PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Anti-Spyware Removes Norton Anti-Virus

briancurtin
February 12th, 2006, 01:03 AM
http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/02/11/2259232&from=rss

nice work. id be pissed if i used windows and paid for NAV and this whole deal happened to me. when i did use windows, i paid for NAV a year and something like this would **** me off to no end.

mstlyevil
February 12th, 2006, 01:04 AM
http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/02/11/2259232&from=rss

nice work. id be pissed if i used windows and paid for NAV and this whole deal happened to me. when i did use windows, i paid for NAV a year and something like this would **** me off to no end.

I thought NAV was spyware/malware. :mrgreen:

Jason_25
February 12th, 2006, 01:10 AM
I thought NAV was spyware/malware. :mrgreen:

Me too. Anything that can slow a computer down that much must be. I've had a faster windows running 3d games in the background!

xequence
February 12th, 2006, 01:17 AM
I agree with the couple posts before me.

Norton IS a virus. You should not use it. It makes your computer more unuseable then any virus I have seen yet.

If you really think you need an anti virus, AVG is nice and fast, but NORTON IS SO EXTREMLY HORRIBLE.

PapaWiskas
February 12th, 2006, 03:51 AM
ROFLMAO....hey wait, does this mean I should give up trying to get norton to run with WINE?:-k

endersshadow
February 12th, 2006, 04:19 AM
Just because you can't configure Norton doesn't mean it's a virus...you give it permission to scan every little thing, and you can take it away. Norton is by far the best AV for Windows, and AVG is great, but it's not free anymore.

Now McAfee...that AV is horrendous.

But Norton is a solid program, and if you configure it right, you're off and running better than ever. Don't blame the program for user error :wink:

Jason_25
February 12th, 2006, 04:22 AM
The only user error I made was installing it in the first place.

endersshadow
February 12th, 2006, 05:44 AM
The only user error I made was installing it in the first place.

Again, you probably had it set up to scan every file. That's useless. Set it up to run a scan on all downloaded files and then a full system scan every night. Runs smooth, safe, and secure. Like I said, don't blame the program for your inability to configure it correctly.

Oni-Dracula
February 12th, 2006, 07:29 AM
I work for Earthlink in the retentions department and we sell NAV and NIS to customers on a monthly basis (whole package like 3.95 per month on top of whatever you already pay us). Whenever I see a customer with that crap on their account I VOLUNTEER to cancel norton from it.... even Earthlinks "Protection Control Center" is better... and it's not even that good.

TechSonic
February 12th, 2006, 07:50 AM
AVG is great, but it's not free anymore.

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

Really?

en zero zero be

Also, AVG for Linux

"With its growing popularity, it is only a matter of time before the Linux operating system becomes more widely targeted by virus and malware writers," said Lipa. "Grisoft is at the forefront to support Linux OS and provide all Linux users with every possible precaution to reduce the risk of viruses."

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/4040/lng/us/tpl/v5

I also say we help them build a Debian/Ubuntu version.

Deaf_Head
February 12th, 2006, 08:01 AM
Don't blame the program for user error :wink:

I agree, if you install NAV you should be made to suffer for your horrible mistake.

Some programs have great new features, others have bloat .. norton has bloat.

endersshadow
February 12th, 2006, 08:14 AM
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

Really?

en zero zero be

They must've gotten a bunch of complaints, then. About a month ago, they went to a "trial version" system where it was free for 30 days. I haven't looked at AVG since November.

Putz.

Edit: Forgot to add this in. Norton's "bloat" mostly isn't bloat. It's the fact that the most restrictive settings are on by default because the average computer user doesn't know how to configure it to run smooth and still be safe. Norton's just enabled everything by default, but you don't need to enable everything by default. In five minutes, you can remove all of the "bloat" from Norton, and be running at the same speed that you always ran at. If you're too inept to do that, well, that's your fault. I've run Norton on plenty of computers without any problems. Just rtfm for once.

