PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help downloading

kirbyfan101
October 7th, 2009, 02:07 AM
agggggggg i need help i downloaded the CD drive at http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download)
I have WindowsXP I put the .iso file on a disk and loaded it
it didnt work
Thanks

~kirbyfan101

friv_livs
October 7th, 2009, 02:19 AM
Which version of ubuntu were you downloading?

What are you trying to boot to? Live run or install?

Did you check the md5sum before you burned the .iso?

Please be specific with your posts if you want help.

mick55
October 7th, 2009, 02:21 AM
hi

You can't just "put the iso on a disk."

The ISO is an image file and has to be burned to CD
as such.

Most CD burning software has an option for burning image files.

Or you could download this tiny program specifically designed
to burn images.

http://filehippo.com/download_imgburn/

Image burn works with DVD ISO also, it's a great program.

cheers
mick

kirbyfan101
October 7th, 2009, 03:19 AM
I used InfraRecorder

Which version of ubuntu were you downloading?

What are you trying to boot to? Live run or install?

Did you check the md5sum before you burned the .iso?

I was using the latest, 9.10
i don't know what that means
i don't know what that means

friv_livs
October 7th, 2009, 06:27 AM
run live means selecting "Try ubuntu without any changes to your computer" when the disk runs in the drive after restarting.

Install means selecting "install ubuntu" when the disk runs in the drive after restarting.

google "koala md5sum"

donato roque
October 7th, 2009, 12:24 PM
@ kirbyfan101
I am assuming this is your first Ubuntu install, maybe even your first Linux install?, I strongly advice that you install the latest *stable* version and that's Ubuntu 9.04.
Ubuntu 9.10 is still in beta. What that means is if you install this version you have to troubleshoot any bugs yourself-and there will be bugs. If you go and install this version please use a secondary machine or back up any data. I would advice against installing it in your "everyday" machine.

Bartender
October 7th, 2009, 03:02 PM
donato brings up a very good point. I don't know why so many people are trying 9.10 before it's even released, but look back over the last week and notice all the "I can't get 9.10 to work" posts.

Start up Windows. Pop the CD in the drive. Ask Windows to "Explore" the CD. Is there one big file? Or do you see several folders and a handful of files?

If you see one big file you burned the download incorrectly and must do as mick55 suggests or something similar. If you see several folders and files then you at least converted the download to a bootable CD. That doesn't mean it's a "good" CD. If you burned it at ludicrous speed it's probly got errors.

Once you have a good CD you must boot the PC from that CD. In other words, Windows never starts. Your BIOS must be set up appropriately (or you know which key to tap on to get the "quickboot" screen) so that the PC boots up from the CD. If you're already in Windows, you can't toss the CD in the tray and install it.