PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] rhythmbox 9.10 mp3

fields2grand
October 6th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Hey Yall
I've posted here a couple times before and got great support so I thought after my two day quest to get this to work I would ask for your help.

My Rhythmbox won't play my music anymore after upgrading to 9.10. The great part about 9.10 is all my sound features work now without any work. Even the keyboard shortcuts to volume up and down and mute work now! Great news. The problem is that now Rhythmbox won't play any of my music. Let me tell you what I have done so far to try to fix the problem.

I've gone into Synaptic and reenabled a repository called "main restricted universe multiverse". I also followed the script from Medibuntu to reinstall the repository and followed their directions to update. I've sudo apt-get update and everything updated. I've installed the gstreamer plugins including the ones that gave me troubles in the past. I've also done the script to download restricted extras.

SO when I try to play a song in Rhythmbox it says it doesn't have the necessary plugins to play the song and give me a GStreamer element autoaudiosink as the requested plugin but cannot find it.
I'm not sure if this will help but Flash video as well as VLC player plays audio fine. I've spent quite a lot of time on this and can't get Rhythmbox to play my audio. I'm sure some of you knowledgeable people can help a noob out with this. I installed Jaunty about 2 months ago cold turkey from windows and haven't looked back. This forum is the only reason why I haven't gone back to Windows. It can be tricky sometimes but your help makes it much better. Thanks EVERYONE for responding and helping me with this issue. I will check this post regularly until the problem is fixed.

jmwink
October 6th, 2009, 10:41 PM
I'm not sure that I have helpful suggestions, but I have a question that might be helpful:

Will Rhythmbox play music that is encoded in a format other than MP3 such as ogg or FLAC?

fields2grand
October 6th, 2009, 10:46 PM
I'm sorry Jmwink but the only audio I have is mp3. I dont have any ogg or flac. I USED to until my windows machine flatlined and now i'm starting my media collection from scratch with Ubuntu. Unfortunately I don't have those formats but maybe down the road someone will look at this post and want to know what your suggestion is who may have ogg or flac files.

I feel like I've updated and reinitiated so many files that I've gotten lost in the mix somewhere and don't know where I have or have not been. I install something and logout and back in and forget what I did three steps ago. I'm not sure EXACTLY what I've done and what I haven't done. It's semi frustrating. I used to troubleshoot software and hardware problems working for the geek squad (please no flames) and this linux stuff is getting the best of me for sure.

Xupit3r
October 6th, 2009, 11:49 PM
jmwink, I am sure you have already discovered this, but Rhythmbox certainly does play .ogg and .flac file. As a matter of fact, it is less of a hassle dealing purely with those file types as Rhythmbox plays them out of the box.

fields2grand
October 7th, 2009, 12:12 AM
jmwink, I am sure you have already discovered this, but Rhythmbox certainly does play .ogg and .flac file. As a matter of fact, it is less of a hassle dealing purely with those file types as Rhythmbox plays them out of the box.

Do you have a suggestion Xupit3r? I just uninstalled and reinstalled Rhythmbox but it still asks for the "GStreamer element autoaudiosink" plugin. Thank you!

bshosey
October 7th, 2009, 12:23 AM
go to synaptic and search for gstreamer bad and ugly and if installed remove. Then reinstall them. My have to restart computer.

fields2grand
October 7th, 2009, 01:24 AM
Ok, I just did that and it didn't work. Rhythmbox is still asking for the GStreamer element autoaudiosink plugin.

bshosey
October 7th, 2009, 02:36 AM
OK. Try reinstalling GStreamer Good Plugins

fields2grand
October 7th, 2009, 03:14 AM
Ok I reinstalled the good plugins and that didn't work either. I installed Amarok and it won't play audio either. Thanks for helping.

bshosey
October 7th, 2009, 03:16 AM
are you still getting the error? and does it not play any audio?

bshosey
October 7th, 2009, 03:21 AM
OK let try this. type gstreamer-properties in terminal. for audio choose pulse audio

fields2grand
October 7th, 2009, 03:26 AM
Ok I changed to Pulse Audio and I'm still having the same problem

