PDA

View Full Version : The top programs that need native Linux versions...

Grimhound
October 8th, 2009, 07:59 PM
#1: Steam

How: I am no coder, nor am I educated enough to know if this would work, but: If it had to come down to there being an inability to rewrite games to support OpenGL, then the best alternative would be for Valve to team up with WINE to in essence create a Linux-native version of Steam that has WINE integrated into itself. Therefore you would have a game running through WINE running through Steam rather than a game running through Steam running through WINE.

Post yours picks for programs that need native Linux versions.

Bachstelze
October 8th, 2009, 08:00 PM
The program doesn't need a native Linux version. You need a native Linux version of it.

xArv3nx
October 8th, 2009, 08:07 PM
The program doesn't need a native Linux version. You need a native Linux version of it.
i think linux users should take anything they can get. linux is bare enough as it is.

i'd love to see games ported, but mostly what i want is more commercial polish. the good thing is that ubuntu is getting there now (not there yet but it's getting there). other distros don't even come close except Xandros, and the now long gone Linspire 5.0 (which is still really nice for this day in terms of polish).

Tibuda
October 8th, 2009, 08:08 PM
The program doesn't need a native Linux version. You need want a native Linux version of it.

:lolflag:

xArv3nx
October 8th, 2009, 08:12 PM
:lolflag:
er, wait. wasn't that what this whole thread was about (posting your top apps you want ported to linux)?

Grimhound
October 8th, 2009, 08:17 PM

I just remembered hearing aaages ago about Valve hiring a project manager in regards to porting games to Linux, but nothing ever became of it.

Tibuda
October 8th, 2009, 08:17 PM
er, wait. wasn't that what this whole thread was about (posting your top apps you want ported to linux)?

Yes. And this is the app I would like to see ported: GuitarPro. There are TuxGuitar and GnomeTab, but they are not the same.

blur xc
October 8th, 2009, 08:20 PM
iTunes - yup, that's right, I said it... Not for iPods, per se, though it would be nice to be able to put videos in my ipod w/o booting up windows, but for iPhones. They suck in regards to how well they don't play well with others.

I've been wanting Lightroom pretty badly, but now I'm leaning towards switching it all over to Bibble, which has a native linux version. Go Bibble! Plus- noise ninja is awesome...

BM

Dimitriid
October 8th, 2009, 08:27 PM
#1: Steam

How: I am no coder, nor am I educated enough to know if this would work, but: If it had to come down to there being an inability to rewrite games to support OpenGL, then the best alternative would be for Valve to team up with WINE to in essence create a Linux-native version of Steam that has WINE integrated into itself. Therefore you would have a game running through WINE running through Steam rather than a game running through Steam running through WINE.

Post yours picks for programs that need native Linux versions.

Porting steam wouldn't accomplish much unless valve request a linux port for every single title available in steam. Even though is not much work ( a single dev can usually take care of the port in 1 month ) the companies will never go for it and then valve would risk loosing a lot of the momentum they have with steam as a digital distributor.

Ric_NYC
October 8th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Itunes, Sketchup, Photoshop, AutoCAD...

Xbehave
October 8th, 2009, 08:32 PM
I just remembered hearing aaages ago about Valve hiring a project manager in regards to porting games to Linux, but nothing ever became of it.
That story gets spread every so often because they always have linux dedicated servers (who wouldn't)

Porting steam wouldn't accomplish much unless valve request a linux port for every single title available in steam. Even though is not much work ( a single dev can usually take care of the port in 1 month ) the companies will never go for it and then valve would risk loosing a lot of the momentum they have with steam as a digital distributor.
The steam client runs in the background all the time (or a lot of the time) and its a pain to run that in wine, however most steam games already run using wine (some even have native versions).

Grimhound
October 8th, 2009, 08:47 PM
The steam client runs in the background all the time (or a lot of the time) and its a pain to run that in wine, however most steam games already run using wine (some even have native versions).

