PDA

View Full Version : Best apps? For 2 different uses.

Cam42
October 7th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Okay, I finally got smart, and moved my sisters' account to a non-admin, and me to an administrator account. Mainly because they'll be causing problems, and I'll be fixing them.
I need some apps.
List 1: For the Admin. I've got GNOME Do already, but what else can I install to keep me working fast and efficiently?

List 2: For the limited account. My sisters aren't that great with computers, and are only familiar with *******. I've installed Wintergreen Menu (the Ubuntu port of mintMenu) what else would make it easy to use, yet limit them from screwing anything up too bad? (I've already made it as hard as possible for them to access Termainal)

Cam42
October 7th, 2009, 10:06 PM
I now have conky to monitor the hard drive usage..

Cam42
October 25th, 2009, 05:10 AM
pointless bump.

Jimleko211
October 25th, 2009, 05:15 AM
To keep you working fast and efficiently, maybe try using keyboard shortcuts?

As for your sisters, I don't know. Just let them get used to it, I suppose.

Nevon
October 25th, 2009, 08:11 AM
May I suggest Hannah Montana Linux for them? ;)

http://hannahmontana.sourceforge.net/Site/Home_files/hml.2.jpg

Nerd King
October 25th, 2009, 08:30 AM
For yourself, well it depends on how you work. I use Scale and Expo in compiz, with gnome-do, and various keyboard shortcuts, but that's me.

For account 2.. you don't really need to limit it that much. Just don't put that user in the sudoers group and all they can do is wreck their own home directory. Back it up once a week and you're sorted.

Ask what your sisters actually want to do with their computers and use that to decide what to install. However I'd definitely include obvious things like video codecs, vlc, libdvdcss, openoffice, firefox, flash, java, and probably Wine as well pre-configured with winetricks to add msxml, various vcrun and vbruns, directx, fonts, etc. Also copy your entire fonts directory to /home/username/.fonts and they'll not complain that they don't have the fonts they want. Beyond that, vary per user.

Cam42
October 25th, 2009, 05:47 PM
May I suggest Hannah Montana Linux for them? ;)

http://hannahmontana.sourceforge.net/Site/Home_files/hml.2.jpg
LOL.
I actually almost did that.

For yourself, well it depends on how you work. I use Scale and Expo in compiz, with gnome-do, and various keyboard shortcuts, but that's me.

For account 2.. you don't really need to limit it that much. Just don't put that user in the sudoers group and all they can do is wreck their own home directory. Back it up once a week and you're sorted.

Ask what your sisters actually want to do with their computers and use that to decide what to install. However I'd definitely include obvious things like video codecs, vlc, libdvdcss, openoffice, firefox, flash, java, and probably Wine as well pre-configured with winetricks to add msxml, various vcrun and vbruns, directx, fonts, etc. Also copy your entire fonts directory to /home/username/.fonts and they'll not complain that they don't have the fonts they want. Beyond that, vary per user.
Yeah, they don't do anything beyond internet and watching movies. totally forgot about libdvdcss