Yes I'm still getting the same error. Flash in Firefox audio works fine. I just can't play any of my mp3's. Thanks for the help!

bshosey
October 7th, 2009, 03:30 AM
Also make sure you have gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio installed.

bshosey
October 7th, 2009, 03:31 AM
try to open mp3 in totem ( video player ) and see if you get the same error.

fields2grand
October 7th, 2009, 03:37 AM
Yeah it worked in movie player! So how do I transform that to rhythmbox or amarok? THANKS FOR THE HELP!

bshosey
October 7th, 2009, 03:39 AM
OK. Then I would not think it is a gstreamer issue. Totem uses gstreamer. OK. try this type this in the terminal

sudo apt-get remove rhythmbox

then type this.

sudo apt-get install rhythmbox

fields2grand
October 7th, 2009, 03:45 AM
Ok I uninstalled rythmbox and reinstalled. still no change. Audio files are still playing in totem though.

I would like to mention that I'm logging off and back on after every suggestion. I don't know if I'm supposed to.

bshosey
October 7th, 2009, 03:46 AM
OK. try this

sudo apt-get remove --purge rhythmbox

then

sudo apt-get install rhythmbox

fields2grand
October 7th, 2009, 03:50 AM
Ok I did the purge uninstall and it was still a no go. Neither Amarok or Rhythmbox worked but totem still does.

bshosey
October 7th, 2009, 03:53 AM
OK. I am looking at something else. Don't give up.

fields2grand
October 7th, 2009, 03:54 AM
Oh believe me I am not going to give up as long as you are here. I really appreciate the help.

bshosey
October 7th, 2009, 04:05 AM
OK. this is a long shot. type this in terminal
gconf-editor

then navigate to /system/gstreamer/0.10/audio/global

in there make sure then right click on the key and make sure mp3 is listed.

fields2grand
October 7th, 2009, 04:10 AM
Yup mp3 is listed.

bshosey
October 7th, 2009, 04:14 AM
OK in rhythmbox if you go to preferences do and click on the music tab in the preferred format can you choose mp3?

fields2grand
October 7th, 2009, 04:16 AM
Yes I can. I selected it but it still doesnt play.

bshosey
October 7th, 2009, 04:22 AM
make sure libtag1-vanilla is installed.

fields2grand
October 7th, 2009, 04:25 AM
Yup it was installed. I just reinstalled it.

bshosey
October 7th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Sorry I lost internet connection and it was late. I will try to think up some stuff to help. Sorry I was not much help last night.

bshosey
October 7th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Try running this command and the restart the computer

gst-register

fields2grand
October 7th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Thanks for coming back. I thought you had gone. I tried your command but it's not found.

bshosey
October 7th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Well I am at work now. When I get some free time I will look some more.

fields2grand
October 7th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Well Bshosey we may have found a solution. I can't get rhythmbox to work but Amarok now plays mp3 after doing this http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ubuntu-help/106850amarok-wont-play-mp3.html It suggests installing libxine1-ffmpeg via synaptic. That made Amarok play mp3's. Which is great news. Looks like I might be an Amarok user from now on! You Bshosey have been a great help and are the reason why people don't throw their installs out the window and go back to windows. Thank you very much.

bshosey
October 7th, 2009, 04:05 PM
I bet if you did a new install not an upgrade that would work. But I do not want to recommend that because this should be an easy fix. I will continue to research this problem. Amarok is probably the best sound player for KDE. But I would prefer rhythmbox just because of gnome. Nothing wrong with Amarok. I just prefer gnome. Nothing wrong with KDE either.

bshosey
October 7th, 2009, 04:29 PM
OK got an idea go to ubuntu software center and search for pulse. install PulseAudio Volume Control.

reboot computer and try to play the mp3.

bshosey
October 7th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Also make sure gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg is installed.

andi666
October 7th, 2009, 09:15 PM
I had the same problem with two user accounts on my system after updating to ubuntu 9.10 beta. Fixed it by deleting gstreamers settings for each user. I dont know if it was neccessery but I did it in an xterm and not a gnome session, and then relogged into a gnome session.

