PDA

View Full Version : Why does Ubuntu ship with wifi capability?

3rdalbum
October 7th, 2009, 02:43 AM
Wifi is patented technology; it's patented by the CSIRO. Over the last couple of years they've been suing all sorts of computer manufacturers for incorporating wifi chips that have merely been bought from chipset manufacturers such as Atheros and Broadcom.

Think about it: If Dell can get sued for selling products with another vendor's wifi chipset, then the next target could be the local computer store, because they sell wifi routers.

So why does Ubuntu ship with Wifi support? It's legally dangerous, and it goes against the "no patented technology" policy of Ubuntu.

More information about the lawsuits:

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/142482,more-giants-buckle-in-csiro-wi-fi-patent-case.aspx

http://www.australianit.news.com.au/story/0,24897,20792277-15319,00.html

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/04/02/2533416.htm

snowpine
October 7th, 2009, 02:51 AM
Ubuntu's policy is plain and clear: all "restricted" software is labelled as such. Individual users can decide whether or not to use restricted drivers/firmware/codec/etc based on the law in their jurisdiction.

It is a good compromise between idealism (Debian for example) and the needs of the end users (who demand wifi capability).

Mehall
October 7th, 2009, 02:52 AM
WiFi, or the standards we know as WiFi, a/b/g and n, are all open standards, and people are free to implement it how they will.

I believe, though I may be wrong, that it is only certain implementations of the WiFi spec which are patented. (damn patent trolls)

also: If they could sue anyone, they would be suing MSFT, who also have WiFi drivers included in the latest Windows products.

Certainly they have more than Ubuntu, which only contains FOSS implementation drivers by default.

Sean Moran
October 7th, 2009, 02:52 AM
Thanks. I didn't know that until you mentioned it.

The only answer that comes to mind is that the wifi mentioned might apply to hardware and not software, but that's what lawyers are for. Karmic works okay from here without wi-fi but the modem that the ISP supplied to my Mother uses wi-fi as far as I know, and I think she relies on their lawyers to work out how to run the cables from the exchange to her modem - and to the laptop too, of course.

3rdalbum
October 7th, 2009, 02:56 AM
also: If they could sue anyone, they would be suing MSFT, who also have WiFi drivers included in the latest Windows products.

Microsoft is one of the companies being sued.

-grubby
October 7th, 2009, 02:59 AM
Why don't they wait until something actually happens before panicing?

Giant Speck
October 7th, 2009, 03:01 AM
Why don't they wait until something actually happens before panicing?

Because that's not how the world works.

-grubby
October 7th, 2009, 03:03 AM

Mind enlightening me then?

tubezninja
October 7th, 2009, 03:05 AM

Perhaps, but if you're really that concerned, you can remove the Wifi components in ubuntu and just go on with your bad, wired self and not have to worry about ZOMG LAWSUITS. That is, if you actually enjoy cutting off your nose to spite your face...

Sean Moran
October 7th, 2009, 03:05 AM
ROTF! In this world it's more likely to hold off on the panic until after it has happened.
:lolflag:

zmjjmz
October 7th, 2009, 03:13 AM
Reading the actual patent, they're talking about operating in excess of 10GHz. Wifi really only runs at 2.4GHz...

Giant Speck
October 7th, 2009, 03:20 AM
Mind enlightening me then?

The world runs on panic.

Think about it. We drive the economy into the ground by worrying that the economy might not be as good as it used to be. We cause panic by worrying that every time we are sick it is SARS, avian flu, or swine flu.

Paqman
October 7th, 2009, 03:22 AM
It's legally dangerous

No it isn't.

The CSIRO holds a patent for component of IEEE 802.11, but the standard itself is an open one. There was some deal reached between CSIRO and a number of key OEMs a while back, but the actual deal has never been published.

The issue is settled, use of IEEE 802.11 is not legally risky.

KiwiNZ
October 7th, 2009, 03:28 AM
The world runs on panic.

Think about it. We drive the economy into the ground by worrying that the economy might not be as good as it used to be. We cause panic by worrying that every time we are sick it is SARS, avian flu, or swine flu.

Good point

A past Prime Minister of ours correctly likened Financial Market people as being like and bunch of "demented Reef Fish".
They start a rumor and then believe their own rumor and panic and forget a second later they started the rumor.

lovinglinux
October 7th, 2009, 04:14 AM
Good point

A past Prime Minister of ours correctly likened Financial Market people as being like and bunch of "demented Reef Fish".
They start a rumor and then believe their own rumor and panic and forget a second later they started the rumor.

:lolflag:

Chronon
October 7th, 2009, 04:30 AM
Here's an article mentioning the settlement between CSIRO and all parties it sued: http://wifinetnews.com/archives/2009/04/wi-fi_patent_cases_settled.html

It appears that the patents are hardware related rather than software related. All of the parties named in the lawsuits appear to have been OEMs. If you buy a wifi capable device then it's the manufacturer's (OEM's) responsibility to pay for licensing fees (similar to how producers of MP3 players have to pay licensing fees for MP3 technology).