PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Update fails to install

MarvinZurcher
October 6th, 2009, 01:50 PM
On Oct 2 I did a update. When it installed the update it got to openoffice.org emailmerge and quit. I waited a few minutes and quit the update and now update will not work. I get this message when I try to run update.130972 Any help will be appreciated.

wojox
October 6th, 2009, 01:57 PM
You could also try:

sudo apt-get -f install

MarvinZurcher
October 6th, 2009, 02:02 PM
I did that and it does the same thing. When it gets to adding extension it quits.

ajgreeny
October 6th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Perhaps worth trying synaptic > Edit > Fix Broken Packages, just in case that helps.

MarvinZurcher
October 6th, 2009, 04:56 PM
I can't run synaptic. It says it is already running.

ajgreeny
October 6th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Try
killall synaptic in terminal to see if it really is, or look in System > Administration > System Monitor and stop anything related to updating or installing applications, then try synaptic again.

You can only have one front end to apt running at any one time.

MarvinZurcher
October 6th, 2009, 05:53 PM
I ran killall synaptic and it said no process killed.

ajgreeny
October 6th, 2009, 07:26 PM
What about update-manager?

MarvinZurcher
October 6th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Update Manager will not work either.130995

ajgreeny
October 6th, 2009, 11:45 PM
No, what I meant was "is update manager running already?" Look again in system monitor to see if anything appears to be running that might be associated with installing or updating packages, ie anything with dpkg, apt, synaptic etc etc.

MarvinZurcher
October 7th, 2009, 02:51 AM
I couldn't find anything like that in the system manager.

MarvinZurcher
October 7th, 2009, 03:04 AM
This is what's in my system manager.131053131054

hantechbl
October 7th, 2009, 03:12 AM
Can you manually install it?

MarvinZurcher
October 7th, 2009, 03:13 AM
No

hantechbl
October 7th, 2009, 03:36 AM
You have a duplicate of update manager runing terminate that and see if it works if it doesn't then try reinstalling update manager.

MarvinZurcher
October 7th, 2009, 09:22 AM
It's not a duplicate. I had to send two screenshots to get the entire list of operations.

Cheezespread
October 7th, 2009, 09:34 AM
As hantechbl mentioned , there are two entries for "update-manager" . And that is in the same screenshot( 2nd one )

MarvinZurcher
October 7th, 2009, 10:34 AM
I rebooted an it only shows one.131094

ajgreeny
October 7th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Is there a window button for update manager showing in one of your panels, usually the bottom one? Since 9.04, update manager opens in a minimised window in the background, rather than just the icon showing in the notification area of the panel, and this has stopped quite a few people from using synaptic or Add/Remove when they want to, because update manager is already running. You can stop this action and go back to the icon appearance, as used to happen, by opening gconf-editor->Apps->Update-notifier and remove the check mark from Auto launch.

If the window button is showing, click on it to open the update-manager window and try updating, if not go again to system monitor, scroll down to see if update-manager is running, and if so stop it. What happens if you try to start update-manager from the menu?

What you have in your new screenshot is update-notifier, quite different from update-manager, and that is OK to have running, but see my info above about changing the notification if you want to.

MarvinZurcher
October 7th, 2009, 10:48 PM
I turned off update notifier. Still have same problem.