PDA

View Full Version : Facebook is scary

Bachstelze
October 7th, 2009, 07:08 PM
So when I signed up, it gave me some suggestions of people to add as friends. Some of them were friends from back in junior high that I haven't seen ever since.

I don't know about you, but it kinda gives me the creeps...

HappinessNow
October 7th, 2009, 07:11 PM
so when i signed up, it gave me some suggestions of people to add as friends. Some of them were friends from back in junior high that i haven't seen ever since.

I don't know about you, but it kinda gives me the creeps...+1

pwnst*r
October 7th, 2009, 07:15 PM
but doesn't it ask what school you attended or something like that?

Cam42
October 7th, 2009, 07:16 PM
all of the "people I may know" are either people I /don't/ know, or people I am intentionally avoiding!

Bachstelze
October 7th, 2009, 07:17 PM
but doesn't it ask what school you attended or something like that?

It does, but I didn't answer.

JDShu
October 7th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Probably cause they're ' "friends" of your friends'.

pwnst*r
October 7th, 2009, 07:18 PM
It does, but I didn't answer.

spookeh

PuddingKnife
October 7th, 2009, 07:20 PM
I imagine that some friends of yours have suggested that you join Facebook. So FB lies in wait for you to one day join, and when you do, you already have a small group of people to add to your friends list.

Or Im completely wrong.

ElSlunko
October 7th, 2009, 07:22 PM
The internet is smart. Too smart. >_>

OpenGuard
October 7th, 2009, 07:40 PM
The internet is smart. Too smart. >_>

Or the ones who invented it ?

ElSlunko
October 7th, 2009, 07:48 PM

Did we invent it, or did it event us?

Where is philosoraptor when you need him.

LowSky
October 7th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Its scary when your mom gets a facebook account. I don't need her looking at my status or conversations with friends or my pictures. It too much aggrevation to explain things to her that I rather not have her know. I'm a grown man, I don't need that aggrevation.

sudoer541
October 7th, 2009, 07:50 PM
ubuntu forums is facebook for me.

blur xc
October 7th, 2009, 08:07 PM

I thought Al Gore invented the internets? :confused:

BM

OpenGuard
October 7th, 2009, 08:12 PM
I thought Al Gore invented the internets? :confused:

BM

Hmm .. my memory says that the web ( internet ) was invented by Tim Berners-Lee :roll:

blur xc
October 7th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Hmm .. my memory says that the web ( internet ) was invented by Tim Berners-Lee :roll:

Can't take a joke?

BM

OpenGuard
October 7th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Can't take a joke?

BM

My brains are in <sleep mode> .. just finished fixing one project with more bugs than lines in it :|

suitedaces
October 7th, 2009, 08:22 PM
It keeps recommending people based on being at same uni as me, a uni with 25,000 people!

suitedaces
October 7th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Did we invent it, or did it event us?

Where is philosoraptor when you need him.

He's out searching for the silent falling trees.

PuddingKnife
October 7th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Can't take a joke?

BM

Yea but that ones played out :P

ikisham
October 7th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Just disable cookies forever from your browser. ._.

Jesus_Valdez
October 7th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Just disable cookies forever from your browser. ._.
Midori does that for me from time to time.

madjr
October 7th, 2009, 09:13 PM
now i know i don't want a facebook

i really didn't a lot of people in my highschool (too $tuckup) am glad that's over so i dont want to relive it again, i would had been happier if my parents had let me go to a non private high skewl i wanted

i kinda have to keep dealing with it from time to time since my lil bro married his highskewl sweetherat

uni was better for me since i married my unisweatherat

NoaHall
October 7th, 2009, 09:17 PM
madjr, i'm with you on that.
I'm sick and tired of the horrible masses. The horrible, horrible masses.
Religion is no longer their opiate, but drugs, football, rugby and alcohol instead. Oh, and don't forget racism. They just love racism.

nothingspecial
October 7th, 2009, 09:34 PM
I had to get a facebook account otherwise I wouldn`t be married....... even though I`m pretty sure I am.

But she couldn`t be married to me ... on facebook ... unless I had an account.

And, Knowing my place, I got one.

And now I get loads of emails saying people I don`t know, or can`t remember want to be my friend.

And emails saying people who are already my friend want to be my friend.

And emails about people commenting on photos of me from recent parties.

And I deal with it by ignoring it.

If I delete my account, will I be divorced?

ElSlunko
October 7th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Kinda lame to have been on FB before it became popular. Again, its either a tool you use or a tool that uses you. Your choice.

Joeb454
October 7th, 2009, 09:44 PM
So when I signed up, it gave me some suggestions of people to add as friends. Some of them were friends from back in junior high that I haven't seen ever since.

I don't know about you, but it kinda gives me the creeps...

It's suggested one of the other staff to me before, as well as another Beginners Team member, both of which have no friends in common. They do now, but still...creepy :-s

PrototypeAlex
October 7th, 2009, 09:45 PM
They must be pretty close to banning it in Uni, every screen I look at in the computer labs has Facebook loaded on it (and the odd youtube).

Talk about counter productive..

Dragonbite
October 7th, 2009, 09:51 PM
I joined Facebook at the request of some friends from College, but once I got in I started finding people I knew from High School much more.

Now I have a bunch of groups (college, high school, last company I worked for, etc.) but pretty much, if I don't know the person personally (as in I recognize the name, even if I have to flip through the old yearbook sometimes) then I don't accept them.

I do need to lock down my account a bit more, but I haven't put too much personal stuff on it so far to lock down.

Oh, and they organized the 20th high school reunion, which is this coming weekend. At least I know I am not the only fat/balding person in the class! ;)

diskotek
October 7th, 2009, 11:10 PM
gives me the creeps also

hoppipolla
October 7th, 2009, 11:46 PM
Facebook shakes me to my very core O.O

infestor
October 8th, 2009, 12:05 AM
what i found out is that this sneaky ****** facebook can relate your email (or cookies or ip really i dont know) to people in a way i still dont know.
i created an account using an email that i rarely check, it right away suggested me some people i know from mid/high school and university.

NoaHall
October 8th, 2009, 12:11 AM
If someone makes their photos aviable to view to only their friends, and they have a friend who has a fully open profile who has commented on a picture of the "private" friend, then you can view the entire album. Whose idea was that?

I believe they are accessing your email account, and thus building a suggestion list. Cookies wouldn't work. Resolved IP addresses are still too vague.

madjr
October 8th, 2009, 12:34 AM
I joined Facebook at the request of some friends from College, but once I got in I started finding people I knew from High School much more.

Now I have a bunch of groups (college, high school, last company I worked for, etc.) but pretty much, if I don't know the person personally (as in I recognize the name, even if I have to flip through the old yearbook sometimes) then I don't accept them.

I do need to lock down my account a bit more, but I haven't put too much personal stuff on it so far to lock down.

Oh, and they organized the 20th high school reunion, which is this coming weekend. At least I know I am not the only fat/balding person in the class! ;)

hehe

ubuntu27
October 8th, 2009, 12:36 AM
Facebook checks your e-mail contacts for suggestion.