PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for a Home-Schooled 10 Yr Old

RonnieV
October 7th, 2009, 01:00 PM
I'm building a PC for a 10 year boy who is home-schooled. His mother tells me she would like software included that would help him improve his spelling, math skills (especially multiplication and division), and typing.

I'm familiar with gCompris, TuxMath Command, and TuxType, but I'm concerned they may be geared for younger children. Any thoughts or recommendations regarding others programs that you've used?

xadder
October 7th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Form typing I found klavaro (in the reps) to be very good.

Rich_Roast
October 7th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Perhaps check out Edubuntu (http://edubuntu.org/), even if it's just to browse the package list?

samden
October 7th, 2009, 09:15 PM
One difficulty with computers is that they are generally designed to make it easier for people - automatic spell checkers, calculators etc - which can potentially reduce a child's ability to do these things if you are not careful how you set it up.

Make sure you disable the automatic spell checker (red underlines) in OpenOffice if you want him to have good spelling - show him how to check the spelling as a once-off through the menus instead. And change the default dictionary to real UK English rather than this terrible US stuff. :)

I'd agree to check out Edubuntu.

RonnieV
October 9th, 2009, 03:36 AM
Thx to all above who took a moment to make recommendations. Much appreciated!

RonnieV

OlsenCNC
October 9th, 2009, 05:01 AM
Mnemosyne and Anki spaced repetition systems Memory Reminder is a great to use for Memorization of different answers and questions.

It knows which ones you get to know and which ones you need more help with.

You create your own questions and answers.

To Install:

Go into Add/Remove Applications, switch "Show" to "All Available Applications", Type Mnemosyne in the Search Box and Seclect Mnemosyne to install Mnemosyne.

For more info, see:

http://www.mnemosyne-proj.org/

RonnieV
October 12th, 2009, 11:24 PM
Thank you for that recommendation.