PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] is it iso or not???

jimbo160
October 7th, 2009, 05:31 AM
lost here.....while the ubuntu 9.04 was downloading, i saw the words, iso at the top identifying download, and after download was complete, i rebooted. did not do as instructions say, offered to boot to windows, or ubuntu, or downloading anything else, it went to windows. i located a ubuntu file in my "c" drive, with disk, insta, and boot files there. there was nothing there to tell me these were iso files. i spent all day with this, downloading it 2 times, thinking i had messed something up, and tonight trying to make heads or tails of something to look for in order to get ubuntu. can someone assist me with where to look? i would appreciate the help.

Cheezespread
October 7th, 2009, 05:57 AM
lost here.....while the ubuntu 9.04 was downloading, i saw the words, iso at the top identifying download, and after download was complete, i rebooted. did not do as instructions say, offered to boot to windows, or ubuntu, or downloading anything else, it went to windows. i located a ubuntu file in my "c" drive, with disk, insta, and boot files there. there was nothing there to tell me these were iso files. i spent all day with this, downloading it 2 times, thinking i had messed something up, and tonight trying to make heads or tails of something to look for in order to get ubuntu. can someone assist me with where to look? i would appreciate the help.

Try this link - http://releases.ubuntu.com/9.04/ubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386.iso

I didn't understand the " offered to boot to windows, or ubuntu" part . Have you installed it already ?

jimbo160
October 7th, 2009, 06:15 AM
http://wubi-installer.org/images/download-button.jpg (http://wubi-installer.org/latest.php)
Wubi is Simple

No need to burn a CD. Just run the installer, enter a password for the new account, and click "Install", go grab a coffee, and when you are back, Ubuntu will be ready for you.

Wubi is Safe

You keep Windows as it is, Wubi only adds an extra option to boot into Ubuntu. Wubi does not require you to modify the partitions of your PC, or to use a different bootloader, and does not install special drivers. It works just like any other application. Wubi is free of spyware and malware, and being open source, anyone can verify that.

Wubi is Discrete

Wubi keeps most of the files in one folder, and if you do not like it, you can simply uninstall it as any other application.............this is some of the wording i saw. i downloaded, and that was as far as it got. as far as installing, i thought this was going to do that, but it did not. am confused about the whole mess. will work again tomorrow. i downloaded it 2 times, useing over 1500 MBs of my bandwith, and 7 hours to do them, but no closer than i was this morning. thanks a lot, Jimmy

Cheezespread
October 7th, 2009, 06:34 AM
Oh , should have understood. My bad. Wubi works like any other programme you install in Windows and you will have Ubuntu as a programme ; but access it as an OS.

I dont think it has an ISO image. A .exe infact.

Hope someone else can help you better since I don't have any experience using WUBI. Apologies.