PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Please help me. (torrents)

echotone
October 7th, 2009, 10:48 PM
I do not do anything illegal.

Hypothetically speaking, if one were trying to get a dvd rip from a torrent site, and they get a file full of .rxx (xx being numbers) files. How would one go about finding something to be able to watch that movie???

andrew.46
October 7th, 2009, 10:59 PM
Hi echotone,

if one were trying to get a dvd rip from a torrent site, and they get a file full of .rxx (xx being numbers) files. How would one go about finding something to be able to watch that movie???

It is not only illegal software and movies that are distributed on torrents, plenty of legal stuff is efficiently distributed in this way :). In fact the best and most community minded way to download Ubuntu isos is via torrents.

You have encountered a multipart archive most like using rar. Joining of these parts is done with unrar via the commandline or I believe FileRoller will also do it when unrar is installed.

All the best,

Andrew

bluelamp999
October 7th, 2009, 11:02 PM
Speaking hypothetically...

RAR files are compressed files (WinRAR compressed archive) similar to ZIP files.

Because your file probably originated from Usenet which has a fixed file size, the file had to be split into discrete parts (.r01, .r02, etc).

Look for the file with a .rar suffix and double-click on it, this should open Archive Manager which should decompress and join the discrete parts into the original file.

If unrar is not installed on your system, see here - http://tombuntu.com/index.php/2008/02/15/open-rar-archives-in-ubuntu/

echotone
October 11th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Sweet. Thanks people.