PDA

View Full Version : C++ ncurses: how to create a square block on screen

whoop
October 8th, 2009, 06:27 PM
I am wondering how I can create a square block in the terminal using ncurses.

I found the ACS_BLOCK constant but that just gives me a "#", and even if it would be a real square it would probably be a rectangle (height being longer than width). Am I missing something? Do I need to change fonts or something?

I want to be able to create squares (preferably of different colour) on screen.
Maybe I should be using another library ?

wmcbrine
October 9th, 2009, 04:49 AM
Yeah, ACS_BLOCK is poorly implemented for most terminals. :( There are at least two alternatives:

1. Space + A_REVERSE, or just flip the foreground and background colors.
2. If you have a Unicode-capable terminal (like Ubuntu's Gnome Terminal), try character 0x2588.

whoop
October 9th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Yeah, ACS_BLOCK is poorly implemented for most terminals. :( There are at least two alternatives:

1. Space + A_REVERSE, or just flip the foreground and background colors.
2. If you have a Unicode-capable terminal (like Ubuntu's Gnome Terminal), try character 0x2588.

Thanks for your response I tried to test your suggestions, but it didn't work as suspected (maybe I did something wrong):

#include <ncurses.h>

int main()
{

char cBlock = (char)0x2588;
initscr();

printw("A_REVERSE: "); addch(A_REVERSE); printw("\n");
printw("0x2588:"); addch(cBlock); printw("\n");

refresh();
getch();
endwin();

return 0;
}

The A_REVERSE gives me a block with "^@" inside it, 0x2588 gives me a rectangle (height is longer than width) again. You can see the attachment, a screenshot of the results.
Maybe I did something wrong, or forgot something, maybe there's another method?

wmcbrine
October 9th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Like I said, Space + A_REVERSE, not just A_REVERSE. You're printing character 0 there. Also, printw() won't do for this.

addch(' '|A_REVERSE);

As for 0x2588, I don't understand your objection. Of course the height is greater than the width. The character cells are taller than they are wide. I thought you wanted to fill a cell... that's what ACS_BLOCK is supposed to do. If you really want it square, you can try printing two of them in a row. But there's no real way to guarantee a square shape, because the cell shape varies depending on the font. Or, if you want it to be square while fitting within a cell, there are other characters you can use, but they'll leave space around the character. (This can happen with 0x2588, too, depending on the font.)