PDA

View Full Version : I'm worried about my cat.

dragos240
October 7th, 2009, 12:45 AM
My poor cat is skinny to the bone. We feed her, we give her shelter, love, and regular (about every year) vet check ups. She is fed fine, like my other cat, we feed her the same, but she vomits up much of her food, and she has a weak purr, she is very sensitive, and I'm the only one worried. Should I be?

Shibblet
October 7th, 2009, 12:46 AM
How old is she?

I had a 20 year old Siamese that was losing her teeth, required us to pick her up on the counter to feed her, and soft food only.

Unfortunately my friend, we had to put her down.

Take that cat to the vet immediately.

scragar
October 7th, 2009, 12:47 AM
Doesn't sound very good, you should definately get the cat to the vet if she's throwing up every time she eats.

dragos240
October 7th, 2009, 12:48 AM
She is about 4 years of age. She is a mixed breed.

hoppipolla
October 7th, 2009, 12:49 AM
Yeah take her to the vet :)

It could be ok, but just in case yeah? :)

Shibblet
October 7th, 2009, 12:51 AM
She is about 4 years of age. She is a mixed breed.

Yep, might just be a skinny breed. Could be some kind of stomach infection. But none-the-less. It's vet time.

dragos240
October 7th, 2009, 01:09 AM
We're bringing her to the vet. ASAP.

pwnst*r
October 7th, 2009, 01:13 AM
it took a message board to come to that conclusion?

Shibblet
October 7th, 2009, 01:15 AM

I'm sure it didn't. But what's wrong with looking to 'your' community for feedback. Chances are someone on here has a cat with a similar problem.

pwnst*r
October 7th, 2009, 01:17 AM
I'm sure it didn't. But what's wrong with looking to 'your' community for feedback. Chances are someone on here has a cat with a similar problem.

because common sense comes before the internet?

Old_Grey_Wolf
October 7th, 2009, 01:21 AM
My poor cat is skinny to the bone. We feed her, we give her shelter, love, and regular (about every year) vet check ups. She is fed fine, like my other cat, we feed her the same, but she vomits up much of her food, and she has a weak purr, she is very sensitive, and I'm the only one worried. Should I be?

You need to see a Vet. Just a comment from me. I'm in no position to provide medical advice.

Some cats are skinny by nature. I had a Siamese mixed breed that was always shinny. I could see/feel the bones in her spine, and see the shoulder blades when she walked. It was normal for her, and she lived to an old enough age (19+ years).

Has the Vet checked her thyroid? I don't remember the difference between Hyper and Hypo thyroid; however, one can make the cat fat and the other skinny.

PurposeOfReason
October 7th, 2009, 01:24 AM
It's still not as bad as the people who look for medical advice for themselves on the internet.

"Guys, I stepped on a rusty nail and my foot is turning purple. Should I go to the doctor?"

Shibblet
October 7th, 2009, 01:27 AM
because common sense comes before the internet?

Well, clearly.

But what he was probably looking for was someone to say "Oh, that happens, you just need to go buy a different cat food." or something to that effect. Instead of "Go to the vet and spend lots of money."

Like I said to begin with, he knew already to take the cat to the vet.

inobe
October 7th, 2009, 02:20 AM

this is an emotional subject rather than opinionated.

dragos i have one as well, she just gave birth to a litter of four.

she's a striped dragon li.

the problems i noticed, they are prone to parasites like worms, and infectious diseases, these things will cause weight loss.

if you are feeding the feline any type of tables foods be sure they don't contain garlic, onions, even chocolate, shampoos for humans, house plants.

let us know how everything goes dragos.

schauerlich
October 7th, 2009, 02:23 AM
"Guys, I stepped on a rusty nail and my foot is turning purple. Should I go to the doctor?"

I fell down the stairs and there was a crack and a jagged white thing is sticking out of my arm guys is this swine flu?

Giant Speck
October 7th, 2009, 02:26 AM
i fell down the stairs and there was a crack and a jagged white thing is sticking out of my arm guys is this swine flu?

<3

-grubby
October 7th, 2009, 02:26 AM
I fell down the stairs and there was a crack and a jagged white thing is sticking out of my arm guys is this swine flu?

I think so

nmccrina
October 7th, 2009, 02:27 AM
i fell down the stairs and there was a crack and a jagged white thing is sticking out of my arm guys is this swine flu?

omg roflmao lol lol lol!!!

