PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install hangs at partitioning on 64 bit both 9.04 and 9.1

dartdog
October 6th, 2009, 04:54 AM
Have a gateway Laptop 64 bit, integrated Intel graphics 4 gb ram and have swapped a brand new 500 gb drive into it and tried to load Ubuntu, no matter what I try I keep hanging at partitioning step,,,at about the 5% point, no disk activity do I need to do something else to initialize the disk, It was fresh out of the wrapper..?? System has been running fine on Vista64 with other disk, I even swapped it back and then back again, to get the alternate version of Ubuntu,, no joy At this point sort of frustrated!

dartdog
October 6th, 2009, 02:04 PM
In Googling around I see this problem seems to occur with some regularity, with no real resolution? Surely there must be some nuke it option?

jollyc
October 19th, 2009, 06:38 AM
Yeah I got the same thing, I found that by keeping the mouse moving every so often it would get past that, it was like nursing the install along which is pretty annoying but that seems to have gotten around that issue but now I have a similar problem when I try to move old files from a USB HDD to my new system it freezes there too. I doubt the internal HDDs have a problem as they're new however it is a possibility. I might google for a SATA HDD checker.

Themotorman
November 22nd, 2009, 12:11 AM
I have same problem with HP ZE5700 Pavilion laptop, I think only 32 bit system. It does install on a brand new drive until partitioner then hangs, it did get to 1% but just sits. Any ideas ? Can I do a format/partition without installing Ubuntu then may be Ubuntu will install OK. I am going to put Ubuntu on the whole 80 gb drive.
Thanks for any advice..