Pretty much what I'm saying. I just want a Steam frontend for WINE that uses Firefox instead of whatever retrograde IE clone is included with WINE. I ended up missing out on last week's Oddworld deal because Steam was bugging out in WINE and I couldn't get through the purchase.

xArv3nx
October 8th, 2009, 08:47 PM
the thing is, valve has a very small amount of employees (last i heard, a handful of 5-10 people worked on team fortress 2, for example). so anything they do regarding linux will probably take a while to make.

probably like 1 employee will be working on it (if there is someone working on it), and then they'll have to port a bunch of stuff over, work out licensing agreements, etc., so they'll actually have something to sell.

SuperSonic4
October 8th, 2009, 08:50 PM
iTunes - yup, that's right, I said it... Not for iPods, per se, though it would be nice to be able to put videos in my ipod w/o booting up windows, but for iPhones. They suck in regards to how well they don't play well with others.

I've been wanting Lightroom pretty badly, but now I'm leaning towards switching it all over to Bibble, which has a native linux version. Go Bibble! Plus- noise ninja is awesome...

BM

It's the Linux users who buy Apple products who need to wise up. Apple are known for blocking any access to anything they don't want.

If I had a program to change to native Linux I would pick Office 07 - especially Excel.

xArv3nx
October 8th, 2009, 08:51 PM
It's the Linux users who buy Apple products who need to wise up. Apple are known for blocking any access to anything they don't want.

If I had a program to change to native Linux I would pick Office 07 - especially Excel.
Excellent choice! this could be useful for a lot of people, even though i don't use any office products.

Jesus_Valdez
October 8th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Diablo 2 and the upcoming Diablo 3

joey-elijah
October 8th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Google Picasa 3.5 NATIVE would be nice. Picasa just pwns...

Yahoo widgets for Linux would be sweet...

iTunes for Linux would ruin the innovation in apps like banshee etc imo by becoming the de facto music player.

amsum
October 8th, 2009, 09:08 PM
here is my list:
1) MS Outlook (i know I am asking moon)
2) Photoshop and Maya
3) MS Office (their Excel excels over OpenOffice)
4) Yahoo messenger (pidgin lacks video chat)

Jesus_Valdez
October 8th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Google Picasa 3.5 NATIVE would be nice. Picasa just pwns...

Yahoo widgets for Linux would be sweet...

iTunes for Linux would ruin the innovation in apps like banshee etc imo by becoming the de facto music player.
I think that iTunes is a horrible, horrible music player.

But the popularity of the iPhone make it a must for many people.

Tibuda
October 8th, 2009, 09:24 PM
here is my list:
2) Photoshop and Maya

Maya as in Autodesk Maya? It is already ported.

blur xc
October 8th, 2009, 09:30 PM

iTunes would never be a default music player, just like it's not default on Windows (still WMP)...

And it would ruin the innovation of apps like banshee any more than it does to WMP (wait- does that even make sense?)

BM

bshosey
October 8th, 2009, 09:31 PM
I have gotten to the point if it is not OpenSource and not for linux I don't want it on my system. That said I would like to see more DJ applications

blur xc
October 8th, 2009, 09:32 PM
I think that iTunes is a horrible, horrible music player.

But the popularity of the iPhone make it a must for many people.

yup- If I knew what I know now back when I bought the ipod- or even got the iphone, I probably wouldn't have. Now we have it, it's a good phone, my wife likes it (kind of the most important part) but when it's time to replace it, I'm sure there will be many good Android options to choose from.

BM

amsum
October 8th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Maya as in Autodesk Maya? It is already ported.

Thanks I didn't know that...but I believe they don't have debian version but after googling it looks like people have used it on ubuntu.

Sevgiolam
October 8th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Ableton/Pro tools, linux has no solid versatile DAW's.

SuperSonic4
October 9th, 2009, 08:16 PM
here is my list:
2) Photoshop and Maya

Isn't Outlook part of Office?

Have to agree on outlook too though.