That sounds like it's from an xkcd, I forget which one. Really funny!

Shibblet
October 7th, 2009, 02:30 AM
the problems i noticed, they are prone to parasites like worms, and infectious diseases, these things will cause weight loss.

if you are feeding the feline any type of tables foods be sure they don't contain garlic, onions, even chocolate, shampoos for humans, house plants.

Thanks for proving my point. ;)

schauerlich
October 7th, 2009, 02:31 AM
omg roflmao lol lol lol!!!

That sounds like it's from an xkcd, I forget which one. Really funny!

http://xkcd.com/574/

chucky chuckaluck
October 7th, 2009, 02:46 AM
Has the Vet checked her thyroid? I don't remember the difference between Hyper and Hypo thyroid; however, one can make the cat fat and the other skinny.

+1 for the thyroid angle. it's not something vets typically check for in young cats, i don't think. (it is part of the geriatric panel they do, as far as i know.)

inobe
October 7th, 2009, 02:51 AM
Thanks for proving my point. ;)

your welcome, cats can be unpredictable, in fact very strange, they can fall three stories and land on their paws and just walk away as if nothing happened, witnessed one hit by a car, the tire rode over it, it walk away.

it's a shame that their stomachs would disagree to some types of food for an extraordinary species.

Giant Speck
October 7th, 2009, 02:52 AM
http://xkcd.com/574/

Giant Speck: ~late | EDavidBurg
Lawnbot: EDavidBurg: Are you everyone?

Megrimn
October 7th, 2009, 03:12 AM
let us know how it turns out

dhysk
October 7th, 2009, 03:13 AM
I'd take it to the vet, If its just getting old you have one of 2 choices. Watch it die slowly or give it a .40 Cal pill. I love animals but they are still just animals. Maybe thats just the country in me though.

pwnst*r
October 7th, 2009, 03:33 AM
It's still not as bad as the people who look for medical advice for themselves on the internet.

this is true.

wilee-nilee
October 7th, 2009, 03:50 AM
+1 for the thyroid angle. it's not something vets typically check for in young cats, i don't think. (it is part of the geriatric panel they do, as far as i know.)

Of course going to the vet is the correct thing to do. I have a cat 15yrs old he has an enlarged heart and a Hyperthyroid condition, the meds for the thyroid condition have done wonders. Also ask the vet about a famotidine (pepcid ac) treatment, do not use this without a veterinary consultation. When cats vomit often or any of us it will cause problems in the throat, and esophagus. My vet was able to diagnose the thyroid problem by palpitating the thyroid and a fairly cheap blood test.

schauerlich
October 7th, 2009, 05:21 AM
Giant Speck: ~late | EDavidBurg
Lawnbot: EDavidBurg: Are you everyone?

Someone asked what xkcd it was from. I'm well aware of its lateness. I just thought it fit in context.

Also, no you.

Frak
October 7th, 2009, 05:30 AM
To be safe, you might want to lick an Autistic kid.

Tristam Green
October 7th, 2009, 02:00 PM

I got really sick last night, and this morning when I went to the doctor, I got as far as the doctor's office before I walked out. The nurse asked me what was wrong, and I asked her "how dare the doctor stifle *my* freedom by using a Windows computer. GNU or GTFO."

LowSky
October 7th, 2009, 02:36 PM
I got really sick last night, and this morning when I went to the doctor, I got as far as the doctor's office before I walked out. The nurse asked me what was wrong, and I asked her "how dare the doctor stifle *my* freedom by using a Windows computer. GNU or GTFO."

I'm sure you did....

RiceMonster
October 7th, 2009, 02:40 PM
I'm sure you did....

It was obviously a joke

-grubby
October 7th, 2009, 02:45 PM
it was obviously a joke

but it was offensive!!!!!!!!11

Tristam Green
October 7th, 2009, 02:48 PM
I'm sure you did....

The good news is that my new pacemaker has an uptime of seven days, four hours, and 32 minutes.

In all seriousness, I question why you would ask *us* if we think something's wrong with your cat.

About the only response I'd expect is the same one we'd give about installing Linux on a toaster.

I hope your cat is ok.

kevdog
October 7th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Furrballs I say -- that's what it is!!! That or global warming -- that causes everything!

Tristam Green
October 7th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Furrballs I say -- that's what it is!!! That or global warming -- that causes everything!

