PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Try Pardus 2009 yet?

MasterNetra
October 8th, 2009, 02:35 AM
Anyone Try Pardus 2009 yet? I'm installing it onto a partition on my old faithful Gateway 500se. Although its geared for noobs I hear from reviews that in spite it using KD 4.2.4 its very stable (guess they ironed out a number of bugs themselves I guess.) Of course should they have a GUI control for touch-pads that would work with my Dell Laptop's touch-pad I would be sold.

MasterNetra
October 8th, 2009, 06:22 AM
Pardus for me isn't a keeper, at least not quite yet. Though overall it does seem to behave quite well, more so then I've had a KDE distro behave. However, that said it package upgrade can use a bit more work (or their repo) as for whatever reason I cannot download all the upgrades from it, it trys to load the next screen but fails and instead just hangs with the busy cursor. While with other updates it had no issue. Almost tossed it as useless to me even earlier with how you have to setup a wireless connection, me being a gnome user I was expecting the clicking network icon and selecting the network it was only after some playing around did I learn you got to create a profile and scan for the target network from it. I don't remember if that is for all KDE or just this and perhaps a few other distros but that would minus points for newcomers. Either way the issues with the upgrades kills it for me, otherwise it is a well polished and seems to be a stable KDE Distro.

invenit
November 12th, 2009, 03:11 PM
I loaded Pardus 2010 a few days ago. Pretty awesome for a new KDE implementation; actually the first KDE 4 that I consider ready for prime time. No problem with updates here.:popcorn:

Currently, I triple boot WinXP with Ubuntu 9.10 & CrunchBang. Haven't yet figured out how to get grub 2 to also see Pardus (no trouble working with Ubuntu-derived distros). It's either WinXP + Ubuntu or WinXP + Pardus but not WinXP + Ubuntu + Pardus (or PCLinuxOS, etc.).

MasterNetra
November 12th, 2009, 04:00 PM
I guess they fixed the Package Manager issues...just surprised 2010 is already out.

invenit
November 17th, 2009, 03:26 AM
Just in case anyone needs to dual boot Pardus or PCLinuxOS with Ubuntu, I found the solution in this thread http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=257528&highlight=dual+boot ;)

dontgetshocked
February 14th, 2010, 08:09 PM
What is the password for this version?