PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu os changed to edubuntu,kubuntu?

a2z
October 8th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Hello everyone,

I've been experiencing a lot of problems since a clean install of Ubuntu Intrepid. I have had this ISO disk since January. And have not had any problems with it until now.

A few days ago I did a clean install with Ubuntu 8.10. I then used update manager to get all updated. This is where I used the update to 9.10 Jaunty.
I then proceeded to install additional software. Then my problems began.

I relentlessly tried to get compiz working. At one point, I had every possible file listed in Synaptics installed to no avail.

I now try installing Cinelerra. Where the package manager says it is installed. But it is no where to be found.
A thread advised rebooting. When I did this, all of the sudden I'm booting into kubuntu! System>About now says "About Ubuntu and About Edubuntu".

Also in the past I was able to run blender out of the box located on my desktop via a terminal. However, this no longer works either.

I have not been so frustrated in the 10 months I've used Ubuntu.

At first I thought I may be having a hard drive problem. But that wouldn't explain an os change would it?

Anybody with input on this is greatly appreciated!!
This is crazy.

a2z

ASUS P5N-D
intel Core 2 Q6700 x86 64
Corsair 2x 2G DDR2
NVIDIA 8500GT
Maxtor 40G

mexicanmusicman
October 31st, 2009, 05:43 AM
First of all start small. Just try to reburn the iso. Perhaps use another CD brand, and/or use another burner

Second of all, compiz is crap. what are you using it for?

I will advise you more upon your answer

macogw
October 31st, 2009, 06:00 AM
Er, which did you upgrade to? You said "9.10 Jaunty" but 9.10 = Karmic and Jaunty = 9.04

You said you installed everything from Synaptic. Would that happen to include things like kubuntu-desktop and kdm? Cuz that'd do what you're saying about showing Kubuntu's name...

a2z
November 2nd, 2009, 06:51 PM
Er, which did you upgrade to? You said "9.10 Jaunty" but 9.10 = Karmic and Jaunty = 9.04

You said you installed everything from Synaptic. Would that happen to include things like kubuntu-desktop and kdm? Cuz that'd do what you're saying about showing Kubuntu's name...

Your right, I did not mean 9.10 jaunty. I meant karmic.
Karmic continually deteriorated on me. So now I wiped it and did a clean install back to Jaunty. I love Jaunty. I have all programs up and running like a dream.

I wondered if I crossed some file. I probably did. You can bet I'll be more careful of my d/l choices.
Sorry for not being very clear. I was a bit stress. But all is well now.
Thanks alot for your input.

a2z

a2z
November 2nd, 2009, 06:58 PM
First of all start small. Just try to reburn the iso. Perhaps use another CD brand, and/or use another burner

Second of all, compiz is crap. what are you using it for?

I will advise you more upon your answer

Hi musicman,
My disk is fine. I just used it again. Looks like I mucked up Karmic pretty good. But I'm quite happy having Jaunty back.
I was hooked on compiz mostly for the zoom feature. But I now have another means. Maybe it is still compiz. I didn't look. I think it's a light end of compiz. I use the zoom a lot to see my desktop from about 6' away.
Thanks for your reply

a2z