PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help with installation partitioning

ubuwatson
October 7th, 2009, 02:51 PM
I am familiar with installing Ubuntu, but I am thinking about installing EXT4 this time around - plus as suggested by others I am considering putting my Home directory on a separate partition (any reason not to?). I have read article after article about how to size everything and what to choose, but I am still confused (different answers all over the web) so I am hoping the community could do it for me.

Laptop (is this safe for EXT4 ?)
Hard Drive: 500 gig
Ram 3 Gigs.

What options do I need to choose (filesystem, size) for each partition (swap, etc).

Thanks

zvacet
October 8th, 2009, 09:39 AM
If you think of fresh install first back up all data/files you donīt want to lose.In install options choose manual way and

1. root = 10GB ext4 mountpoint /
2. swap = 1,5-2GB
3.home = rest of free space ext4 mountpoint /home

But put it in this order :root,home,swap

aheckler
October 8th, 2009, 12:31 PM
With 3GB of RAM, I'd only go for 1GB swap, but that's just personal preference I guess.

presence1960
October 8th, 2009, 01:42 PM
With 3GB of RAM, I'd only go for 1GB swap, but that's just personal preference I guess.

if you want to use hibernate you need to make swap the same size as RAM. Because when you hibernate everything you are running is saved from RAM to swap.

pmlxuser
October 8th, 2009, 01:49 PM
with 500GB i would make swap even 4 GB (havent seen my swap in action yet i only have 1GB RAM - but guess because i don't hibernate i prefer shutdown ... yeah no reason yet for this preference)
/ 10 GB reasonable size (havent filled mine with all updates and installtions yet (however if yiou intent to install alot why not make it 20GB

/home 475GB enough....

ubuwatson
October 8th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Thank you all for your help. :KS

ubuwatson
October 8th, 2009, 07:59 PM
after the install i begin receiving kernel panics on boot-up which I have never seen before and I have installed 9.04 on this laptop in the past. i decided to re-install again, this time using the system defaults and ext3. i am not sure whether or not ex4 was the problem, but it leaves me pause for concern.