PDA

View Full Version : Whats the first thing you do after a new install?

carnagex420x
October 6th, 2009, 06:03 AM
Just a random thought, but whats the first thing you do with your system after a fresh new install? Start stripping stuff from it, start adding to it, or just make it pretty?

-I strip it BTW

slakkie
October 6th, 2009, 06:08 AM
Install zsh, openssh-server, install my shell profile (.vimrc, screenprofiles, all kind of functions I would like to have access too), install screen.

If it is a GUI system, logout from the GUI, copy a .kde dir over from one of my boxes and login again.

Install multimedia codecs (have a script which does that).

But I don't really do this often, only when testing Ubuntu in a VM and then usually I don't copy the .kde dir, I'll just use Gnome (just to annoy myself ;)).

RichardLinx
October 6th, 2009, 06:15 AM
Add to it, followed by getting rid of a few unwanted applications that come with it (When it comes to Ubuntu anyway) then I run:

sudo apt-get autoremove

sudo apt-get autoclean
It's one of the commands that stuck with me even though as of 8.10 Ubuntu has a GUI tool to do exactly what those commands do - CLI is faster in this case.

lisati
October 6th, 2009, 06:17 AM
Apply updates, then (re)install/configure Samba

Sean Moran
October 6th, 2009, 06:19 AM
Strip might not be quite the right word. More like take a copy of it while still fresh to rsync back if I want to try some experimental config and things start to bulge from there as new applications get used. Then I can just put it back if I don't like the end result of the changes.

The ultimate goal is to have the custom install process handle the config so well that Skype might be the only commercial package to add and everything already setup on .iso and saved just the way I like it before install. Only problem is, I still haven't worked out the exact way I want it to be yet. I've changed the top panel around 100 times by now, and what looked perfect last night now looks rather second-rate this morning.

hoppipolla
October 6th, 2009, 06:24 AM
with Ubuntu... I pretty much just use it.

It really does do most things "out of the box".

I guess I do replace a few programs though - Rhythmbox with Banshee, Firefox with Chromium... and I'll tend to install a few tools such as parcellite and gufw. This is all pretty optional though, I'd be happy using it without those changes :)

Bezmotivnik
October 6th, 2009, 07:01 AM
Pray, mostly.

siimo
October 6th, 2009, 07:24 AM
I normally use the server install to install minimal packages then X and XFCE. If i do a desktop install however, i stripe it bare and yes I take extreme measures to ensure I get rid of all the bloatware I don't need e.g. remove X. [Which in turn removes all X applications] Then install X and XFCE.

NoaHall
October 6th, 2009, 07:26 AM
Install graphics card driver, use my stored .debs to install Opera, Songbird, and Skype. Then bootchart, edit .bashrc to add some aliases, and links to some useful scripts I made, install aMSN, delete bottom panel on every screen, add AWN, change theme

HappinessNow
October 6th, 2009, 07:34 AM
Smoke a cigarette...oh wait wrong answer.

Go to sleep.

crepito
October 6th, 2009, 07:40 AM
Normally i use the alternative CD in order to have a basic system after install. Than, i just add what i want. That way i don't need to remove stuff that i don't use.

ctrlmd
October 6th, 2009, 07:51 AM
update

beercz
October 6th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Login

PhoHammer
October 6th, 2009, 06:32 PM
I usually just configure/customise it, but I need to start remembering to strip it of
all the "junk" I don't use...

swoll1980
October 6th, 2009, 06:32 PM
*drum roll* Restart it!

________________________________________BA-ZING!!

Jesus_Valdez
October 6th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Come here to the ubuntuforums and look for the multimedia [HOWTO] and fix whatever pulseaudio did wrong this time.

starcannon
October 6th, 2009, 07:32 PM
The first thing I do is:

Add Medibuntu repo's
Install ubuntu-restricted-extras
Get updates
Reboot
Enable proprietary hardware drivers
Reboot
Install any additional software I need from repos
Install MS Office using wine.
Start computing, and tune as I go.

