PDA

View Full Version : mp3 player that just works

jamesey
October 7th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Anyone have recommendations for a great media player that works out of the box? I don't want to jailbreak or hack anything to get it talking to rhythmbox or songbird.

-=hazard=-
October 7th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Vlc :)

NoaHall
October 7th, 2009, 09:12 PM
Ipod classic works just fine, no need for jailbreaking. Just make sure it's set up for disk use. Or you don't even need that.

Tibuda
October 7th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Vlc :)

I think the OP wants a device and not an application.

SuperSonic4
October 7th, 2009, 09:16 PM
Cowon.

I can personally say that The Cowon iAudio D2 works perfectly on my linux box. It updates in a file manager and uses the file manager to upgrade the firmware

LowSky
October 7th, 2009, 09:16 PM
i think a good dela of users like the Sansa Clip

SunnyRabbiera
October 7th, 2009, 09:18 PM
Sansa is my fave, I got a 1GB sansa clip, but thats more then enough for me

JDShu
October 7th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Any generic mp3 player should work fine... just stick it into your computer like a usb stick.

Jose Catre-Vandis
October 7th, 2009, 09:29 PM
For most mp3 players I have used they are either recognised immediately as a USB drive or you need to tell the player to operate in a disc mode as opposed to phone mode (generic expressionss!)

-=hazard=-
October 7th, 2009, 09:43 PM
I think the OP wants a device and not an application.

My bad, didn't understand the question :confused:

openfly
October 7th, 2009, 09:52 PM
I bought a sansa for a case mod project. It was a pretty diesel little player. Also a fan of the ipod shuffle ( at least the version I had didn't require itunes )

ve4cib
October 7th, 2009, 10:29 PM
Cowon.

I can personally say that The Cowon iAudio D2 works perfectly on my linux box. It updates in a file manager and uses the file manager to upgrade the firmware

I've been using a Cowon iAudio X5 extremely heavily for the last four (almost five) years. It's a rock-solid little device. It's been dropped, scraped, shoved in and out of pockets, and put through more abuse than my high school calculator. And it still works like new*

It's also got Flac and Ogg support right out of the box, plays DivX .avi movies (provided you lower the resolution and framerate -- mencoder works well for this), and if you really want to there's a Rockbox port for it.

_________
* I have had to do a few repairs over the years; the battery was replaced once (under warranty about 6 months into owning the device -- very easy and hassle-free; just mail it off and wait about a week for it to come back with a new battery).

I also broke the headphone jack's connections in an unfortunate accident involving a pair of headphones with a very large connector and a pocket that was too small. That was a very simple soldering job and took about five minutes.

Finally, one of the wires connecting the battery to the board broke a few weeks ago. Again, very simple soldering job; just unscrew the back of the case, melt some solder on, and screw the case closed again.

diskotek
October 7th, 2009, 11:07 PM
i like my simple sony mp3 player.. drag and drop files... just works fine. cheap enough...

speedwell68
October 7th, 2009, 11:21 PM
I have a 2nd Generation iPod Shuffle 1GB, it works just fine in Songbird, Rythmbox and GTK-Pod. Out of preference I use it in Songbird.

doorknob60
October 7th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Any Sansa player will work well.

PhoHammer
October 8th, 2009, 12:40 AM
http://www.sandisk.com/media/18974/black_130x89.jpg

I second the Sansa Clip. It even has a microSD slot for expansion.
The only thing I don't like about my iPod touch is it relies on iTunes way too
heavily...

murderslastcrow
October 8th, 2009, 01:15 AM
If you want something a bit more epic, you could get an N810 (great choice, and getting cheaper) or a Zii-Egg (freaking awesome with a good graphics processor). Of course, these are more mini-computers than mere media players. Samsung has a lot of media players with tons of codec support, which will save you space later if you use oggs and ogvs.

I wouldn't get an iPod just because of the lack of ogg support (depends on you). But, if you just want mp3 (along with wav and wma I believe) support, I'd get one of the mp3-headphones sets from ZoPiD. I love those things (durable, convenient, and I believe they offer 2 GB right now for about 35 dollars, it's a steal).

These things used to be 200 dollars or more a few years ago.
http://www.zopid.com/servlet/the-102/zopid,-mp3-player,-he-dsh-zm5800,/Detail

Sam
October 8th, 2009, 02:04 AM
Cowon iAudio 7 (http://www.cowonamerica.com/products/iaudio/7/) (check link for features).

I have one and it rocks ! It plays MP3, OGG, WMA, ASF, FLAC and WAV, uses the file manager to put files on it (4, 8 or 16 GB), and the battery last 60 hours !

pwnst*r
October 8th, 2009, 02:24 AM
another one of these threads....

Cowon for the thousandth time.