PDA

View Full Version : Apple will sue your buttocks for any apple-like logos...

Sporkman
October 6th, 2009, 01:44 AM
http://images.smh.com.au/2009/10/04/769782/woolies3-420x0.jpg

WOOLWORTHS insists its new logo is a stylised W, or a piece of fresh produce; Apple thinks it is an apple, and the California-based technology company wants to stop Australia's largest retailer from using it.

Apple has mounted a legal challenge to prevent Woolworths from using the logo that now adorns its trucks, stores and products, arguing it is too close to its own...

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/biz-tech/apple-claims-woolies-is-getting-fresh-with-new-logo-20091004-ghxe.html

dragos240
October 6th, 2009, 01:46 AM
That doesn't even resemble the apple logo >.<. Nice job failing. Stupid apple.

jonian_g
October 6th, 2009, 01:51 AM
I didn't know Apple invented apples.

Sean Moran
October 6th, 2009, 01:58 AM
That's right!

I'm sure it was Lennon & McCartney who discovered them first ...

... or maybe even before The Beatles started making records? :lolflag:

hoppipolla
October 6th, 2009, 02:00 AM
http://www.smh.com.au/technology/biz-tech/apple-claims-woolies-is-getting-fresh-with-new-logo-20091004-ghxe.html

Woolworths still exists?

and second... how can you trademark a fruit?

miegiel
October 6th, 2009, 02:12 AM
If you're rotten to the core a fresh youthful logo is vital.

<== I guess that's the total opposite :twisted:

handy
October 6th, 2009, 02:23 AM
Perhaps a Rabbi & a Bishop from the RC church should get together & have a class action law suit against Apple for stealing their symbol of the fall of man?

Dharmachakra
October 6th, 2009, 02:25 AM
Might as well sue Michigan Apples as well. Those bastards even have 'Apple' in their name.

PhoHammer
October 6th, 2009, 02:28 AM
That doesn't even resemble the apple logo >.<. Nice job failing. Stupid apple.

That's what I said when I first saw the picture.

mick55
October 6th, 2009, 02:47 AM
Amazing.

Talk about history repeating.

Lennon & McCartney sued Apple Computers years ago for
using a name similar to their company Apple Records.

The judge threw out the case saying that no one would
confuse a computer company with a record label.

But now Apple thinks they can pull the same stunt.
They will probably get the same result.

Tipped OuT
October 6th, 2009, 02:48 AM
Wow, that's just redicoulus. It's all about the money. Money, money, money, money, money.

Marlonsm
October 6th, 2009, 02:50 AM
And... here is the next one to be sued:
http://appletreemobility.com/images/appletree%20colour.jpg

Sorry, I couldn't resist. But suing a company with a logo that barely remembers a fruit is too much...

NormanFLinux
October 6th, 2009, 02:51 AM
Apple will lose the case. The symbol is not identical enough to confuse consumers and do damage to Apple's brand.

dasunst3r
October 6th, 2009, 02:57 AM
I hope the judge ruling over this case orders Apple to pay Woolworth's for their legal costs and pay the court fees.

Firestem4
October 6th, 2009, 03:17 AM
Thats pretty damn stupid..But goes to show what you can (attempt) to sue people over)

http://hookusa.wordpress.com/2009/03/09/remax-attacking-rehava-says-rehava-logo-looks-too-simliar-to-remax/
^ this

Sean Moran
October 6th, 2009, 03:17 AM
I can't help but feel obligated as a responsible citizen to dob in my grandma, for I I have seen her pirating Apple's trademark in her backyard ever since I was a kid. She has found a really sneaky way to hang her intellectual property theft on a tree, and the trickiest part of her crimes is like some sort of disguise so that you won't even recognise the plagiarism until after you take a bite out of it! By then it's too late too!:(

<No, her last name is not Smith, btw>

LowSky
October 6th, 2009, 03:31 AM
Can apple sue New York City... it is known as the 'Big Apple'.
or maybe the NY Mets
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/mets/docs/images/7sf0fkba.jpg

Maybe I should start a company called Pineapple.... or is that too close to Apple's rights?

lykwydchykyn
October 6th, 2009, 03:38 AM
Clearly it indicates that Apple is going to start a chain of grocery stores in the near future. That's what I hear from my inside connections in Cupertino. But keep it hush hush...

pwnst*r
October 6th, 2009, 03:41 AM
apple made a dumb .mov that time.