My installs take a total of about 2 hours from the time I the install CD in, until the time I get MS Office installed. Not bad I don't think. I could make it quicker by remastering my install, that would leave a lot less stuff to download, I may do that one of these days. I think that could get my install down to an hourish.

koleoptero
October 6th, 2009, 07:43 PM
I order a pizza and some beers and celebrate the occasion.

Kingsley
October 6th, 2009, 07:46 PM
I make sure my Windows and music/video partitions are mounted and reading correctly. Then, I get the codecs installed.

openfly
October 6th, 2009, 08:32 PM
First thing I do after provisioning an Ubuntu system is I go straight away to the nearest playground and kick a toddler in the knee.

ice60
October 6th, 2009, 08:43 PM
look for the 0-days then pwn every one on ubuntuforums lol

mharrison
October 6th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Typically, I remove all of the programs that I won't be using....install the ones I do want, run update, reboot, install NVidia driver, reboot, start restoring my data.

Runs me about 40 minutes, depending on how fast the copy from my server takes.

anonymous_user
October 6th, 2009, 09:00 PM
I install the minimal Ubuntu ISO, I add apps, I strip some packages, then I customize.

Bachstelze
October 6th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Add to it. Usually the first run is:

sudo apt-get install zsh vim openssh-server build-essential ghc6 php5-cli

plus xorg if it's for a desktop.

Cam42
October 6th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Enable metacity compositing, install GNOME Do, turn on Docky, move both panels down to the bottom, copy all my music from a flash drive, find some cool wallpaper, install/configure conky.

SuperSonic4
October 6th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Update

no version will ever be totally up to date

Bachstelze
October 6th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Update

no version will ever be totally up to date

Wrong. The minimal CD will install an up-to-date version, since all packages will be downloaded in the first place.

PhoHammer
October 6th, 2009, 09:51 PM
I order a pizza and some beers and celebrate the occasion.

Memo to self: replicate koleoptero's post-install celebration.

undecim
October 6th, 2009, 10:08 PM
I used to strip it down some after a fresh install, but now that I have a computer that can do it without missing a beat, I prettify all out: Compiz (360 degree panorama skydome from inside a transparent cube), Gnome Do, AWN, etc...

I still have yet to see any video tearing or jerkiness from it at all, even when running two flash videos on adjacent desktops and moving the cube around with it like that.

Oh, and having a touchscreen makes it all twice as awesome. Though it's supposed to be a multi-touch screen, I can't get that functionality working with compiz (yet!)

TwiceOver
October 6th, 2009, 10:12 PM
I would say beyond getting all the devices working properly and update && upgrade...

I remove the bottom panel, delete the ff and help icon from the top panel. Add trash, running apps, and workspace switcher to the top panel.

Just kinda feels funky with two panels so the bottom one has to go ASAP.

samjh
October 7th, 2009, 12:45 AM
For Ubuntu, I remove programs I don't use: Evolution, Ekiga, Gnome Games, Tomboy, F-Spot.

Grifulkin
October 7th, 2009, 03:55 AM
Minimal FTW and then Add programs then customize.

wilee-nilee
October 7th, 2009, 04:07 AM
A personalized happy dance, oh then I brag to my friends. ;)

carnagex420x
October 7th, 2009, 07:53 AM
For Ubuntu, I remove programs I don't use: Evolution, Ekiga, Gnome Games, Tomboy, F-Spot.

Agreed. Bluez, CUPS, and the Media Players go too. I like to get rid of everything before I start adding the stuff I want to it.

donniezazen
October 7th, 2009, 07:54 AM
Install Medibuntu.

toupeiro
October 7th, 2009, 08:01 AM
Install PostGRES and MySQL, install latest release of gnome-do, add medibuntu, install some studio packages like rosegarden and audacity, install Handbrake, update wine to the latest version (for WoW), configure evolution for all my google services.

Then its a mixed bag of other things.