PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New kit --- old UBUNTU version

nss0000
October 6th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Gents:

I'm about to build.out new kit: AMD_965 / MSI_790_G70 / nv_9800GTX . While the components are not "brand-spanking-new", they do post.date my available UBUNTU version.

My only available UBUNTU CD is v_7.04 LTS ... yes I have ordered the new Jaunty_9.x , but it's not arrived before the gal-pals visit & this week we WILL build together.

Nope I've never "burned" a CD of.any.kind for.any.reason --- I've done online updating on current kit to v_8.04.1 --- and for sanity_issues would prefer NOT to start burning now.

My question ... what are my chances of getting sufficient hardware "recognition"/function from that old UBUNTU OS so I can do an on-line update to the software ? Contrawise, is there ANY chance of hardware damage should I attempt the install?

All comments appreciated.

Partyboi2
October 7th, 2009, 10:25 AM
If you are running 8.04 you can do a network upgrade (online) to 8.10 then to 9.04 if you do not want to do a clean install of 9.04.

My question ... what are my chances of getting sufficient hardware "recognition"/function from that old UBUNTU OS so I can do an on-line update to the software ? Contrawise, is there ANY chance of hardware damage should I attempt the install?
I am not sure what you mean, if you are wanting to use 7.04 then upgrade to a later version you will run into problems as 7.04 has reached its end of life.

I would suggest either network upgrade if you have the bandwidth to upgrade or wait till your 9.04 disk arrives and do a backup and clean install.

nss0000
October 7th, 2009, 02:56 PM
I didn't say that well: I've got old-kit under v_8.04.1 LTS that's works fine. I don't touch it.

I've got a box of new new-kit from NewEgg. The only available CD I have holds v-7.x Ubuntu. Surely not all-new-kit will be recognized! But -- can I install "enough" from the old-ubuntu into the new.kit to "bootstrap" into a DSL_install of the newer Ubuntu version ?