Sean Moran
October 6th, 2009, 03:43 AM
Clearly it indicates that Apple is going to start a chain of grocery stores in the near future. That's what I hear from my inside connections in Cupertino. But keep it hush hush...
Haha! I can see it now; they'll put a little bar-code chip in the system 'core' that explodes when it comes into contact with stomach juices if the licence fees aren't paid.

That oughta keep those pesky customers honest! :P

sdlynx
October 6th, 2009, 03:49 AM
Might as well sue Michigan Apples as well. Those bastards even have 'Apple' in their name.

ahahah don't tell them!! Steve Jobs will be onto them any minute!

hoppipolla
October 6th, 2009, 04:22 AM

Exactly! Your secret's out Steve! :D

Thats pretty damn stupid..But goes to show what you can (attempt) to sue people over)

http://hookusa.wordpress.com/2009/03/09/remax-attacking-rehava-says-rehava-logo-looks-too-simliar-to-remax/
^ this

Is that serious? O.O

chessnerd
October 6th, 2009, 04:27 AM
Personally, I think that logo looks more like a green tomato than a green apple, but I live in Michigan, so what would I know about apples?

I understand the importance of trademarks, but I just don't get Apple. Are they honestly going to try to sue people over any logo that looks like an apple? If every company did that what kind of world would we live in?

What if Pella used a window in one of their commercials? Is Microsoft going to go after them?

"March of the Penguins" was a pretty popular film, is Larry Ewing going to sue the people who made that movie?

While we're at it, let's have IBM sue anyone who uses a logo with three letters.

If you use multi-colored letters Google should sue the crap out of you.

Uh, oh! Your new logo uses a castle? Disney is going to take every dime you have.

Walmart can sue anyone who dares to use a smiley-face.

Wanna draw anime with cute animals? Better not, or Sanrio is going to come after you.

OpenOffice should sue anyone who draws pictures with stylized seagulls.

Heck, how about Nike sues everyone that uses check marks, after all, that's pretty close to the "Swoosh."

Adobe should sue any font maker that allows the letter "f" to be italicized because people might confuse it with the Flash logo.

Are those three kids playing ring around the rosy? Canoncial had better call up their lawyers, we have some five-year-olds to sue.

I could go on, but I think you get my point...

KiwiNZ
October 6th, 2009, 04:40 AM
I think Apple is pushing it with this one .

I understand their motivation, brand establishment takes a long time and is very costly , and so is brand protection.They have to be very vigilant and aggressive.

hoppipolla
October 6th, 2009, 06:35 AM
I think Apple is pushing it with this one .

I understand their motivation, brand establishment takes a long time and is very costly , and so is brand protection.They have to be very vigilant and aggressive.

It's a bit much to trademark the shape of a fruit though isn't it? The only excuse I can see them having is the design of the apple stalk in both logos, which I guess looks a little similar. Other than that... yeah they're really pushing it!

Sean Moran
October 6th, 2009, 06:41 AM
Seems as though Apple are trying to tell us that they never had much imagination to begin with, which isn't exactly the sales-pitch I'd expect from them.

HappinessNow
October 6th, 2009, 07:00 AM
Apple is milking this one for all the millions of dollars of publicity that is coming with it. Win or lose Apple wins by default, great marketing tactic!

It's like highly sophisticated SPAM, anything to keep them in the front page and talking in forums just like this one.

Next they will sue New York City for using the nickname; "Big Apple"!

misfitpierce
October 6th, 2009, 07:01 AM
There are W's similar to that in the character map of diff font bases so it does not resemble an apple and they are getting as bad as microsoft (greediness wise)

HappinessNow
October 6th, 2009, 07:05 AM
...they are getting as bad as microsoft (greediness wise)

They are essentially the same animal or two sides of the same coin.

Don't forget Microsoft made huge investments in Apple in it's early days, and still owns a vested interest.

You could say Microsoft and Apple have been sleeping together for a long time. There is an old Russian saying; "You are as your friends are"

kevin11951
October 6th, 2009, 07:06 AM
Actually Apple has already sued NYC: http://gizmodo.com/375498/apple-attacks-nyc-over-greenyc-logo-steve-jobzilla-to-destroy-central-park-next

HappinessNow
October 6th, 2009, 07:09 AM
Actually Apple has already sued NYC: http://gizmodo.com/375498/apple-attacks-nyc-over-greenyc-logo-steve-jobzilla-to-destroy-central-park-next

Again, Apple is a publicity ***** all these frivolous lawsuits equates to multi-millions of dollars of publicity for them you could say they use the courts to SPAM the world.

