Specs:
Monitor: HP L1706
MOBO: XFX 750i dual SLI
Video: 2 Palit 9800 GT Sonic 512MB
RAM: Team Elite 2 x 2GB
HDD: WDC 250 GB
CPU: Q8200 @ stock

Hi,

I just installed ubuntu 9.04 32bit, I'm really having a hard time installing the driver for my 2 9800 GT .. These are the steps that I did.

My kernels: 2.6.28-11, 2.6.28-13, 2.6.28-15

1) downloaded and and installed both NVIDIA-Linux-x86-185.18.36-pkg1.run and NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.14.12-pkg1.run.. (I stopped gdm before installing the driver). This steps failed so I had to uninstall.
2) Insalled from System>Administration>Hardware Drivers then activate. (Failed, then uninstalled from terminal then run the command apt-get autoremove)
3) Installed from Synaptic Package manager and selected nvidia-glx-173 (Failed, then uninstalled from terminal then run the command apt-get autoremove)

I really don't know what the problem is, I never had this problem before when I still had ubuntu 8.10 on my machine. And I'm getting frustrated everytime I get the same failing result, which is not being able to procceed to the desktop, just the terminal mode.

I hope there is anyone out there that can help me cuz I really like ubuntu rather than using Debian or OpenSuse..

Thanks.

Oh I think this is also a useful information, My xorg.conf:

# xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
# values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
# (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
# package.
#
# Note that some configuration settings that could be done previously
# in this file, now are automatically configured by the server and settings
# here are ignored.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following command:
# sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

overdrank
October 9th, 2009, 02:43 AM
Hi and I have no experience with multiple graphics cards but this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=884161)may help

borahshadow
October 9th, 2009, 04:42 AM
You might consider 64-bit. You won't get to use all 4GB of ram if you don't. I don't know if this would help but maybe Karmic which comes out on the 29th would let the drivers in the repository install.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

xmaicox
October 10th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the help.. I already solved it :), I was'nt attentive enough to fix the problem, when I tried to add the my device configuration on xorg.conf, I mistakenly placed an dot rather than a colon ( ex. PCI:03:00.0 instead of a PCI:03:00:0 ) on both card configuration setting section on xorg.conf. Anyway, thanks for all the help..