PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Error with update manager

skewer_
October 7th, 2009, 05:05 AM
i need help resolving a problem with my update manager. i was trying to update some pakages using terminal and this is the error i get:

" An unresolvable problem occurred while initializing the package information.

Please report this bug against the 'update-manager' package and include the following error message:

'E:Type '“deb' is not known on line 57 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list, E:The list of sources could not be read.' "

is there any way to reset or restore my system to about a week ago? i appreciate the help

dominiquec
October 7th, 2009, 05:26 AM
Possibly an error with your /etc/apt/sources.list file. If you have Synaptic (as I expect you would), fire it up and reset the repositories from there. I suggest you take out any third-party repositories first. Hit reload and try again.

skewer_
October 8th, 2009, 12:55 AM
update manager is not loading so is synaptic ... is there any other way to uninstall third party programs?

dominiquec
October 8th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Please check this thread to see if it helps you: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=445843

I would tend to think at this point that you have a corrupted /etc/apt/sources.list file. Can you post the contents of the file here?

skewer_
October 14th, 2009, 01:19 AM
thanx dominique... everything is working great