You got it backwards. Everything causes global warming and cancer.

Shibblet
October 8th, 2009, 01:03 AM
Hey! Do we get an update on Mittens? Or whatever your cat's name is?

dragos240
October 8th, 2009, 01:09 AM
Yeah, my dad is ignoring it. Acting as if it doesn't exist. Hopefully my step-mom can get this vet trip arranged. My cat has not done any vomiting yet, but it'll come back.

ikisham
October 8th, 2009, 01:36 AM
Cat's are physically very sensitive to the ambient. By the way you describe your people they don't pay much attention to their physical/psychic impact (or to animals - which is the same thing). Take care of her. Don't overfeed her, rather seek a well balanced diet, home-made as much as possible. And inwardly being aware of the little sister gifts (which are different than ours but unique) will help bring the light/life from within her.
Taking her to the vet may be a consequence of your caring. The latter is what counts.

Nevon
October 8th, 2009, 07:50 AM
Yeah, my dad is ignoring it. Acting as if it doesn't exist. Hopefully my step-mom can get this vet trip arranged. My cat has not done any vomiting yet, but it'll come back.

Have you checked him/her for worms yet? That's a very simple thing to do, and it's the cause of stomach problems with many cats.

bodyharvester
October 8th, 2009, 09:04 AM

:shock:
kick...his...head...in :p, thats what id do. my cat's just round, not fat exactly but when he sits up he is kinda pear shaped, y'know?

id suspect an infection, i dunno if worms cause any vomiting

JillSwift
October 8th, 2009, 09:40 AM
It could be a mild grain allergy. Wheat and corn allergies are not unusual with cats and dogs. Check the ingredients of the food you feed the kitteh, if corn and/or wheat are high on the list, you may want to consider getting a higher quality food (http://www.naturapet.com/). Grocery store pet foods are pretty bottom of the barrel. Grains are nutritionally empty for dogs and cats anyway.

To check to see if the cat is thin as in unhealthy, see if you can easily feel his or her ribs. With firm petting pressure you should not feel definite ribs.

dragos240
October 9th, 2009, 12:35 AM
It could be a mild grain allergy. Wheat and corn allergies are not unusual with cats and dogs. Check the ingredients of the food you feed the kitteh, if corn and/or wheat are high on the list, you may want to consider getting a higher quality food (http://www.naturapet.com/). Grocery store pet foods are pretty bottom of the barrel. Grains are nutritionally empty for dogs and cats anyway.

To check to see if the cat is thin as in unhealthy, see if you can easily feel his or her ribs. With firm petting pressure you should not feel definite ribs.

I can feel her ribs. Easily.

starcannon
October 9th, 2009, 12:49 AM
As stated earlier, check for worms. It's rather nasty, but the easiest way is to to pick through the scat (http://www.howtodothings.com/pets-and-animals/a2853-how-to-identify-and-treat-feline-worms.html), if there are tapeworms (http://cdn-write.demandstudios.com/upload//2000/100/90/3/32193.jpg), a Veterinarian is the best person for your Cat to see next. If a Vet is not available for what ever reason, then there are several over the counter treatments available at the pet store. Be careful when administering them; the treatments generally poison the worm, the poison also makes the animal feel sick, which can be a bad situation on an already weakened animal.

I hope everything turns out okay,
~Starcannon

Shibblet
October 9th, 2009, 01:05 AM
I'm no vet, but it does sound like worms. Throwing up, and really skinny.

And only semi off-topic. Has anyone seen this ad?

http://pzrservices.typepad.com/vintageadvertising/images/2007/06/23/tapeworms.jpg

dragos240
October 9th, 2009, 01:06 AM
Well THAT's a smart idea.

juancarlospaco
October 9th, 2009, 01:17 AM
I think that the Vet may install Updates on the cat,
but watch for Viruses and Worms on that System too.

LookTJ
October 9th, 2009, 01:45 AM
My sister works at a vet, I could ask her if you want me to?

dragos240
October 9th, 2009, 01:47 AM
Nah. I think my dad can be convinced. We took her to the vets about a season ago (3 months), she was fine then. But still.....

LookTJ
October 9th, 2009, 02:03 AM
Nah. I think my dad can be convinced. We took her to the vets about a season ago (3 months), she was fine then. But still.....
Okay, that's cool. Hope your cat situation gets better.