PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] MIssing icons for files and wrong associated programs

Kazune
October 7th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Hello! This is my first post here and I hope you can help me find a solution to the problem I have.
Okay, it started like this..
Yesterday at night I downloaded a .pdf file and wanted to open, but evince gave me an error 'Unable to open document. File type unknown (application/octet-stream) is not supported'. Okay, I thought maybe it was just update and need a restart or something. After that I noticed that my desktop icons are all blank, except for folders. Text files have their text outside of the icon. My only thought then was that after an update I did an hour or more before this happened needs a restart to apply the changes, but since it was late I just turned off my pc. Today I turned it on and... Yeah.. saw the same picture as yesterday (attachment1). I tried to run a program via .desktop file and a window popped up asking what do I want to do (attachment2), this has never happened before. When I clicked 'Run' it opened the .desktop file in gedit (attachment3). And the same goes with all files... .pdf, .jpg and others.. all want to open with 'gedit'... Trying to open them in the right program gives an error... Thought that it maybe a gnome icon problem, changed icons in appearance, didn't work, logged on into KDE, the same there. Purge nautilus and reinstall older version, didn't work too... Programs run fine from the menu, but not from the desktop or other places..

Oh yeah, almost forgot. Yesterday, I change the '/usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/20thirdparty/11-x11-synaptics.fdi' file, to make my touchpad work better, but I doubt it's the reason, I have a backup of the orriginal file.

Using:
Ubuntu Karmic Kaola
Gnome 2.28.0
Compiz, but mostly switched to Metacity with Compiz Fusion Icon.
Video Card: Intel (Don't remember the number)

I'm really happy with Ubuntu on my pc, compared to Windowz... <.< don't even wanna remember that... It's the first error that made me write a post, cause all the previous were either already with a sollution or just needed some thinking to solve.
The reason I switched to Karmic, was that Jaunty had a serious freezing problem on my pc and didn't work good with the Intel video card.

BTW. Sorry for my English ^^'

Kazune
October 7th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Found answer, please delete thread
Answer here -> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1284510

pmlxuser
October 7th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Found answer, please delete thread

if you find solution you mark our thread solved not ask for it to be deleted. it might help another person with same problem. and be kind enough to write how you solve your problem (or at list post a link)

thats the spirit of the forums- finding solutions and helping others find solutions

Kazune
October 7th, 2009, 11:16 AM
if you find solution you mark our thread solved not ask for it to be deleted. it might help another person with same problem. and be kind enough to write how you solve your problem (or at list post a link)

thats the spirit of the forums- finding solutions and helping others find solutions

Okay, okay ^^' sorry for that...
How do I mark it as solved >.> can't find a way to edit the name of the thread..

Found it! ^^'