, dude it was the same for me back then. I figured the only gay kid in the whole high school was the one who came to costume day in high heels and leather pants (although admittedly I was wrestling with my OWN feelings). Then I graduated, went through college, learned a whole lot.

...I -also- learned a lot by accidentally putting "interested in men and women" on my Facebook profile. Ever gotten hit on by a really gay thug? It's kinda weird.

joey-elijah
October 9th, 2009, 05:03 AM
Also, can i add that the poll for this has actually really surprised me.

It's not that i didn't think there were any gay/bi Ubuntu users it's just i wasn't expecting so many non-gay but non-straight but non-bi votes! Kudos to freedom!

joey-elijah
October 9th, 2009, 05:04 AM
Haha, dude it was the same for me back then. I figured the only gay kid in the whole high school was the one who came to costume day in high heels and leather pants (although admittedly I was wrestling with my OWN feelings). Then I graduated, went through college, learned a whole lot.

...I -also- learned a lot by accidentally putting "interested in men and women" on my Facebook profile. Ever gotten hit on by a really gay thug? It's kinda weird.

There's no need to call me a thug and besides it was all just a misunderstanding :p

lisati
October 9th, 2009, 05:05 AM
Kudos to freedom!

Kudos to the ability to respond well to the potentially damaging stuff as well!

SomeGuyDude
October 9th, 2009, 05:06 AM
There's no need to call me a thug and besides it was all just a misunderstanding :p

:lolflag: :lolflag:

DeadSuperHero
October 9th, 2009, 05:08 AM
Kudos to the ability to respond well to the potentially damaging stuff as well!

Too true. I came out to my family earlier this year and it was probably the most difficult emotionally scarring thing ever. I really have to say, I appreciate the open-mindedness and kindness shown by this community on such topics.

joey-elijah
October 9th, 2009, 05:11 AM
Too true. I came out to my family earlier this year and it was probably the most difficult emotionally scarring thing ever. I really have to say, I appreciate the open-mindedness and kindness shown by this community on such topics.

Youch! Well done for doing it though - honesty is the best policy and all. I'm very lucky my mother is rather bohemian (even now at 70!)

My father, however, threw my older brother out when he came out at 16...

Jesus_Valdez
October 9th, 2009, 05:14 AM
As long is not Arch vs Ubuntu vs Mint, everything goes well.

renkinjutsu
October 9th, 2009, 05:15 AM
Hi

You're my linux hero... i read your tutorial on "automating tasks with bash"

anyway.. back on topic.. I'm straight and narrow, and i don't have any gay-geek friends.. it seems the majority of them have found friends in Theatre, and some have other interests like eating and or making food.. and like one that likes history

none that are geeky :confused:

joey-elijah
October 9th, 2009, 05:17 AM
As long is not Arch vs Ubuntu vs Mint, everything goes well.

Ssssssh! Before you know it someone will mention Gnome-Shell and the entire thread will descend to a debauched expletive laden cess pit of repetitive BS.

joey-elijah
October 9th, 2009, 05:18 AM
You're my linux hero... i read your tutorial on "automating tasks with bash"

That sounds like something i want NEED to read! Link?!

joey-elijah
October 9th, 2009, 05:22 AM
I didn't want to go offtopic in my first post but as it doesn't really matter anymore. I'd really like to thank OP/mod for giving a wide selection of choices.

I personally think homo/hetro is just an artificial division made by society (one that will hopefully go away) and in reality everybody is bi/pansexual it's just that "gay"/"straight" people never meet somebody of the other gender they are attracted to enough to consider it (this is re-enforced by social sterotypes such as people considering themselves straight/gay). Perhaps the best way for people to see how ridiculous a using binary division to cover something as complex as sexuality, is to make use a "one drop (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-drop_rule)" rule and classify anybody who has thought of doing anything with somebody of the same gender as "flamers"

I think/hope that the high number of non straight&narrow/gay votes reflects that geeks are less confined by the norms of society.

I remember being 13 and saying something very similar to a bemused class during a humanities lesson...