Exodist
October 6th, 2009, 07:11 AM
Amazing.

LMAO... I know right..

HappinessNow
October 6th, 2009, 07:16 AM
Amazing.

LMAO... I know right..

Actually Apple may win, whoever has the best lawyers wins!

siimo
October 6th, 2009, 07:27 AM
Apple are overzealous more than any other company I know.

Another reason why I don't own Apple products and will never purchase one either. If someone is to gift me an ipod I will sell it on eBay and use the cash for something useful. :D

HappinessNow
October 6th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Apple are overzealous more than any other company I know.

Another reason why I don't own Apple products and will never purchase one either. If someone is to gift me an ipod I will sell it on eBay and use the cash for something useful. :D
Why inflict someone else with the iPod just make a YouTube of you smashing it with a SledgeHammer!

add a donation link and you might make more money then selling it on eBay.

3rdalbum
October 6th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Geez, I think we're lucky that Apple's logo isn't a face, or we'd all get sued.

starcannon
October 6th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Someone on these forums once told me, MS learned their bag of dirty tricks from Apple; looks like they may have not been far from the truth.

bruno9779
October 6th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Once more I need to be reminded: what is it that apple sells?

bruno9779
October 6th, 2009, 01:42 PM
this portuguese company deserves being sued

http://www.apfel.pt/

and this:

http://www.apfel.com.br/

and this:

http://www.melinda.it/

and Andy Warhole too:

http://www.mollycliffhilts.com/Commissions.php?Show=3

In fact I am going to trademark pears, before eating one becomes a crime

Sporkman
October 6th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Once more I need to be reminded: what is it that apple sells?

They have a three-pillared product line:

- Popular personal communication & entertainment devices, such as the iPod & iPhone,

- A digital music business, called "iTunes",

- A line of personal computers.

They each complement & support each other. Works pretty well for them.

HomoGleek
October 6th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Apple will have to convince IP Australia, the federal government agency that governs trademarks, to knock back Woolworths's application - first filed in August last year - to trademark its logo.

Ah Woolworths, memories. Looks like I have too move too Au if I want too visit a Woolworths again.

Anyway on topic, Apple is just the lesser of 2 evils. I don't think anybody would confuse those 2 logos for being the same company.

longtom
October 6th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Ah Woolworths, memories. Looks like I have too move too Au if I want too visit a Woolworths again.

Don't need to go that far - South Africa will do. Also this might not look like the Woolworths you were used to in the US or UK back in the days....

As to the lawsuit - I agree with those who believe this to be a marketing ploy...

HomoGleek
October 6th, 2009, 02:34 PM
OFF-TOPIC: Im talking about the now kaput British Woolworths :)

handy
October 6th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Woolworths are certainly big enough to take Apple on if they choose to.

It will be interesting to see what the Woolworths legal team recomends: Will they let Apple push them around, or will they spend the money in an effort to win & recoup their costs?

CharmyBee
October 6th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Geez, I think we're lucky that Apple's logo isn't a face, or we'd all get sued.

Well there is that MacOS logo...

Methuselah
October 6th, 2009, 06:50 PM
We'll have to be careful about calling New York the Big Apple.

This is so extreme it's stupid.
What's their problem, the little crescent over the W?

forrestcupp
October 6th, 2009, 07:42 PM
This is pretty ridiculous. But it's not any more ridiculous than how crazy people have gotten right here on these forums when they find a company's logo that looks even remotely similar to Ubuntu's. The Ubuntu community is at least as vicious as Apple is being right now. I remember at least one web site that was forced to change their logo because it was unknowingly somewhat similar to Ubuntu's.

KiwiNZ
October 6th, 2009, 07:52 PM
This is pretty ridiculous. But it's not any more ridiculous than how crazy people have gotten right here on these forums when they find a company's logo that looks even remotely similar to Ubuntu's. The Ubuntu community is at least as vicious as Apple is being right now. I remember at least one web site that was forced to change their logo because it was unknowingly somewhat similar to Ubuntu's.

