PDA

View Full Version : What will still be here in about 10 years.

dragos240
October 6th, 2009, 07:58 PM
It's interesting to think about it. Will Linux, Windows, & apple still exist? What technologies will still exist? As people use the web more than the computer, cloud computing becomes more dominant. Other than this, who knows. And another question, will this forum still be active?

RiceMonster
October 6th, 2009, 07:59 PM
All that's for sure is I will have successfully taken over the world by then. Just wait.

dragos240
October 6th, 2009, 08:01 PM
I don't doubt it.

starcannon
October 6th, 2009, 08:09 PM
It's interesting to think about it. Will Linux, Windows, & apple still exist? What technologies will still exist? As people use the web more than the computer, cloud computing becomes more dominant. Other than this, who knows. And another question, will this forum still be active?

Hard to say really, but my guess is the major players will still be here. MS seems to be struggling a little at the moment, but they have enough money to buy their way out of the vista debacle, and they seem to be making a few intelligent gestures; sure, ultimately at the behest of the EU, which could have been (the EU legal decisions) the best thing in the long run to happen to MS. Mac, well, there are always going to be people who are willing to pay a premium for the concept of having something that those with less resources can't have; so, yeah they will still be selling $700.00 hardware for $2500.00 ten years from now, so long as their niche market doesn't evaporate. Linux, probably it will still be kicking around too. The Linux community at this point is so large, I don't think it likely that it will just blow away; though I am excited to see how it (the OS, don't bother me with semantics), morphs and develops, I'm sure it will be quite exciting.

Nano tech should be developing quite nicely in 10 years, I wonder what that will mean for computing; that is something that causes the brain to go into imagination overload.

RaZe42
October 6th, 2009, 08:18 PM
All that's for sure is I will have successfully taken over the world by then. Just wait.

Start by making all computers run
yes RiceMonster simultaneously :P

RiceMonster
October 6th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Start by making all computers run
yes RiceMonster simultaneously :P

Don't reveal my plan!

Tibuda
October 6th, 2009, 08:22 PM
"Difficult to see. Always in motion is the future."
http://agoravai.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/yoda4.jpg

pricetech
October 6th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Considering the changes since I was a young pup, I'd say we simply can't dream of where technology will have taken us.

Ric_NYC
October 6th, 2009, 08:30 PM
I hope questions like "how to install "this or that" in Linux" will disappear in 10 years.

JDShu
October 6th, 2009, 08:43 PM
This forum will always be active in our hearts.

dragos240
October 6th, 2009, 08:46 PM
I hope questions like "how to install "this or that" in Linux" will disappear in 10 years.

It should get easier.

hoppipolla
October 6th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Windows has held fairly strong for the last 10 years... so it's logical to assume it will continue to have some degree of considerable presence over the NEXT 10 years... although I can see Google OS, open source being serious competitors, and Apple if they get more involved with the pc market or release a particularly accessible kind of Mac (the notion of a budget range springs to mind...)

I would say there is also a chance of another company of size surfacing in the market within that time as well, as in this internet age you can never rule it out!

As for Ubuntu... I think so long as Mark Shuttleworth remains passionate about it and the company holds together financially and in direction, and open source is always progressing fast enough to support it, I think it should still be around. But there is a good chance they will face their own new competition at the top of the open source world as well! :)

nubimax
October 6th, 2009, 11:12 PM
Hopping I will be here to shake my cane at all you young'ns.
M.

Chronon
October 7th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Hopping I will be here to shake my cane at all you young'ns.
M.

"Get off my LAN, you damn kids!!!"

:lolflag:

Exodist
October 7th, 2009, 05:47 PM
IMHO same as the previous 10 yeara go. Lin, Win and Fruit boyz..

chucky chuckaluck
October 7th, 2009, 05:56 PM

only if i leave you in charge.

ElSlunko
October 7th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Nothing but zombies. Or robots.

capnthommo
October 7th, 2009, 07:55 PM
well flying cars, personal jetpacks, holidays on the moon and undersea cities. that's what they said would happen by the year 2k, back in the 50/60s. i am STILL waiting [sound of foot tapping impatiently.

if you can promise these things, ricemonster, then you can count on my vote.
cheers
capn t

SomeGuyDude
October 7th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Well let's think.

MacOS was made in 1984, OSX hit in 2001.
Windows started in 1985.
Linux in 1991.

So that's, 25, 24, and 18 years respectively, all going strong. I'd imagine that in another 10 years they'll still be around.

QIII
October 7th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Bio/Mechanical/Electronic MMIs neurally integrated and connected to an evil, central server operated by **** Cheney's proteges.

You will be assimilated, so you won't really care.

praveesh
October 7th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Haiku?