rm -rf ~/.gconf/system/gstreamer
rm -rf ~/.gstreamer-0.10

bshosey
October 7th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Interesting. I do not have those directories on my 9.10 install but mine is not an upgrade. Good ketch. I hope this works for him.

andi666
October 7th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Are you sure?
They were even newly created for each user after deleting the directories and logging in a gnome session.

in my previous post I forgot to mention that they exist in each users home directory

~/.gconf/system/gstreamer
~/.gstreamer-0.10

bshosey
October 7th, 2009, 11:34 PM
/home/bshosey/.gconf/system/gstreamer/0.10
/home/bshosey/.gstreamer-0.10

I do have these. I must have miss read or typed. Sorry you where right. I really hope that fixes his issue. I would hate for him to have to be forced to use Amarok. Now if he wants to use that then that is great. But if he does not it would be sad. Thanks for helping us resolve this issue for him.

I thought it was odd that he could play them in totem. Inless he has totem-xine installed.

fields2grand
October 9th, 2009, 10:05 PM
I had the same problem with two user accounts on my system after updating to ubuntu 9.10 beta. Fixed it by deleting gstreamers settings for each user. I dont know if it was neccessery but I did it in an xterm and not a gnome session, and then relogged into a gnome session.

rm -rf ~/.gstreamer-0.10

I don't know what it means to run it in xterm and not gnome. Can you elaborate? Also, I can not find these files.

fields2grand
October 9th, 2009, 10:07 PM
BShosey I installed Pulse audio volume control. Didn't work and gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg is installed. Thanks for the help!

bshosey
October 10th, 2009, 03:53 PM
To delete the file just go to Click on Places. Then click on Home Folder, Then click on View, then put a check mark in Show Hidden Files. Then you will be able to find the files.

xterm is Command Line. Click on Applications, Accessories, Terminal. That will get you in the command line.

fields2grand
October 10th, 2009, 10:03 PM
LOL! I deleted .gstreamer-0.10 out of my home folder after enabling hidden files. Restarted and now rhythmbox plays mp3s! thanks alot guys! Hopefully this thread will help others!

bshosey
October 10th, 2009, 10:06 PM
I am glad it worked!

johnyhoffman
October 19th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Thanks for doing the work here guys. Had identical problems and after about 10 minutes of google mining came up with this gem! Thanks again!

The Thug
October 26th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Music was playing perfectly in Songbird but wouldn't in Rythymbox.

After removing the necessary files/directories I have it now working.

Thanks for the help.

sleepynate
November 1st, 2009, 10:16 PM
andi, thank you kindly for your suggestion. I can confirm this worked for me (aplay would produce sound, nothing in the gstreamer->pulseaudio pipeline would.)

tjpoe
November 2nd, 2009, 07:38 PM
Are you sure?
They were even newly created for each user after deleting the directories and logging in a gnome session.

in my previous post I forgot to mention that they exist in each users home directory

~/.gconf/system/gstreamer
~/.gstreamer-0.10

This worked great for me. thanks.

Alienhunter2010
November 3rd, 2009, 12:26 AM

rm -rf ~/.gstreamer-0.10

It works for me too! Thanks to all, guys!

Karmic Koala R.O.C.K.S.!

gigaforce1111
November 4th, 2009, 03:12 PM
It works for me too! Thanks to all, guys!

Karmic Koala R.O.C.K.S.!
I upgraded from 9.04 and had the same problem.
It worked for me also!!!
BTW you can install Gstreamer later it still works.

yasitya
November 14th, 2009, 01:23 AM
Originally Posted by andi666 http://www.uluga.ubuntuforums.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.uluga.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8068661#post8068661)

rm -rf ~/.gstreamer-0.10

THIS WORKED FOR ME! Success!

Snyder.4000
March 29th, 2010, 06:49 AM

rm -rf ~/.gstreamer-0.10
Thanks a lot, i have the same problem and this fixed, thank you :D