My friend the oogler puts it more succinctly: -

o_0 <("Hey babbe - i dunt care whats gendar u arr. i am a peepul person... ")

pissedoffdude
October 9th, 2009, 06:24 AM
Hi

Neah, you 're not the only one. I've asked myself that same question many times and thought I was the only one.

bapoumba
October 9th, 2009, 06:33 AM
4 posts removed. Please watch the line. Reproduction/pleasure is not the subject of this thread. It would be a shame that _once again_a discussion not related to being a dominant ubuntu male user gets closed.

HappinessNow
October 9th, 2009, 06:53 AM
Hi

Straight Ally of the LGBTQQIA (Lesbian/Gay/Bi/Transgendered/Queer/Questioning/Intersexed/Ally) community.

Sand & Mercury
October 9th, 2009, 06:54 AM
Since my post got deleted I feel the desire to re-iterate it, sans off-topic statements.

I'm not gay but I kinda like gay people.

Hallvor
October 9th, 2009, 07:01 AM
Hi

I couldn`t care less if you are gay or not, but this is what I have a problem grasping: Why the need to advertise your own preferences? Are you hoping to meet someone or what? If so, try a dating forum. If not, I still don`t understand why you do this. It must be a gay thing; after all, you don`t see any straight people spamming the web saying they are straight. The shock value of this is long time gone, and I think most people are sick and tired of it. It is even worse than Arch linux zealots mentioning Arch linux all the time. At least they stay on tech forums. Imagine them going to sports pages and whatever else and writing: Hey, I use Arch linux! Keeping the fingers away from the keyboard is not always a bad thing.

Sand & Mercury
October 9th, 2009, 07:06 AM
It must be a gay thing; after all, you don`t see any straight people spamming the web saying they are straight. The shock value of this is long time gone, and I think most people are sick and tired of it.
I dunno, you sound kinda bitter. Homosexuals are a minority, what's wrong with asking to see if there's anyone like-minded around? Really, if you don't care, why are you even responding to this thread?

HappinessNow
October 9th, 2009, 07:08 AM
i dunno, you sound kinda bitter. Homosexuals are a minority, what's wrong with asking to see if there's anyone like-minded around? Really, if you don't care, why are you even responding to this thread?+1

Hallvor
October 9th, 2009, 07:15 AM
I dunno, you sound kinda bitter. Homosexuals are a minority, what's wrong with asking to see if there's anyone like-minded around? Really, if you don't care, why are you even responding to this thread?

I`m not bitter - just tired of it getting mentioned all the time. I don`t care if people are gay, I m just tired of hearing it everywhere. While I don t care about the former, the latter I do care about. You can`t even escape from the "Hey guys, I am gay" on a tech forum. Jesus Christ.

hobo14
October 9th, 2009, 07:24 AM
On topic: I'm straight.

Giant Speck
October 9th, 2009, 07:32 AM
I find the title a bit odd, as it seems to (probably unintentionally) reinforce the stereotype that geeks aren't or cannot be homosexual.

And, to stay on topic, I am heterosexual.

renkinjutsu
October 9th, 2009, 07:34 AM
I couldn`t care less if you are gay or not, but this is what I have a problem grasping: Why the need to advertise your own preferences? Are you hoping to meet someone or what? If so, try a dating forum. If not, I still don`t understand why you do this. It must be a gay thing; after all, you don`t see any straight people spamming the web saying they are straight. The shock value of this is long time gone, and I think most people are sick and tired of it. It is even worse than Arch linux zealots mentioning Arch linux all the time. At least they stay on tech forums. Imagine them going to sports pages and whatever else and writing: Hey, I use Arch linux! Keeping the fingers away from the keyboard is not always a bad thing.

Could be because there is a lot LESS gay people.. seriously? what's your problem? The OP brought up a pretty interesting point and you think that's a bad thing?

hobo14
October 9th, 2009, 08:11 AM
4 posts removed. Please watch the line. Reproduction/pleasure is not the subject of this thread. It would be a shame that _once again_a discussion not related to being a dominant ubuntu male user gets closed.

Not all OT posts in this thread have been removed, so it's hard to believe that going off subject was the sole reason for their removal.

Also, a direct reply to a deleted post, that contains a full quote of said deleted post, is still present: #118 (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8075711&postcount=118)

KiwiNZ
October 9th, 2009, 08:21 AM
This thread is generating too many reports. Closing is the best option