TheGurkha
October 9th, 2009, 08:29 PM
I ditched iTunes on Windows and used MediaMonkey, which I thought was fanatastic - faster, more flexible, did more, etc. etc. It also synched with iPods etc.

ade234uk
October 10th, 2009, 08:58 AM
Photoshop 7 and Dreamweaver 9 work brilliantly these days in Wine. I don't even realise I am using them on a different OS.

Of course there is always room for improvement, but I just cant see Adobe porting these all the time Wine is around. Wine also seems to be getting better at supporting more apps.

Clopin
October 10th, 2009, 10:00 AM
I'd love to have Photoshop.

dyingsun
October 10th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Most of the Adobe stuff, but mostly Dreamweaver.
Visual Studio
Office 2007, perhaps, at least Excel and Visio.

That would all be helpful.

t0p
October 10th, 2009, 11:45 AM
yup- If I knew what I know now back when I bought the ipod- or even got the iphone, I probably wouldn't have. Now we have it, it's a good phone, my wife likes it (kind of the most important part) but when it's time to replace it, I'm sure there will be many good Android options to choose from.

You bought an iphone thinking it would play nice with linux?

Wow. I thought that everyone knew about Apple's hardware lock-in mentality.

Swagman
October 10th, 2009, 11:50 AM
ArtRage (http://www.artrage.com)

Bölvağur
October 10th, 2009, 12:27 PM
top is already native!!!:mad::mad:?!?!?:mad::mad:

Bungo Pony
October 10th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Nero.

Yes, I know there's a version of Nero for Linux, but it has a small fraction of the features that the Windows version has. If they included NeroVision in the Linux version so I can capture and edit video, I would definately pay for it.

George W. Tush
October 10th, 2009, 01:42 PM
QuickBooks. That's all I want.

If there is a readily available Linux program that compares, what is the name, please?

blur xc
October 10th, 2009, 05:03 PM
You bought an iphone thinking it would play nice with linux?

Wow. I thought that everyone knew about Apple's hardware lock-in mentality.

Uh- I kinda got the iPhone just at just about the same time I started running Linux...and no, I did not know all about the things that would work, and wouldn't work. It's not like there's a big banner across the top of the Ubuntu home page saying, "WON'T WORK WITH ITUNES!!!"

Just like my Canon printer that won't play nice either...

BM

Swagman
October 10th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Uh- I kinda got the iPhone just at just about the same time I started running Linux...and no, I did not know all about the things that would work, and wouldn't work. It's not like there's a big banner across the top of the Ubuntu home page saying, "WON'T WORK WITH ITUNES!!!"

Just like my Canon printer that won't play nice either...

BM

Thats a surprise. Canon usually play nice with ubuntu

koshatnik
October 10th, 2009, 08:07 PM

Are you crazy? iTunes is the worst mediaplayer ever made.

BM

Bibble is nice, as is lightzone which also has native linux version, which I think is superior for relighting images. For noise reduction, NeatImage is the best, hands down. Noise Ninja doesn't come anywhere near it. You can get NeatImage as a plugin for photoshop. Its all I use PS for. :)

majabl
October 10th, 2009, 08:58 PM
I'm surprised that we're 38 posts in and nobody has mentioned Spotify.

V for Vincent
October 10th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Yes. And this is the app I would like to see ported: GuitarPro. There are TuxGuitar and GnomeTab, but they are not the same.

When was the last time you tried TuxGuitar? I think it's pretty awesome, but the early versions were kind of crummy.

blur xc
October 11th, 2009, 05:26 AM
Thats a surprise. Canon usually play nice with ubuntu

Unless I'm missing something, not w/o Turboprint for $40, and no dice for the wifi scanning (wireless printer).

And, again, unless I'm missing something, you can't set up the printer on a wireless network unless you have a windows computer to install its software on. Once it's on the wireless network, ubuntu will find it and print to it ok.

