PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need a guide to application installation

Kaizzer
October 8th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Hi there .. im kind of new to this linux/Ubuntu world but im going in a week or so since i don't use Windows any more.. (happy weekday?!?). Anyway .. in this week i tryed to install several applications in my notbook (HP-530) and i had relative success ie .. installed Lotus Notes on Ubuntu.. conky (1.5.1) installed via Synaptic... and now trying to upgrade it with no success..... etc....

what i realized is that .. there is more than one way to do everything .. you can use de Synaptic Package Manager.. you can use command lines.. ive read that you can compile binary files agains the kernel ..(whaterver that means) ..and who know what else..

this is the request : when do you use each of the installation processes .?? and more important.. why you use it ?? .. what is happening on my notebook when i do each one of the process ..?

i really dont like to do thinks mecanical ... i do like to understand what im doing it when i do it.. so .. if there is someone that could tell me where to look up o explainme in a simple way each process .. i would be most gratefull

thanks in advace.....

PS: wasnt sure if this topic belongs in this section of Instalation & Upgrade or to General Discution ... so please.. admins .. movit where it belongs..

MelDJ
October 8th, 2009, 05:08 PM
look at this: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installingsoftware

Kaizzer
October 8th, 2009, 05:13 PM
wow .. that was fast !! ..thanks :)

presence1960
October 8th, 2009, 06:22 PM
as far as Add/Remove Applications, Synaptic Package Manager & command line installs are concerned the same thing is happening on all 3. It is just the front end that appears differently.

Next time you install something from Syanptic click the little details symbol and you will see the terminal during installation, which is exactly what you would see if you ran the command
sudo apt-get install <myprogram>.