PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Acer One- back to XP

kga5
October 8th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Hey!
I have installed ubuntu on my netbook but now that I wan't to go back to XP im not sure what to do :D

I have succesfully made a bootable USB drive and in to the XP install. But for some reason XP does not see the partition I have ubuntu on, so i cant format it and install XP. Any Suggestions? Is it possible to format the HDD from Ubuntu and make it ntfs?

mikewhatever
October 8th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Windows XP can't see linux file systems by default, but you can format Ubuntu partitions from the bootable USB with Ubuntu. Your post is rather vague, but it seems you may be trying to install Windows XP from a USB stick, which isn't supported by MS. If you want more help, please elaborate on what exactly you are trying to do.

kga5
October 8th, 2009, 06:08 PM
I'm trying to get windows XP back on my netbook,I currently have Ubuntu 9.04. (Acer aspire One 531h...)

Im sorry about the lack of info.
I have used a program called novicorp WinToFlash to somehow convert the .ISO file I have of windows XP to the USB flash drive, and make it bootable. I was surprised that it actually worked...Untill I had to choose where to install XP(the xp install program only recognized the usb drive itself). What do you mean than ms does not support booting from an usb drive? Am I gonna have any problems later on?

And no... I have not kept the recovery partition Acer provided...sigh..

mikewhatever
October 8th, 2009, 06:30 PM
As said, you can format the hdd from the bootable USB with Ubuntu. The program to do that is under System->Admin->Partition Manager. MS claims it's impossible to install XP from a usb device, however, there are reports stating otherwise.
http://www.ngine.de/index.jsp?pageid=4176

You might get better help at a Windows related forum. Anyway, good luck.

kga5
October 8th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Thanks for your help! Did not realise you could just boot ubuntu from my usb and format :D

And I hope MS i wrong :)

edit: Well now my hdd is NTFS but the XP installation only allows me to install on the memorystick witch still is the only space it recognizes.
I'll register on a windows forum and see if i get help with this issue :(