PDA

View Full Version : What REALLY lightweight programs can't you live without?

Gadren
February 12th, 2006, 12:45 AM
I checked out a copy of the Linux Cookbook from our library, and have been learning various new commands. Wince most of the work I'm doing now involves only the CLI, I'm looking around for really lightweight programs that would be interesting and useful.

One of these is Dillo (http://www.dillo.org/), a Web browser I first saw in Damn Small Linux. It's certainly not as full-featured as Konqueror or Firefox, but man does it fly, and it's great for little jobs.

What tiny apps could you not live without?

drfalkor
February 12th, 2006, 01:04 AM
XMMS - music player
vlc - movie player
A X terminal..
A X editor, like gedit

and much more :D

xequence
February 12th, 2006, 01:19 AM
LAME.

It is super tiny, like 200KB, but it is so awesomly awesome and fun to watch it encode stuff.

simon_is_learning
February 12th, 2006, 01:25 AM
I must say Thunar.
The XFCE file manager.
Not in the xubuntu-desktop official but still....

red_Marvin
February 12th, 2006, 01:37 AM
Nethack.

...I am getting addicted to it...

engla
February 12th, 2006, 01:40 AM
I don't run much lightweight stuff.

'cmatrix' is meaningless but very cool. I just love how it looks.

5-HT
February 12th, 2006, 02:13 AM
As a printer light is no longer functioning, escputil (CLI Epson Stylus printer utility). :)

If you're looking for small CLI based apps, w3m is a nice CLI web browser and should be installed in by default in Breezy (it's also great for quickly viewing local html files as well, plus makes a nice pager).

EDIT: Forgot about aptitude and vi.

super
February 12th, 2006, 02:21 AM
aterm

Iandefor
February 12th, 2006, 02:26 AM
vi

majikstreet
February 12th, 2006, 02:55 AM
vi
ditto.

links2 with the -g option is COOL! fast as anything, but slightly graphical :D

oh yeah... APT-GET!!! dunno how light it is but I can't live without it..

EDIT:

wow. omfg.. cmatrix is AWESOME!

EDIT2:
thanks for the escputil program.. I also have an epson stylus! but.. how do you do the raw device thing?

racecat
February 12th, 2006, 03:26 AM
I checked out a copy of the Linux Cookbook from our library, and have been learning various new commands. Wince most of the work I'm doing now involves only the CLI, I'm looking around for really lightweight programs that would be interesting and useful.

One of these is Dillo (http://www.dillo.org/), a Web browser I first saw in Damn Small Linux. It's certainly not as full-featured as Konqueror or Firefox, but man does it fly, and it's great for little jobs.

What tiny apps could you not live without?

Wow! Thanks for the Dillo referral. It's awesome for some sites I experience slow loads from. I love my bloated Firefox for keeping my online travels organized, but sometimes I need to concentrate on one site and could use the speed. It's perfect.

Bill

fuscia
February 12th, 2006, 03:31 AM
openbox is the best. dillo and elinks are tie for first, regarding browsers. sylpheed-claws is just fine (i'd rather shoot myself than to wait for thunderbird to open). i can't do anything that mousepad can't. feh rocks. xmms is perfect for me. conky's great. if only i could solve my camera problem...

edit: camera problem solved. (i knew you'd be thrilled.0

Iandefor
February 12th, 2006, 05:53 AM
In terms of light weight, I think OO.O is the absolute best!:grin:

sivadnaes
February 12th, 2006, 06:09 AM
On one note, you cannot consider OO.O to be light weight.

My lightweight requirements are simplly put = xubuntu-desktop. I love the speed and usabilty, while at the same time remaining graphically pleasing.

sizzam
February 12th, 2006, 06:15 AM
fast-user-switch-applet

This is great for scenarios where two users share the same computer. Provides a gui interface to the Ctrl+Alt+F7/Ctrl+Alt+F8 trick for switching between two X sessions.

It also comes in handy when you are VNCing into the box, you can switch it to the other display easily.

papangul
February 12th, 2006, 09:18 AM
Beaver: multitabbed lightweight text editor
Rox-Filer: As my default 'Desktop File browser'
XNC- my 'System File Browser'
Audacious: my xmms
Opera: best browser for linux

towsonu2003
February 12th, 2006, 09:33 AM
conky...

lothar_m
February 12th, 2006, 11:17 AM
One of my personal favorites:

Wget

5-HT
February 12th, 2006, 06:03 PM
EDIT2:
thanks for the escputil program.. I also have an epson stylus! but.. how do you do the raw device thing?

For me, the raw device is /dev/lp0.

So to check the ink levels for example, I use:

sudo escputil -i -r /dev/lp0

Not all the functions require stipulating the raw device, but if they do simple tag on the '-r /dev/lp0' at the end.

There are quite a few options that the man page describes nicely (but be careful about printer head alignment...there's a big warning that it could possible cause damage if not used properly).

I find making aliases for the commands much quicker typing the originals out.

HTH

majikstreet
February 12th, 2006, 06:40 PM
thanks!

that's awesome!

Minyaliel
February 12th, 2006, 07:04 PM
Really, I couldn't live without Kpaint - I always use that for outlines for graphics, web sites and other design things. And it's a great boredom relief ;)

Lord Illidan
February 12th, 2006, 07:07 PM
Command line programs?

wget and vi rock! Same goes for apt-get and mplayer in a terminal. And links2 is awesome!

angkor
February 12th, 2006, 07:53 PM
apt
vim
mplayer

Not necessarily in that order. ;)

ebash
February 12th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Graphical editor:
nedit

chimera
February 12th, 2006, 08:20 PM
vi
wget (I can't get video streamiing in firefox working, so I just have mediaplayerconnectivity plugin spit out the direct links to the videos and dl them with wget)
xmms (THE music player)

ice60
February 12th, 2006, 09:32 PM
i like wget too just use the command

wget file_download_location file_download_location2 file_download_location3

then if you don't complete the download and want to restart it use the c option

wget -c file_download_location file_download_location2 file_download_location3

i use Privoxy too for an http proxy

i like nauitlus scripts too. i downloaded alot of them all in one go, i'll see if i can find where in abit. here's a screenshot.

ice60
February 12th, 2006, 09:46 PM
you can get the nautilus scripts from here (http://g-scripts.sourceforge.net/)

i also like BookMarklets which i use in Opera, i have one which will fast forward/rewind to the next page, one which will open the page i'm on in archive.org, one which will show all the links to the page i'm on etc etc
http://nontroppo.org/wiki/PowerButtons
http://nontroppo.org/wiki/CustomButtons

here are some of my extra buttons

bored2k
February 12th, 2006, 09:50 PM
gmplayer
pacman/apt