BM

blur xc
October 11th, 2009, 05:30 AM
Are you crazy? iTunes is the worst mediaplayer ever made.

+1 for reading comprehension- not so much for the ipod BUT FOR THE IPHONE. It needs itunes for os updates, and to back everything on it up. That's actually a pretty nice feature- say you have contacts, apps, notes, whatever all on your iphone. Then say you fry your phone, lose it, whatever. Get a new phone, sync it to your itunes, and it's as if you never lost anything- except a few hundred bucks for the new phone.

And yes, I agree- it's a sharty music player, I usually get pissed off and a headache every time I need to mess around in it.

BM

koshatnik
October 11th, 2009, 08:33 PM
+1 for reading comprehension- not so much for the ipod BUT FOR THE IPHONE.

Then use a different phone. :)

blur xc
October 12th, 2009, 05:36 AM
Then use a different phone. :)

That's a great idea, I wish I had thought of that one!

There are a lot of iPhone users out there. You can't say to everyone wanting to try Linux, "Hey, Linux is great- but you will need a new phone, keep windows to dual boot or run VBox. I know AT&T doesn't really carry anything better than than iPhone in it's class, like those new HTC phones, so you'll have to switch carriers too. Oh, but at least Linux doesn't cost you anything!"

Then they can reply, "Wait, what? I need to keep Windows around to run iTunes? Shoot, in that case, I'll just stick with Windows. Keeps life less complicated."

Maybe spreadbuntu.org should make a poster with that on it...

BM

dyingsun
October 12th, 2009, 12:09 PM
"Wait, what? I need to keep Windows around to run iTunes? Shoot, in that case, I'll just stick with Windows. Keeps life less complicated."

BM

So there's no way an iPhone can be reasonably run without iTunes? And no way of running iTunes on Linux?

I do have a macbook, but this lock-out mentality makes me not want to use it on principle.

Friends got an iPhone, beautiful little gadget, I must say, but if it's not gonna work on Linux, then it's not much use to me. Pity, I really wanted one :(

I hate iTunes. Pain in the proverbial. Songbird annoys me too, but at least it works. But iTunes should have a native Linux version.

Games. All games should be ported.

Chilli Bob
October 12th, 2009, 03:19 PM
MYOB
Quickbooks
Vegas Pro, Vegas Movie Studio etc

That's about it really.

SomeGuyDude
October 12th, 2009, 03:21 PM

That was a completely worthless contribution. Thank you.

Aaaaaanyway, the list would go something like:

1) Steam
2) Picasa
3) Any kind of good CAD software
4) Adobe Premiere (Cinelerra? Kino? Feh)

anonymous_user
October 12th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Id like a Linux port of ImgBurn, InfraRecorder, or CDBurnerXP.

K3b development is slow and other linux burning programs are lacking features (mainly verifying of discs).

blur xc
October 12th, 2009, 04:54 PM
So there's no way an iPhone can be reasonably run without iTunes? And no way of running iTunes on Linux?

You can use an iphone w/o iTunes all you want. You can also download and install apps directly from the phone w/o using iTunes. Browsing for apps is better on iTunes than on the phone though. But you need iTunes if you ever want to upgrade your iPhone's OS or back up everything on your phone.

I have iTunes running in VBox and it seems to be working good so far. It even manages to see all of my songs that are on an Ext3 partition through folder sharing. So, I'm good w/ that. I only wish I had a copy of XP to run in VBox, right now I'm running Vista and it's a bit taxing on resources.

The only other option is to hope for it to run reliably under Wine sometime in the future.

BM

blur xc
October 13th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Case in point- http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/173557/tmobiles_100_apology_angers_sidekick_victims.html

BM

wardgegr
October 17th, 2009, 01:07 AM

BM

AMEN to ITunes! The only reason I still have a Windows partition on my computer is to be able to update my iPhone software, playlists, etc... Otherwise, Ubuntu all the way!

dragos240
October 17th, 2009, 01:10 AM
How about vegas. I used that lots.