PDA

View Full Version : Legal or Illegal?

lolium
October 7th, 2009, 10:32 PM
I've searched alot of forums websites and looked through the computer misuse act, and cannot find what im looking for...

At school a couple of weeks ago I had some spare time at lunch, and I knew I had an open port on my router so i decided I would port scan it so I could gain access to my router so I could confiure it to sort out a problem I am having with somebody usin my network with high usage. Anyway I did a port scan on my router and the next day I was banned from the school network Permenantly. Which is also effecting my school work majorly.

I beleive that i would be allowed to port scan my own network but does it make it illegal as im port scanning from another network. And I just find it ridiculous that when I tried to talk about it I aren't being taken notice of and wont listen to what i have to say!

Was i fairly banned?
Is there anything i can do or say which will help me say I wasn't doing anything bad?

If anyone could help me or tell me the legalities of what I have done are.... It would be hugely appreciated

Thanks

Lolium

koenn
October 7th, 2009, 10:45 PM
usually, when you're on a network that is not your own (school, work, public library, ...), you do so by the rules, terms, conditions, ... of whoever gave you permission to use that network.
So it's not about legal or illegal - it's about what the owners of the network consider "acceptable use".

You can either argue that you didn't know and had no way of knowing that port scanning was unacceptable on this network (if that is indeed the case),
or argue that you interpreted the rule as being meant to keep people from using that network as a means to anonymously do port scans - and that it wouldn't apply to running a check against your own network / computer.

In the end, it'll be up to your school to decide.

overdrank
October 7th, 2009, 10:45 PM
This in not a issue for the forums. You should take it up with the school administration. Thread closed