PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] format USB despite write protection

Hakimjo
October 6th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Hello - I need to reformat a USB drive, but I can't, because there is a write protection issue which is probably described here:
~$ dmesg | tail
[ 6363.642096] sd 6:0:0:0: [sdc] Add. Sense: Write protected
[ 6363.642101] end_request: I/O error, dev sdc, sector 3587840
[ 6363.642105] Buffer I/O error on device sdc, logical block 3587840
[ 6363.642107] lost page write due to I/O error on sdc
[ 6363.643025] sd 6:0:0:0: [sdc] Result: hostbyte=DID_OK driverbyte=DRIVER_SENSE,SUGGEST_OK
[ 6363.643029] sd 6:0:0:0: [sdc] Sense Key : Data Protect [current]
[ 6363.643034] sd 6:0:0:0: [sdc] Add. Sense: Write protected
[ 6363.643039] end_request: I/O error, dev sdc, sector 3587856
[ 6363.643043] Buffer I/O error on device sdc, logical block 3587856
[ 6363.643045] lost page write due to I/O error on sdc

I have tried all commands on gparted and things like gtsudo nautilus, force write zeros; and I have checked for a manual switch. Nothing. Thanks for sharing the magic command !

Giblet5
October 6th, 2009, 05:26 PM
What kind of USB drive? CF? SD? Thumb? SSD? Fixed Disk?

If there's no write-protect gadget on the media, it might very well be defective.

wilee-nilee
October 6th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Are you unmounting the usb.

Hakimjo
October 6th, 2009, 05:45 PM
It's a flash drive named: JetFlash TS8GJF2A. Yes, I unmount it when I can and when required. I do the same things as with other drives I used before. E.g. delete the file system with gparted. It even says that the operation was successful, but then it still has that FAT32 system and exclamation mark. Same when I move the files to trash in sudo. It says it will delete them immediately, no error, but in the end, they are still there I can read the protected files.

Giblet5
October 6th, 2009, 06:09 PM
It's a flash drive named: JetFlash TS8GJF2A. Yes, I unmount it when I can and when required. I do the same things as with other drives I used before. E.g. delete the file system with gparted. It even says that the operation was successful, but then it still has that FAT32 system and exclamation mark. Same when I move the files to trash in sudo. It says it will delete them immediately, no error, but in the end, they are still there I can read the protected files.

This is a stick/thumb/pen drive. All solid state memory devices are "flash drives", but not all flash drives are sticks.

If the drive is unmounted (doesn't show up in a "df" command), then the drive may be defective.

Early SanDisk Cruzer sticks had this same problem. SanDisk would replace them with only a scan of the store receipt via email.

To check if it's the drive, do this:

sudo fdisk /dev/sd??? where ??? is the drive letter of your stick.

DON'T SUPPLY A PARTITION NUMBER:
/dev/sde = correct
/dev/sde1 = wrong

Enter 'p' and Enter to display the partition table.
Enter 'd' to delete a partition. If it asks for a partition number, enter 2.
Hit the 'p' key and Enter again. Are there any partitions? If so, repeat the 'd' command to delete them.
Hit the 'n' key to create a new partition. Make it a primary partition.
Hit the 't' key to set the partition type:
83 = ext3 Linux
c = FAT32
Hit the 'p' key to display the table. Is it correct?
If correct, hit the 'w' key to write out the changes and exit.
Otherwise, hit the 'q' key to quit. It's defective.

If you created a linux filesystem:
sudo e2mkfs /dev/sd???1

If you created a FAT32 filesystem:
sudo mkdosfs /dev/sd???1

Where ??? is the drive letter of your stick.

Hakimjo
October 6th, 2009, 06:51 PM
thanks for the detailed instructions. It worked ... half way. I did delete the four partitions and it seemed to work as shown by the p command:
Identifiant de disque : 0x6f20736b
Périphérique Amorce Début Fin Blocs Id Système
/dev/sdd1 1 8064 8257520 83 Linux

But then, when confirming with w, it says:
La table de partitions a été altérée! (the partition table has been modified)
Appel de ioctl() pour relire la table de partitions.
Erreur de fermeture du fichier (error on closing the file)

... hence, still nothing changed, but not exactly the "defective" symptom. Still some hope ?

dummy910
October 6th, 2009, 08:07 PM
I ran into a similar situation recently with a thumb drive that had the horrid U3 isofs boot-partition installed on it.

In short, you need to go and get the following U3-Removal-Tool from sansdisk:
http://u3.sandisk.com/launchpadremoval.htm

Use this tool in windoze to wipe the drive clean, then reformat it as 16bit FAT(for partitions under 4gigs), then run Unetbootin (http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/) (in Ubuntu)to install the given .iso.

Worked for me!

Hakimjo
October 6th, 2009, 08:40 PM
... I tried, but my flash drive is not recognised by the U3 software and I can't sweep it clean.