PDA

View Full Version : Legality of Web Server?

armageddon08
October 8th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Hi all, I'm using BSNL Broadband 750 UL+ Plan. Is it legal to set up Web Server in my home? Does the ISP allow it?

howefield
October 8th, 2009, 05:24 PM
You'll have signed up to terms and conditions. Read them.

Search the support section of their web page ?

Or simply ask them. They are presumably contactable ?

OpenGuard
October 8th, 2009, 06:27 PM
It's all about the traffic ( not restrictions regarding services/daemon ) - call them and ask, how much you can send/receive ( otherwise, your server might go offline from time to time ).

kavon89
October 8th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Generally, if your ISP doesn't allow you to host a web server, they would block incoming connections to port 80.

Corfy
October 9th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Is it legal to set up Web Server in my home?

Well, I don't think you will be arrested for it, so from that standpoint, yes, it is perfectly legal.

As to whether it is allowed by your ISP, that is between you and them, but the worst they could do to you is shut off your internet, not arrest you.

The two companies that could provide broadband service to my house (one cable, one DSL) do not allow me to host a webserver, at least without upgrading to the business package at 3x the cost.

If I lived about two miles north, I could get another ISP in our area that would allow me to host my own server (and I know a couple of people who have done just that). But that company doesn't provide service "in town", so I'm out of luck.