PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ubuntu version

progress2009
October 8th, 2009, 01:26 AM
Hi I'm totally new to Ubuntu and I really would like to start working with it ,you know tired about windows bugs and all that nightmare and I've heard that Ubuntu is way more friendly and safe, so what i would like to do is have both cause even though windows is a nightmare there are a lot of programs that you need that only run under windows.

So what I have is a netbookthat I just bought Lenovo S10-2 ,it came with Windows XP Home , has 160 GB HD , I would like your help guys to decide on the Ububtu version that would fit it the best , since I been noticing there are different versions ( 6.06 ,610, 8.04, 9.04), plus it didn't come with any installation disks so I would like to know which would be the safest in case something goes wrong

And I've been hearing that Ubuntu seems to have some networking issues ,do you think it 'd happen with this netbook it comes with a Broadcom 802.11g network adapter does that make any difference?

Well thanks for your time , I would really appreciate your help on this guys

ermeyers
October 8th, 2009, 01:35 AM
Keep it simple and install the "current" Ubuntu 9.04. Version 9.10 is coming in 22 days, but is not yet done-done.

Mark Phelps
October 10th, 2009, 11:56 PM
Since you said you have no restore/install disks, the first thing to do to be "safe" would be to download Macrium Reflect or EASUS Partition Manager, install it, plug in an external drive, and image off the partition. This will create a backup in case anything goes wrong during the Ubuntu install.

Also, in choosing which product, I would look into which allows you to create a bootable USB because you will need that to do a disk recovery if your installation gets hosed.

I'm saying this because, ordinarily, the "safe" thing to do would be to boot from a LiveCD and see how well that works, but since your machine has no optical drive, that's not an option for you.