PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] motherboard built in graphics driver

brain frog
October 6th, 2009, 11:03 PM
Hello

I am still getting used to linux and if i am correct in linux it is called kernel not drivers, i am sure someone will tell me if i am wrong.

I am trying out linux using an old pc and sofar i am very much liking linux and am still learning, my latest issue is graphics i am currently using this motherboard http://www.e4allupgraders.info/dir1/motherboards/socket754/msi6741.shtml the system consists of that motherboard 1 gb of ram can run at 400 but only seems to be at 333, might need bios update its a good time to try pulling one off for the first time a amd 64 single core 3400+ and a very old 40gb hard drive.

I have not added any hardware drivers/kernel i clearly need some for its visuals as its very poor at times, i cant find any sign of any linux support for this mobo.

Can anyone help me out or is my system already using it to its full graphics potential?

Thanks

lindsay7
October 6th, 2009, 11:55 PM
Have you look at System/Administration/Hardware Drivers? This is where you would find out what drivers you may setup for your system.

You may want to look for a cheap video pci or agp card to add to this system. You could try ebay or newegg or tiger direct.

ghostborg
October 7th, 2009, 12:44 AM
After "Hardware Drivers" as above check Preferences>Appearance>Visual Effects tab click on normal or Extra effects. Then install through synaptic package manager, compizconfig-settings-manager to tweak your compiz desktop.:guitar:

brain frog
October 8th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Hardware Drivers was empty no options and nothing in there.

I also attempted slotting in an old ati 9250 with a passive heatsink, it seemed faster but it was evident that drivers were needed but still Hardware Drivers had nothing in it.

What would be the best way to proceed?

Thanks

Mark Phelps
October 10th, 2009, 11:46 PM
Your ATI card didn't help because it's too old for the ATI drivers that run with Ubuntu 9.04 and newer. As afar as I know, the only restricted video drivers are for ATI and Nividia cards. Since your mobo uses integrated Via graphics, you are stuck with the graphics driver installed by default.