PDA

View Full Version : So how is the Arora browser?

Grimhound
October 8th, 2009, 12:53 AM
Has anyone had a chance to try out the Arora browser featured here: http://lifehacker.com/5375549/arora-is-an-open+source-browser-with-out+of+the+box-ad-blocking? I'm curious over whether it's any good or not. I've read it's a bit buggy at the moment, but I'm looking at it with cautious interest.

cariboo
October 8th, 2009, 01:06 AM
Why don't you install it and try it, it is in the repositories. If you don't like it you can always remove it.

Grimhound
October 8th, 2009, 01:18 AM
Why don't you install it and try it, it is in the repositories. If you don't like it you can always remove it.

I had no idea. Thanks for informing me of that! :D

Edit: Hmm. Seems to be plagued with many of the same issues as the other browsers like Firefox and Chrome, yet it suffers from them worse. The Flash issues really kill me.

Jimleko211
October 8th, 2009, 01:35 AM
Because the one in the Ubuntu repos? Sucks. It's way outdated, just like the Midori version.

I'm running the latest version, compiled from the AUR, which is either from SVN or Git...either way it's the latest. A few crashes here and there, but it's a pretty solid browser. Not as good ad blocking as ad-block plus, though.

hoppipolla
October 8th, 2009, 02:46 AM
Because the one in the Ubuntu repos? Sucks. It's way outdated, just like the Midori version.

I'm running the latest version, compiled from the AUR, which is either from SVN or Git...either way it's the latest. A few crashes here and there, but it's a pretty solid browser. Not as good ad blocking as ad-block plus, though.

What is the advantage of Arora over Firefox and Chrome? Is it kinda like Chrome with ad-blocker?

NormanFLinux
October 8th, 2009, 04:22 AM
Its a lightweight version of Apple's Safari browser - built on the same Webkit engine. Unlike Safari, it is truly cross-platform.

HappinessNow
October 8th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Its a lightweight version of Apple's Safari browser - built on the same Webkit engine. Unlike Safari, it is truly cross-platform.So basically it is a Google Chrome duplicate then?

cdwillis
October 8th, 2009, 08:53 AM
I think it's pretty much the Qt version of Midori, but when I tested it out earlier this year I was less than impressed. Midori made leaps of progress over it in a short amount of time. I heard that Kubuntu was thinking of making Arora the default browser for the next release.

sertse
October 8th, 2009, 09:16 AM
The amount of misinformation is amazing.

Chrome(ium), Safari, Midori and Arora (as well as others) are all web browsers that use Webkit as their engine. Arora is a web browser with a Qt front end. Midori on the other hand uses a Gtk front end. In that sense they are similar, but they are separate projects run by different people.

Skripka
October 8th, 2009, 01:46 PM
What is the advantage of Arora over Firefox and Chrome? Is it kinda like Chrome with ad-blocker?

It is far lighter weight than Firefox. It is far faster than Firefox. It is native Qt, which niether Chrome nor Firefox is. And it is not spyware like Chrome.

Skripka
October 8th, 2009, 01:47 PM
So basically it is a Google Chrome duplicate then?

Huh???

gjoellee
October 8th, 2009, 01:57 PM
So basically it is a Google Chrome duplicate then?

No. Arora is not based on Chromium or Google Chrome although they still all use the same engine.

cdwillis
October 12th, 2009, 06:22 AM
And it is not spyware like Chrome.

Please don't spread FUD around here. Sending back information to Google is entirely optional. This applies to both Chrome and Chromium.

hoppipolla
October 12th, 2009, 06:35 AM
It's alright. I think it shows considerable potential :)

EDIT -- However, I personally wish they would go for a more Chrome-esque layout!

It is far lighter weight than Firefox. It is far faster than Firefox. It is native Qt, which niether Chrome nor Firefox is. And it is not spyware like Chrome.

Aww that's a shame man you made some good points until that last sentence! lol :)