PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using empathy's video conversation for the MSN network?

sudoer541
October 7th, 2009, 12:49 AM
Anyone using empathy's video conversation on the MSN network?
Does the video and audio work? what about file transfer?
OMG!!! I cant wait to use it!!!

...apppshoooo!!!:(

hoppipolla
October 7th, 2009, 12:52 AM
aww lol no I haven't used it yet - I am mega curious now though O.O

I will have to try this soon...

sudoer541
October 7th, 2009, 12:59 AM
aww lol no I haven't used it yet - I am mega curious now though O.O

I will have to try this soon...

I looked on youtube for any videos regarding empathy video convos for msn and I didnt find anything. I would like to try it myself but I have a slow connection.:(
I also looked on different Linux blog websites and I saw an article that claimed that it was working.

hoppipolla
October 7th, 2009, 01:04 AM
I looked on youtube for any videos regarding empathy video convos for msn and I didnt find anything. I would like to try it myself but I have a slow connection.:(
I also looked on different Linux blog websites and I saw an article that claimed that it was working.

let me try :)

sudoer541
October 7th, 2009, 01:07 AM
let me try :)

Thanks a million! :)

hoppipolla
October 7th, 2009, 01:10 AM
I'm afraid on the version on Karmic Beta it does absolutely nothing ._.

Do I need to install a newer version from a PPA or something?

sudoer541
October 7th, 2009, 01:17 AM
I'm afraid on the version on Karmic Beta it does absolutely nothing ._.

Do I need to install a newer version from a PPA or something?

yes I think thats what I read somewhere. I think the PPA version has the features that we are looking for:). I also read that on ubuntu 9.10 PPAs will be faster and easier to install.
Good luck!

ps: I think there is a PPA repo included with 9.10 but I am not sure.

hoppipolla
October 7th, 2009, 01:21 AM
yes I think thats what I read somewhere. I think the PPA version has the features that we are looking for:). I also read that on ubuntu 9.10 PPAs will be faster and easier to install.
Good luck!

ps: I think there is a PPA repo included with 9.10 but I am not sure.

I'm trying, but it does say on the website the latest version is 2.28.0.1, which is the version I have installed o.O I am very confused lol

Maybe I'm missing a package it needs or something

EDIT -- Ok I think it needs something called "telepathy-butterfly" which I am currently upgrading :)

sudoer541
October 7th, 2009, 01:34 AM
did you try installing telepathy?
here are some information (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2009/09/empathy-msn-video.html) on this blog.

Never mind, ignore this if you got the telepathy package.

hoppipolla
October 7th, 2009, 01:40 AM
did you try installing telepathy?
here are some information (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2009/09/empathy-msn-video.html) on this blog.

Nearly there... nearly there! lol

It almost did it a second ago but then Telepathy-butterfly crashed lol (that's no real surprise at this stage :) )

EDIT -- Nearly.....! lol

hoppipolla
October 7th, 2009, 01:48 AM
Nothing yet... we've had some pretty close ones but they've all failed or crashed in some way ._.

It's not far off though hehe :)

hoppipolla
October 7th, 2009, 01:55 AM
Nope, just a lot of crashes and failed invites :( Sorry

I tried my best, and I'm pretty sure I do have the latest versions of everything that I need.

If anyone else can get anything out of it that's wicked, but for the time being I'm stumped! :)

sudoer541
October 7th, 2009, 01:55 AM
Nothing yet... we've had some pretty close ones but they've all failed or crashed in some way ._.

It's not far off though hehe :)

I would like to give this a try as well but my ubuntu installation is broken almost a month now so I am waiting for the release of 9.10.

sudoer541
October 7th, 2009, 01:57 AM
Nope, just a lot of crashes and failed invites :( Sorry

I tried my best, and I'm pretty sure I do have the latest versions of everything that I need.

If anyone else can get anything out of it that's wicked, but for the time being I'm stumped! :)

Thanks for trying!:), I guess it will be more stable after the release of 9.10.