PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on purchasing refurbished Mac

isaacj87
October 6th, 2009, 04:57 AM
Hello all,

While I thoroughly enjoy linux on my netbook, I'd like to invest in buying a Mac desktop. I was looking at buying a refurbished iMac (this one in particular: http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB417LL/A?mco=MTA4MzIzNTI) for $999. I have a couple of questions, however, and was hoping to get personal experiences on buying an Apple refurbished product and/or buying a Mac period.

A) Are Apple refurbished products in good condition. According to their website, they have a stringent process they go through. I actually have a refurbished iPod (that is still with me today), but I still would like to know if they take good care of their Macs.

B) Is the hardware well worth the price? This is an obstacle I'm finding difficult to climb over. Now, I understand that this is $200 cheaper than plunking down on a new iMac, but I could buy a very nice PC for the same amount.

To be honest, I'm already leaning towards buying the thing, but I wouldn't mind getting some second opinions. I don't want this to turn into a flame war about Apple, so please try to stay on topic.

Thank you!

schauerlich
October 6th, 2009, 05:05 AM
I don't have first hand experience, but I've heard that refurbished hardware is in near new condition most of the time. If you don't mind being a generation behind, it can be a good buy. Right now I'd recommend waiting a few weeks before buying refurbished, as there are rumors of a new iMac being introduced on October 9th. That means that the current generation will start showing up as refurbished.

Bucky Ball
October 6th, 2009, 05:07 AM
What are you intending to run on it? OSX or Ubuntu? If the latter I'd build a PC. If you are after OSX you only have one course of action.

isaacj87
October 6th, 2009, 05:07 AM
I don't have first hand experience, but I've heard that refurbished hardware is in near new condition most of the time. If you don't mind being a generation behind, it can be a good buy. Right now I'd recommend waiting a few weeks before buying refurbished, as there are rumors of a new iMac being introduced on October 9th. That means that the current generation will start showing up as refurbished.

Thanks for the reply.

I heard about an imminent unveiling of new Macs too. I did a little research and apparently, this iMac is the current generation iMac. There hasn't been a refreshing to the current iMac line since its release in early of 2009. I could be wrong if anyone wanted to correct me.

AllRadioisDead
October 6th, 2009, 05:09 AM
I'd go OSX86 if you're interested in a fun project and saving a few hundred bucks.

isaacj87
October 6th, 2009, 05:09 AM
What are you intending to run on it? OSX or Ubuntu? If the latter I'd build a PC. If you are after OSX you only have one course of action.

Most definitely OSX. I have enough Windows and Linux computers littered around!

-grubby
October 6th, 2009, 05:10 AM
I'd go OSX86 if you're interested in a fun project and saving a few hundred bucks.

That's also:

1) Illegal (In the US at least)
2) Hard to get running correctly

misfitpierce
October 6th, 2009, 07:04 AM
Its not that hard to get running and yeah it is illegal but seriously psystar still makes them and apple has not yet knocked them down I don't think and they come configured running OSX for a way better price... So I dunno its not that bad of an option!

earthpigg
October 6th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Its not that hard to get running and yeah it is illegal but seriously psystar still makes them and apple has not yet knocked them down I don't think and they come configured running OSX for a way better price... So I dunno its not that bad of an option!

the courts and legislature decide what is and is not legal, not community members of Ubuntuforums.org.

ergo, if the courts have not decided that psystar needs to stop selling computers, then it is to early to declare their sales illegal.

psystar's sales are clearly a legal gray area at present. (i believe that is where ubuntu-restricted-extras likes to hang out.)

....that being said, if you are going to purchase from psystar, i suggest doing so very soon, and don't expect the warranty to be in effect for the full length of whatever time frame is outlined :D

Exodist
October 6th, 2009, 07:13 AM
Heres your advice. DONT.
You should never pay more then 25% of original cost for a refurb no matter what it is..

AllRadioisDead
October 6th, 2009, 07:44 AM
That's also:

1) Illegal (In the US at least)
2) Hard to get running correctly
1) Yes, but a fun project nonetheless. Go buy a copy of OSX if you feel guilty.
2) Not true.