PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade from 9.04 to 9.10?

Gordonbp531
October 8th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Will there be an automatic upgrade, or will I have to download 9.10 Remix and create the install media myself?

tom.swartz07
October 8th, 2009, 07:48 PM
When its released, it will update automatically.

After it is released, check your computer upgrades and it will download like any other update.

QIII
October 8th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Depends on what you mean by "automatically".

If this works like it has in past releases, the Update Manager will inform you that a new version is available and you will be given the option to upgrade to it. You do not have to.

If you want to upgrade from the terminal, you can use dist-upgrade.

There are any number of opinions on whether the best course of action is to dist-upgrade or install fresh...

slakkie
October 9th, 2009, 09:44 AM
cli upgrades can be done via another tools:

sudo aptitude install update-manager-core
sudo do-release-upgrade

There is no need for a distupgrade command (although it can be used off course, but is not advised by Ubuntu developers).

fran_lelli
October 9th, 2009, 12:32 PM
hi all! it's my 1st post so excuse me if i'm begging you. but i'm a newbie and i need some reassurance....

i have ubuntu netbook remix 9.04, if i make an alt+f2 and then type upgrade -d, i'm going to have "only" ubuntu 9.10 karmic or the netbook remix edition for karmic ?

In that case, how can i switch to the new netbook launcher of the karmic netbook remix edition?

Tnx All

slakkie
October 9th, 2009, 06:05 PM
fran_nelli, as you are new, do NOT upgrade now to Karmic. It is still in a development phase. It is not advisable for new users to switch to development releases.