PDA

View Full Version : How do I stop procrastinating???

tuahaa
October 7th, 2009, 06:36 PM
I'm in high school (well, middle school actually) and currently I am having a bit of problems with procrastination. Last week we had to hand in a tonne of homework due in and I had to work my buttocks off to do it. This week however, we have little homework and now I got really lazy over the weekend (due to the luxury of not having homework). I am ahead in most of it, but I know through experience (I am sure all of you will know as well) that if you leave something that is almost finished and don't try to finish it off then and there, new homework is given (usually) and then you get pwnt when it piles up.

Anyway, I need to get on to finishing the small amount of it! It shouldn't even take me that long, I only have one question left for my Humanities assignment and some Math work due in next week. I had 2 hours to do it and I only did half the question and I didn't touch my Math work. I just can't stop doing other stuff (e.g. Slash'em)

Any tips on getting on with it? Right now it seems that I will finish it all tomorrow evening (Thursday, which is just before the weekend here as Friday and Saturday are weekends) so I can enjoy my weekend.

suitedaces
October 7th, 2009, 06:40 PM
I'll tell you later.

renkinjutsu
October 7th, 2009, 06:42 PM
It's like pressing snooze on your alarm clock

just suck it up and get up

schauerlich
October 7th, 2009, 06:44 PM
unplug your ethernet cable and hand it to your parents. Tell them not to give it back to you until you're done with your work. Do the same with the power cord to any video game systems, batteries for handhelds, etc.

That, or develop a work ethic.

tuahaa
October 7th, 2009, 06:54 PM
unplug your ethernet cable and hand it to your parents. Tell them not to give it back to you until you're done with your work. Do the same with the power cord to any video game systems, batteries for handhelds, etc.

I have wireless. I don't play games while working (aside from Slash'em while I'm in procrastination mode)

tuahaa
October 7th, 2009, 06:56 PM
I feel like a lazy n00b... someone ban me for one day or something if I don't finish it by tomorrow or else I fear it well stretch into the precious weekends.

renkinjutsu
I have wireless. I don't play games while working (aside from Slash'em while I'm in procrastination mode)

then, you know exactly what your problem is.

RiceMonster
It's a hard habit to break. There isn't really much you can do other than just force yourself to concentrate and get to it.

pwnst*r
October 7th, 2009, 06:57 PM

/thread

wojox
October 7th, 2009, 07:01 PM
You know what happens to kids who don't do their homework, they grow up to be ditch diggers. You don't want to be a ditch digger your whole life do you? :)

renkinjutsu
October 7th, 2009, 07:04 PM
no *nix for you, until you're done ;)

Danny Dubya
October 7th, 2009, 07:07 PM
It's like pressing snooze on your alarm clock

just suck it up and get up
Potentially helpful, but generally poor answer. You must keep your mind clear and evaluate what it is you are attached to that's preventing you from doing your work right now, as they jump into your mind. Are those things of any real significance? Might they really be having a negative effect on you?

Getting mad at yourself over this is a good start, but harmful in the long run and not a solution. The solution is calmly observing yourself and rooting out habits and thoughts you recognize to be negative because of the pain they cause you, which previously you tried to get rid of by giving in to them, and experience the freedom of living a focused life where you no longer constantly feel like doing things that waste time and energy. Also, along with this, continue to keep in mind what will happen if you continue to procrastinate.

tuahaa
October 8th, 2009, 04:04 PM
mkay I'm gonna get on with my work but I'm tired as hell because of soccer. Atleast I don't have to energy to get distracted...

subgenii
October 8th, 2009, 04:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1WC6hNTONg

AlexanderDGreat
October 8th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Hey man, look up Eben Pagan, Wake Up Productive Program on the Internet.

CJ Master
October 8th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Whatever you do, don't go to TVTropes. ;)

LowSky
October 8th, 2009, 05:55 PM
If you wait til the last minute, it will only take a minute.
The motto I live by.

You're in Junior high? how much work are they really giving you?
I remember 7-9 grade being a cake walk. Things didn't get hard until 10-11 and senior year was basically a breeze.

dhysk
October 8th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Ok, here is my thing. I've been a LONG time procrastinator. I'm even a pro,some would say. It's not all bad threw out the years I have learned excellent time management skills and when it comes to crunch time I know how to get stuff done.

I'm 28 yrs old, military, and just recently started going back to school. After a year and a half of college I'm finally starting to do the home work when I get it. The trick was I talked myself into thinking it was last minute. With a full time job, 3 kids, and the ever looming deployments everything is LAST minute. However after a couple months of just doing it I realized how relaxing it is to have it done early and be able to **** off the rest of the time.

