PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] old dell computer

mysteriousdarren
October 7th, 2009, 06:11 AM
I have a old dell p4 computer and was wondering what I could do with it. I loaded kubuntu on it, with much trouble getting it work. It uses the safe display option(makes things really big), i was wondering what I could use it for. I was considering hooking it up to the internet, and setting it up as a server. I wanted to install a desktop(server) on it to make it more user friendly(command line is not my forte). I was also thinking about setting it up with x10 and making it work with things around the house. I have a seperate computer I could use that for if need be.

Thanks for the Advice

Cheezespread
October 7th, 2009, 06:14 AM
Giving an advice would be easier if you could provide your full system specifications .

aesis05401
October 7th, 2009, 06:39 AM
Hello,

If you do not serve too much local bandwidth it could function as a headless firewall/gateway/router etc.. Are you familiar with netfilter/iptables at all? Do you have a spare nic that you could throw in the box?

Dalek-Sec
October 7th, 2009, 06:57 AM
Definitely verify this before changing installs since I'm a linux noob, but I believe xubuntu (lower system req's?) is better for older machines and might solve some of your installation problems. Command line may not be your forte but a lot of really good applications are only available as command line, not gui. If you find a program that does what you want you most likely can find help and instructions on what you need to enter in the terminal on this forum and you'll pick it up pretty quick from practice. Good luck.

mysteriousdarren
October 29th, 2009, 03:34 AM
I have a large amount of bandwidth so that is not a problem at all. My specs are Intel Pentium 4 Processor 2.66 ghz 512kb cache size. 265 mb memory but gonna replace that to get the max. 333mhz memory speed.
Any more questions please ask...
thanks

P.S. I have used kubuntu several times so i know the benefits, no need to add that. I can stand using the terminal, im fairly comfortable with it.

mysteriousdarren
November 15th, 2009, 06:52 AM
I put kubuntu on the computer, and have used it for download torrents, and used it for BOINC projects. Any other opinions?

paxmark1
November 15th, 2009, 10:46 AM
I had a 2.4 ghz celeron small form factor with 1 gb memory that when doing the alpha and beta candidates for Kubuntu when KDE4 was coming out was totally stretched to the limit via the change to kde4.

You definitely have the hardware for xfce or for going with the ubuntu variant of crunchbang 32 bit with Openbox (very nimble and light).

Since this is for learning, I would avoid 9.10 at this time until things settle down.

rtorrent is nice cli bittorrent, you will have to edit the ~/.rtorrent.rc for optimal usage

As mentioned a 2nd nic and you have a firewall, server, etc.