PDA

View Full Version : Anything Like system76 in india?

akshay.sulakhe
October 7th, 2009, 07:38 PM
System 76 is awesome,with the hardware and software they ship. I live in India and they dont ship here. what shud i do. I want to buy a laptop. Ofcourse Ubuntu based. Please tell me any such thing if exists in India.

praveesh
October 7th, 2009, 08:13 PM
You can buy a dell laptop with Ubuntu preinstalled . Up to my knowledge, they have been selling Ubuntu powered systems in India . But you will need to wait a week after booking, to get an Ubuntu powered system. How did you know about the system 76 . I haven't seen it, in India.

praveesh
October 7th, 2009, 08:16 PM
If you are planning to purchase a netbook, you can buy an Hp mini with "mobile internet experience" which is a remix of Ubuntu. Best wishes !!!!

amsum
October 7th, 2009, 08:49 PM
system 76 ships only to US and Canada as of now. Linux popularity is yet to take place in India and since most of the home desktop users (except laptop where you have not much choice) are using pirated version of windows anyways, I don't see any immediate shift away from windows. And since we don't have enough customers for Linux, definitely fewer companies have interest in promoting Linux. Though HP and Dell have started selling Ubuntu based laptops recently but the choice is still very limited.

amsum
October 7th, 2009, 09:07 PM
A piece of advice for you.. if you are really comfortable using ubuntu and planning to purchase Linux-based laptop, then you don't buy a windows based laptop and wipe it to install ubuntu later. Though it is not going to make any difference in your linux experience but I am advising it for 2 reaons.
1)why should we unnecessarily pay for windows licensing when we don't intend to use it. 1st they are forcing their crap on us and at the same time they want to pay for it. this makes me wild.
2)if you buy windows installed laptop, they always count as one more customer for MS irrespective of whether you use windows or not. It gives the impression to PC manufacturers that only windows sells and they never intend to make PC for linux and finally we lose.

Zoot7
October 7th, 2009, 10:10 PM
1)why should we unnecessarily pay for windows licensing when we don't intend to use it. 1st they are forcing their crap on us and at the same time they want to pay for it. this makes me wild.
2)if you buy windows installed laptop, they always count as one more customer for MS irrespective of whether you use windows or not. It gives the impression to PC manufacturers that only windows sells and they never intend to make PC for linux and finally we lose.
Too true. It drives me crazy aswell. It truly is a pity you can't buy systems with no OS, and then upon asking for no OS you either get looked at like you've two heads or get laughed at.

It doesn't matter too much to me right now, as I build all my desktops which purges Microsoft from the picture, my nearly 2 year old Dell XPS M1530 is doing me fine, and my legal copy of XP that I use for games and games only is going to stay there until it's totally obsolete . But the time will come again where I've to pay Microsoft for a product I neither want nor will use. :(

That's like forcing people to buy a banana in addition to an Apple when all they want is an Apple.

Sorry for going off topic. :)

rohit143
June 22nd, 2012, 05:46 AM
Now Shipping Internationally!
System76 now ships Ubuntu laptops, desktops, and servers to 25 countries. New, lower UPS shipping rates make it affordable to have the quality and craftsmanship of System76 products in your country.
North America United States, Canada
South America Brazil
Europe Iceland, Greenland, Portugal, Spain, Italy, France, Norway,
Sweden, Finland, Germany, Ireland, United Kingdom, Switzerland,
Belgium, Denmark, Netherlands
Asia India, Japan, South Korea
Australia
Zealandia New Zealand

Information for International Customers
International orders ship via UPS Express service. Generally, shipments are delivered within 4 business days of shipment. UPS will ship your computer to the nearest customs office. Once customs clears the package, you will be contacted for delivery authorization to your residence or place of business.
UPS Express service includes shipment, insurance, and carrier brokerage. System76, Inc. does not collect taxes or duties for orders being shipped internationally. To determine taxes or duties owed, if any, please contact your customs office with both the description of your order and its total price. All System76 prices are in US Dollar (USD).
System76 only manufactures US keyboard layouts. System76 products are compatible with world wide power grids. You will need to purchase a plug adapter for your computer.

General Shipping Information
Exact shipping, handling, and insurance costs are calculated at checkout.
Our Laptops, Desktops, and Servers are custom built for each order and generally ship according to these guidelines:
* Laptops ship within 5 - 8 business days after placing an order
* Desktops ship within 5 - 8 business days after placing an order
* Servers ship within 5 - 8 business days after placing an order.

Once an order has shipped, you will be notified via email of the tracking information. If for any reason your order is delayed, we will notify you. If you have any questions regarding shipping please email sales@system76.com.

vasa1
June 22nd, 2012, 06:04 AM
http://blog.canonical.com/2012/06/18/dell-extends-ubuntu-retail-into-india/

Elfy
June 22nd, 2012, 07:02 AM
Back to sleep I think.