Short version: At some point you just have to grow up, took me almost 30 years, and get it done. Once you do it for awhile it will be almost as second nature as it was to put it off.

kavon89
October 8th, 2009, 06:42 PM
Just set yourself up to only work on your assignment and keep working to get it done.

(Of course this is easier said than done, so I make use of the wireless on/off switch :) )

Dragonbite
October 8th, 2009, 06:44 PM
If it weren't for the last minute, nothing would get done.

Eisenwinter
October 8th, 2009, 07:26 PM
I suggest you quit school.

rudihawk
October 8th, 2009, 08:09 PM
I am studying Civil Engineering and had the same problem. Except my problem was playing too much TF2. So i know this might be a bit drastic, but I took my windows HDD out of my PC (my case has thumb screws and the HDD's are on little rails so its easy to take them out). Then put the HDD in my cupboard.

I also wrote a list of things that I want to change etc. I stuck the list next to my bed, and read it every so often to remind myself.

I also do the whole just suck it up and do it thing. The hardest thing is just going to sit down in front of your desk. Once you get there its easy :D

Dimitriid
October 8th, 2009, 08:33 PM
I always had this problem unti I found a college in which I could get excellent grades without ever doing homework or even stepping into class, it was basically cause it was a technical IT degree and I knew everything already so I just showed up for the absolute minimum required classes I needed to be in to be able to take the final test and then I got 90-100 on the tests. The teachers were cool and understood my mentality towards college which was "I'll pay your tuition fee's, you tell future employees you can confirm I know this stuff already"

Great finding since otherwise I would have never gotten any sort of degree or formal education.

lisati
October 8th, 2009, 08:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1WC6hNTONg

I'll watch it another day.

ticopelp
October 8th, 2009, 09:23 PM
I always had this problem unti I found a college in which I could get excellent grades without ever doing homework or even stepping into class, it was basically cause it was a technical IT degree and I knew everything already so I just showed up for the absolute minimum required classes I needed to be in to be able to take the final test and then I got 90-100 on the tests. The teachers were cool and understood my mentality towards college which was "I'll pay your tuition fee's, you tell future employees you can confirm I know this stuff already"

Great finding since otherwise I would have never gotten any sort of degree or formal education.

cool story bro.

tuahaa
October 13th, 2009, 04:01 AM
Part time; I finished all my extra homework as well that was due in a few weeks from now, but I did it so I could eat my corn flakes.:popcorn:

SofaSmarties
October 13th, 2009, 04:40 AM
i dont do home work.
i just do well on tests and get like a 75% in the class
not the best method but it works:P

magmon
October 13th, 2009, 04:57 AM
All you can do is get up and do it. There is no solution, no quick fix. I've found that I can manage time around procrastination, instead of controlling the procrastination itself.

GoHabsGo
October 13th, 2009, 05:15 AM
Fear of failure leads to procrastination.

Many successful people failed before becoming successful because they built a safety net, they didn't fear to fail.

doorknob60
October 13th, 2009, 05:44 AM
Get off Ubuntu Forums and start doing your homework :P

Sand & Mercury
October 13th, 2009, 06:39 AM
http://lithe.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/nike-just-do-it.jpg

hanzomon4
October 13th, 2009, 07:01 AM
I'm the same way... It's bad in high school, but it's suicide in college. Just do it or prepare to have many sleepless nights.

kpholmes
October 13th, 2009, 07:13 AM
http://lithe.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/nike-just-do-it.jpg
hahahaha

wow, i just posted a thread about procrastinating.

i just stay up all night and crank it out. (what ever you have to do)

PurposeOfReason
October 13th, 2009, 07:24 AM
Almost everybody procrastinates. It really just gets down to the point where you tell yourself you can't wait any longer. Either that or it is something you enjoy so you do it right away.

Paqman
October 13th, 2009, 07:39 AM
Any tips on getting on with it?

Make a plan.

I find Remember the Milk is really useful, especially the way it integrates with Google Calendar and my phone. Remember to plan rewards for completing the boring tasks.

A good tip is to just bite the bullet and do the biggest, most boring task first (aka "Eat that frog"). After that everything else seems easy. It's difficult to do, we've all got a natural tendency to procrastinate if we feel like we've got a big job in front of us, but getting rid of it makes you feel a lot better, and can give you the motivation boost you need to power through all the little jobs as well.

bruno9779
October 13th, 2009, 07:41 AM
sudo apt-get remove Slash'em