But for those that aren't totally inept, Peer Guardian 2 (http://phoenixlabs.org/pg2/) works wonders. You almost don't even need an AV, antispyware, or firewall when you're running it. Unfortunately, it's only for Win 95+ or Mac OS X and not for any POSIX system. It'd be a great tool to have even for POSIX systems.

Leo_01
February 12th, 2006, 10:50 AM
I am pretty surprised that a spyware software tool can remove a anti-virus software...
could this be done on purposely?
;) FYI MS got their own version of anti-virus too..

Derek Djons
February 12th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Symantec Anti-Virus prodcuts are certainly not virusses and malware applications. These programs have been checked by many well-known and skilled reviewers and other security companies. So it's pollux saying it has something to do with.

But I do agree Symantec products are jumpy. If they get damaged the only solution is to download SymNRT and remove every bit and byte including all possile registry info. This, in combination with the heavy performance drain makes the software less popular with a new version.

But Microsoft is again using it's monopoly and push it's own products before an others. It's their Operating Sytem and tools, okay. But still. If Microsoft just adds their software by default on Windows it's okay. But if 3rd party software is being deleted while it's an competitor, it's just unfair business.

alfonz
February 12th, 2006, 11:57 AM
HAHA, well I still do use Winblows for games and graphic work adobe, macromedia and stuff like that but I have never, never liked Norton anyway. AVG Free is the way to go for Winblows, its free and it works. Has saved my hide couple of times.

Klaidas
February 12th, 2006, 12:19 PM
Is norton really so bad? I have been using it for like 3 years, and I really like it :/

alfonz
February 12th, 2006, 12:47 PM
I never really liked it, didn't do its job for me and it was huge resource hog

my2cents

Virogenesis
February 12th, 2006, 12:49 PM
Symantec Anti-Virus prodcuts are certainly not virusses and malware applications. These programs have been checked by many well-known and skilled reviewers and other security companies.
True they have been tested by many security firms but the findings aren't good infact they are terrible norton is known for missing viruses even odd ones.
So by it not doing its job and not keeping the user safe would make it fall into malware by mistake.

Norton is also known like you say to hide itself in the windows registry removing would cause a decrease in system performance like you say much like the famous AOL software.

Is norton really so bad? I have been using it for like 3 years, and I really like it :/

No its not really bad its worse its terrible.
One of my contacts had a virus on her system I knew as I got a url from her randomly I warned her of this and told her to do a full system scan and she said already did but NORTON didn't pick anything up.
So doing with bad users all the time I suggested her to try nod32.
Now she did a scan with Nod32 and it picked up 18 cases of malware.

Norton leaves the user falsely protected and misguiding them inot thinking they are protected.
Sure Norton isn't the worst but it isn't the best either.

The best I'd personaly say would happen to be either Nod32 which is produced by an australian company or Kaspersky which is made by a russian firm.

Klaidas
February 12th, 2006, 02:11 PM
Hmm. Well ya, it really slows down the computer when running a scan. Actually, you can't really do anything while scanning.

How about AVG Free? Is it better than Norton?

public_void
February 12th, 2006, 02:55 PM
TBH most Windows AV products are poor. Paid ones are bloated and don't always do a good job, with them being resource hogs. The free onces IMO aren't great either, they don't seem to give much protection. The only AV I've liked is ClamWin. It not on-access, but you know it does a good job. But IMO the weakest link in computer security is the user. A piece of software can only protect you so much.

alfonz
February 12th, 2006, 02:59 PM
I have used AVG Free Edition for years and its been doing a lot better than Norton or McAfee ever have for me. It has saved me couple of times more than I can say for the aformentioned AV's Its also very light on resources and I can even play a game while its scanning.

best part about it is, its FREE! ;)

macewan
February 12th, 2006, 04:07 PM
ROFLMAO....hey wait, does this mean I should give up trying to get norton to run with WINE?:-k

that's ******* hilarious :mrgreen:

TechSonic
February 12th, 2006, 05:06 PM
They must've gotten a bunch of complaints, then. About a month ago, they went to a "trial version" system where it was free for 30 days. I haven't looked at AVG since November.

No, it's been this way.

Avast is better then AVG, but they don't have a Linux version.