PDA

View Full Version : ISP reccomendations

badperson
October 8th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Hi,

I want to upgrade my ISP, and I was wondering if anyone had reccomendations...I'd like static ip's if it's not too much, and I'd like a very fast connection....Is there a good service (I'm in the NY area) or type of service that anyone reccomends?
thanks,
bp

Bachstelze
October 8th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Moved to the Cafe.

hobo14
October 8th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Might be a good idea to mention which country you are in, for questions like these.

badperson
October 8th, 2009, 03:02 PM
sorry for the wrong forum and vagueness....
i'm in the USA, NY area...

right now I have cable internet from my cable co.; but I may ditch it. I run a small home network off my wireless router, but it has dynamic ip's...so for example the other day when there was an outage, I recycled the router and cable modem, all my ip addresses were reset, so that was a big pain...

thanks,
bp

misfitpierce
October 8th, 2009, 04:30 PM
The absolute fastest connection you could get, in terms of residential connections, would be through Verizon's FiOS service, which is available in certain parts of the city, mainly in the Bronx but also in a handful of buildings in Manhattan. The fastest service offered by Verizon in the city right now is 20Mbps/5Mbps.

... That maybe? Found on forums somewhere else. I don't live in NY so not sure. I am in Florida.

markbuntu
October 9th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Definitely FIOS, I have recently got it and speedtest tells me my download speed is 30MBs and upload 18MBs, this is with 15/5 service. I am near Boston so NY might be a little different. My neighbors just switched from comcast to fios and tell me it is faster and cheaper and just better all around for them.

I think they have static IP available so you should ask about that.

gletob
October 9th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Fios +1

I personally can't get it and am stuck with Verizon DSL. But I have Friends & Family that have Fios and as their computer guru, they have the best Internet connection I've ever used.

LowSky
October 9th, 2009, 09:33 PM
sorry for the wrong forum and vagueness....
i'm in the USA, NY area...

right now I have cable internet from my cable co.; but I may ditch it. I run a small home network off my wireless router, but it has dynamic ip's...so for example the other day when there was an outage, I recycled the router and cable modem, all my ip addresses were reset, so that was a big pain...

thanks,
bp

FYI you can set static IPs from the router, even for wireless devices. Its actually a great idea because you can make a network more secure.

NY area, means nothing, New York is a big state. Are we Talking New York City, Long Island, Hudson Valley, Catskills, Finger lakes, Capital region, Rochester/Buffalo?

If you running a business, the Cable companies offer faster conneciton speeds, including direct lines. So does the Phone companies