PDA

View Full Version : Surrogates Run on Linux [Contains Spoilers]

JoshuaRL
October 8th, 2009, 03:33 AM
So, I just saw the new movie "Surrogates" featuring Bruce Willis among others. If you go see this movie, please pay careful attention to the end.

At the end, there's some footage of a sweet multiple monitor control room, and when the story gets intense, there are a couple of terminals open. Usually in movies like this, that is just crappy made-up stuff in there. And one looked like maybe hex code running on a loop, and another one I couldn't get a good look at.

But the middle one intrigued me the most. Instead of made-up commands, I saw a part of a path I recognize. It flashed a couple times, but really fast. Here's what I caught:

/usr/[blah]/[blah]/a11/[blah]/[blah]

At least, that's how I remember it. It could be a little different. But I know that the first directory, and the fact it was using slashes instead of backslashes are correct.

[Spoiler Alert]
So the question remains, is the surrogate grid running on Linux? And if so, why would a virus drop the system? What are everyone else's thoughts?

JoshuaRL
October 10th, 2009, 07:32 AM
Oh come on, I can't be the only one to have seen that movie or seen the path.

Or how about opinions? Everyone on the internet has one. My current theory is that its a POSIX-style OS that somehow has horrible user limitations, or the admin is lazy and runs in root. Otherwise, the "virus" wouldn't work.

bodyharvester
October 10th, 2009, 10:35 AM
i havent seen it

but i would venture my guess not as a virus but at SKYNET

SkyNet2029
October 10th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Hmmm. Now I have a goal. Will watch and post later this weekend. Why does everyone blame Skynet??:P

el mariachi
October 10th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Because everyone knows Steve Jobs and What's-his-name-ballmer made a pact with the devil and created Skynet to become mighty warlords to conquer the world and end FOSS (or not).