PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem with sending e-mails via evolution

choallin
October 7th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Hi guy's!!

I have (sometimes) a problem when i want to send an e-mail with evolution. When i'm in an internet-cafe, it doesn't work. I've suggested that it may not work because of a firewall or something like that. But the thing is, i can download torrents, i have no problems to receive mails or if i want to connect with pidgin. Is this a problem of evolution or is something different the reason for this problem?

Thanks a lot
Choallin

Subban
October 7th, 2009, 05:44 PM
If Evolution is configured to use your ISP's email at home, then that is most likely the cause. Most ISP's do not allow you to send email when on a different internet account, such as at the cafe. You would usually be allowed to collect your mail fine from your own ISP, but not send.

choallin
October 9th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Thanks for the answer, but i don't think that this is the problem, because i use evolution for a free webmail account (gmx.de). Gmx uses a normal pop3/smtp server.
Any other ideas?

Subban
October 9th, 2009, 06:14 PM
You said it sometimes happens, does it happen at the internet cafe but not all the time. Or that it sometimes happens at home/other connections and the internet cafe or some other combination.

I wonder if the internet cafe has outgoing smtp mail blocked as a precaution against people spamming from their connection and IP. I think that would be sensible if you are allowing emembers of the public use the connection, maybe.