PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] gnome-panel removed for all users

rozbuntu
October 6th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Hello Ubuntu users,

I'm a system operator of a healthcare organization and we are supporting ubuntu big time! We currently have ubuntu running on all our workstations. And also on the servers we are running ubuntu.

Now for the problem...

I'm currently working on a customized desktop for all users. So that's means that i replaced the standard wallpaper with my own in /usr/share/background and replaced the standard theme and icons. Now i want the bottom panel to be removed when a newly created users logs on for the first he doesn't see the bottom panel. It's just because we use Avant Window Navigator.

So how do i remove the bottom-panel (GNOME) for all users (and for all users that are going to be created in the future, they should have a desktop without the bottom-panel).

Thanx in advance.
-- rozbuntu

zeroseven0183
October 6th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Hi!

Try this
1. press Alt + F2
2. type gconf-editor
3. click Run
4. in the Configuration Editor look for panel under desktop > gnome > session > required_components
5. right-click panel and select Edit Key..
6. delete gnome-panel
7. click OK

and log-off from your current session and login again.

Of course, be sure you have AWN included in the Startup Applications first before logging off.

Reference: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=7987602&postcount=4

rozbuntu
October 6th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Hi,

Thanx for the quick reply! But if i understand it correctly this deletes all the panels and i only need the bottom-panel removed.

Thanx.
-- rozbuntu

ajgreeny
October 6th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Have a look at running
gksudo gconf-editor and in apps>panel> you may find something to do it, though I admit I can't a way to remove it in all users by default. However, being linux, I'm sure there must be a way, it's just not easy to find.