There is a lot worse than Apple , McDonalds is probably the most aggressive

HomoGleek
October 6th, 2009, 08:06 PM
You believe Canonical is as stupidly harsh as Apple when it comes too trademark violations? If this was true they would be chasing anybody with a circle in there logo.

forrestcupp
October 6th, 2009, 08:18 PM
You believe Canonical is as stupidly harsh as Apple when it comes too trademark violations? If this was true they would be chasing anybody with a circle in there logo.

They pretty much do chase after anyone with 3 circles in their logo. Have you been a part of some of the lynch mobs on the forums in the past?

KiwiNZ
October 6th, 2009, 08:22 PM
They pretty much do chase after anyone with 3 circles in their logo. Have you been a part of some of the lynch mobs on the forums in the past?

Lets not makes such statements please. They do not add to the debate.

ice60
October 6th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Actually Apple has already sued NYC: http://gizmodo.com/375498/apple-attacks-nyc-over-greenyc-logo-steve-jobzilla-to-destroy-central-park-nextgo apple lol

Shibblet
October 6th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Amazing.

I was thinking the same thing. Produce and Computers are not the same business. In the US you can actually have two businesses with the same name, so long as they are different fields.

I can open a store called "Windows Marketplace" so long as I was selling glass products.

sudoer541
October 6th, 2009, 08:45 PM
Apple may even sue Canonical for using a tiger-like animal on ubuntu 10.04.

Appppshoooo!

DeathMetal
October 6th, 2009, 08:47 PM
And once this actually goes to court, we can resurrect Johnny Cochran to use his famous Chewbacca defense.:D

starcannon
October 6th, 2009, 08:50 PM
The lawsuit from Eight Mile Style LLC says Apple was wrongfully enriched by $2.5 million from the sale of the song downloads...http://www.dmwmedia.com/news/2009/09/23/eminem%2526%2523039%3Bs-publisher-sues-apple-over-itunes-store-tracks

As in the past with the "iPhone" name, or the Apple (Records) name, when Apple(c)(tm)(r) uses intellectual property without permission its "O'kay", just don't let anyone else do it.

And Apple is also suing some other folks right now:

Apple is also taking action against music festival promoter Poison Apple for its skull and crossbones Apple logo, seen below. (Source: LiveGuide)http://www.dailytech.com/Apple+Sues+Woolsworths+Over+Fruity+Logo+it+Claims+ is+Too+Similar/article16422.htm

infestor
October 6th, 2009, 09:55 PM
it is like your company has a normal square for the logo and anyone uses a square as their logo you sue! wtf really apple?

Skripka
October 6th, 2009, 09:57 PM
it is like your company has a normal square for the logo and anyone uses a square as their logo you sue! wtf really apple?

Actually, I OWN the patent on the IP behind the letter "A". Fork o'er some money or kiss your language/keyboard/books goodbye.

Omnios
October 6th, 2009, 10:06 PM
I think $pple $*** is pushing it and following another $ example which will get them in $. I had the greatest respect for Apple because of the professional software that ran on there computers but this makes me rethink that. Sorry but that looks nothing like there trademark logo.

handy
October 7th, 2009, 02:52 AM
Apart from the many well known Apple policies & tactics that cause many to single it out as one of the leaders in the evil empire. Woolworths is very likely an even more evil entity. They have done dreadful things at all levels of the food & fuel supply systems in my country (Oz).

Giant Speck
October 7th, 2009, 02:59 AM
When I see this logo:

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/6976/woolworthslogodetail.gif

I immediately think of this logo:

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/6742/walgreenslogo.png

And even then, they aren't similar enough to warrant claims of trademark violation.

handy
October 7th, 2009, 03:15 AM
Woolworths should just buy Apple.

forrestcupp
October 7th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Lets not makes such statements please. They do not add to the debate.

I'm sorry for my poor choice of wording. I just don't like how the community has gone after some logos that were different enough that maybe they should have been left alone. It's no different than the topic of this forum, but it's hard to look in the mirror sometimes. There are many simple shapes and designs that can be arrived at separately without knowingly copying someone else.

I'll try to choose my words more wisely, though.

CharmyBee
October 7th, 2009, 02:50 PM
The Ubuntu logo thievery accusations were true and real as they were actually stolen logos used in a violation of Canonical trademark guidelines, down to the exact rotational degrees, shape and colors. That's different as it was a direct lift, not a "similar" logo. End of story.

The Apple logo case here isn't anything like that. Apple's suing over a logo with a shape of a food of a company that's not even part of the tech industry, and it's not even derived from the Apple logo in any way, just only sharing one thing in common - a shape of an apple.

