PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Need help installing

CannibalAngel
October 8th, 2009, 02:24 AM
Hello;

I am trying to install Xubuntu 9.04 on an old HP Pavilion from 2001 and am having some troubles. Lets start off with the systems specs.

Intel i845 chipset
99MHz FSB
512M RAM
Pentium 4 CPU @ 1594MHz
8K L1 Cache
256K L2 Cache
Originally installed with Microsoft Windows XP Professional

I ran a disk check (the one that came with Xubuntu) an it reported no errors.

I ran the included memory test an there were no errors with 1 pass.

I run the install from the disk (instead of booting the live CD and clicking the intall icon).

After I select the keyboard and click next it displays an error saying that the "Console setup has crashed. Console setup failed with exit code 2." I click try again and the error keeps coming up. I clicked continue anyway and got passed it for the tie being.

I selected to use the entire disk to install Xubuntu to. It gets to "Creating ext3 file system for / in partition #1 of SCSI1." This process gets to 5%. After a minute or two of sitting at 5% a ton of error messages start scrolling and then the computer just freezes and will not do anything and I have to reset it.

Please help me. Any suggestions will be helpfull (other than buying a new computer because I do not have the spare cash at this time.)

CannibalAngel
October 8th, 2009, 02:44 AM
Also, I thought it was worth noting that I am using a boot DVD and not a CD. I would have used a CD but I didn't have any.

I am relatively new to Ubuntu and have never used Xubuntu before. I am a little familier with the terminal and am not scared of using it. Actually that is why I am installing Linux. I want to be able to work proficiently in the terminal/command prompt.

Anarci
October 8th, 2009, 02:51 AM
Does installing via booting from the live cd crash in the same way?

CannibalAngel
October 8th, 2009, 02:52 AM
Yes it does.

CannibalAngel
October 8th, 2009, 04:22 AM
BUMP

Please help me.

CannibalAngel
October 8th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Still need help on this issue. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

CannibalAngel
October 8th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Bumping again. Still need help.

diesch
October 8th, 2009, 07:14 PM
What error messages do you get when creating the file system?

CannibalAngel
October 8th, 2009, 07:24 PM
It is a long list of errors. Things like unable to allocate. They sound like HDD errors but when I checked the HDD with the built in check it passed with no errors.

CannibalAngel
October 8th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Any suggestions?

CannibalAngel
October 8th, 2009, 09:52 PM
If I can not get this problem solved I will probibly just end up installing Ubuntu 9.04 on my laptop in a VM. Should I watch out for any known issues in running Ubuntu 9.04 in a VM on a Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition laptop?

The laptop is a Toshiba Satelite
1.86GHz Intel processor
4GB of RAM
100GB HDD

I will install Ubuntu in Microsoft VMWare Workstation. Not sure of the version number.

louieb
October 8th, 2009, 11:33 PM
Machine should boot and run Ubuntu with no problem. Suspect a bad burn of install CD/DVD - run the check media for defects option.

BTW: Ubuntu runs just fine in VirtualBox (HP desktop 4GB ram, running XP most of the time).

CannibalAngel
October 8th, 2009, 11:52 PM
I will check the DVD and try again. Also found another thread on here with a suggestion that I haven't tried so I will be trying that as well.

Thanks for the info!

MauritsMB
October 12th, 2009, 11:25 AM
I've been experiencing the exact same problem for Unbuntu desktop version 9.04.
Have you found a solution already? If so could you post it here?

Thanks