PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Block websites @ homehub level.

squishjt
October 8th, 2009, 07:59 PM
Can anyone tell me if it's possible to block specific websites at the BT Home hub level. Reason I ask is I leave my Wireless connection open (for neighbours benefit) but I wouldn't like to think they could abuse my kindess by looking at anything untoward which may land me in trouble as it's my connection.

Thanks in advance

steeleyuk
October 8th, 2009, 08:37 PM
It should be doable via the router config but its impossible to block every site which could be a problem. Blocking via the router is meant only for a single or few websites.

The only real way is to use software blacklisting on a machine which is automatically updated (much the way anti-virus software does).

Nevertheless, blocking access to everyone other than people you really trust is the only way to be sure...

x C0MMAND0 x
October 8th, 2009, 08:40 PM
I would recommend setting up Open DNS http://www.opendns.com/ on the router level. This is a great way to ensure that ANY device connected to your router will be using the DNS servers specified. This way you are able to have different "levels" of filtration. You can sign up for an account for free just so that you can modify exactly what you want to block.

This is an excellent free service in my opinion and I strongly recommend it.