PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] downloading ubuntu

jimbo160
October 7th, 2009, 12:54 AM
i am new with this, so, i need help. i downloaded "WUBI ubuntu-9.04", and i see nothing about it installing on my computer. am i missing something, or, is there something else i need to do. my system is HP pavilion Intel (R), celeron(R) cpu 2.70GHz, 1.24GB of ram. i have windows xp home edition. i am wanting to make a dual boot with windows and ubuntu. can anyone explain how to do this?

scragar
October 7th, 2009, 12:55 AM
If you just installed it using the WUBI installer then you should reboot, you'll be given the optiont to boot into ubuntu then.

mikewhatever
October 7th, 2009, 01:59 AM
Here are the step by step instruction to follow https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide. Obviously, just downloading is not enough.

jimbo160
October 7th, 2009, 02:17 AM
well, i chose a user name, pass word, clicked install, and it proceded to download. when it got thru, asked about rebooting now, i did. computer shut down and restarted, but it started in windows. was never given the choice windows, or ubuntu. do i need to put the program on a disc, or something? reading instructions, all i had to do was download, reboot, choose ubuntu, and start useing.
the other post for how to use ubuntu, and all the checks, confuse me. can you give me an exact of what i need to do to install?

linux_tech
October 7th, 2009, 02:38 AM
This may have some useful info for you. Did you click install and then let it install? https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide#Cannot%20boot%20into%20Ubuntu

jimbo160
October 7th, 2009, 02:59 AM
i clicked install, and watched it for over 3 hours, til the end. done all its checking installation, etc, then i rebooted. i have a file in "my computer" c:// drive for ubuntu. this file contains disc, install, winboot, folders, and 2 ubuntu icons. i do not know what to do with them in order to install ubuntu.

jimbo160
October 7th, 2009, 04:03 AM
what information can i provide someone with to help me find out why this thing doesn't do what it is supposed to do??

jimbo160
October 7th, 2009, 05:16 AM
just looking around, when i downloaded ubuntu, it said on the downloading process, iso image, but when it finished, non of the files that were downloaded said iso. what is this?