Boom!!!
October 7th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Pathetic.

forrestcupp
October 7th, 2009, 02:59 PM
The Ubuntu logo thievery accusations were true and real as they were actually stolen logos used in a violation of Canonical trademark guidelines, down to the exact rotational degrees, shape and colors. That's different as it was a direct lift, not a "similar" logo. End of story.

The Apple logo case here isn't anything like that. Apple's suing over a logo with a shape of a food of a company that's not even part of the tech industry, and it's not even derived from the Apple logo in any way, just only sharing one thing in common - a shape of an apple.

I'm sorry to keep this going, but you must not know about every case. They weren't all the same rotational degree, shape and colors. And they weren't all tech related. I remember at least one case that was a different rotation and different colors, and it was just a similar design. There were some cases that were different enough that they probably should have been left alone.

Contrary to popular belief on these forums, there are a lot of people out there who have never even heard of Ubuntu, and it's possible to come up with a somewhat similar design to Ubuntu's logo without ever seeing it. It's a circle with 3 dots.

Tristam Green
October 7th, 2009, 03:02 PM
I'm sorry to keep this going, but you must not know about every case. They weren't all the same rotational degree, shape and colors. And they weren't all tech related. I remember at least one case that was a different rotation and different colors, and it was just a similar design. There were some cases that were different enough that they probably should have been left alone.

Contrary to popular belief on these forums, there are a lot of people out there who have never even heard of Ubuntu, and it's possible to come up with a somewhat similar design to Ubuntu's logo without ever seeing it. It's a circle with 3 dots.

Building on what forrestcupp said, by extending the very same logic rationalized in the previous threads about "logo stealing", he creator of the "Cootie Shot" should get royalties from Canonical for Canonical using a similar configuration in their logo.

To others: See how silly it sounds in reverse?

jonian_g
October 7th, 2009, 03:40 PM
It's a circle with 3 dots.

Three people holding hands.
If you claim the ability to compare logos over their similarity, at least pay more attention to what the logo resembles.

PS: Don't take the comment the wrong way. I don't intend being harsh.

jonian_g
October 7th, 2009, 03:50 PM
See how silly it sounds in reverse?

Well these two are not silly:

http://www.inatux.com/articles5.php
http://mruiz.openminds.cl/blog/index.php/2008/08/19/abuse-of-ubuntu-logo-in-chile/

While this one is:

http://homyarb.blogspot.com/2009/07/logo-infringement.html

In order to be fair, you should come up with cases that Canonical sued someone. Saying that some ubuntu users-fans claim trademark infringements, has nothing to do with the original post.

Tristam Green
October 7th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Well these two are not silly:

http://www.inatux.com/articles5.php
http://mruiz.openminds.cl/blog/index.php/2008/08/19/abuse-of-ubuntu-logo-in-chile/

While this one is:

http://homyarb.blogspot.com/2009/07/logo-infringement.html

In order to be fair, you should come up with cases that Canonical sued someone. Saying that some ubuntu users-fans claim trademark infringements, has nothing to do with the original post.

No, it doesn't. However, forrest was right in his initial thought about the witch-hunting that was going on a few months back by some overzealous fanboys. Those actions dim the light on the community proper.

jonian_g
October 7th, 2009, 04:29 PM
No, it doesn't. However, forrest was right in his initial thought about the witch-hunting that was going on a few months back by some overzealous fanboys. Those actions dim the light on the community proper.

Well, I won't disagree with that. My objection was at Apple vs Canonical actions on trademark infringement.

Mateo
October 7th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Can apple sue New York City... it is known as the 'Big Apple'.
or maybe the NY Mets
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/mets/docs/images/7sf0fkba.jpg

Maybe I should start a company called Pineapple.... or is that too close to Apple's rights?

calling it pineapple is a problem, but a bigger problem is that the name contains the letter 'i', which is copyrighted by apple. in lowercase-form at least.

Tristam Green
October 7th, 2009, 04:46 PM
calling it pineapple is a problem, but a bigger problem is that the name contains the letter 'i', which is copyrighted by apple. in lowercase-form at least.

iDontcare.

jonian_g
October 7th, 2009, 04:47 PM
iDontcare.

:lolflag:

Tristam Green
October 7th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Believe me, there was something else I wanted to say, but I'd have been well on my way out of UF with a stamp of "READ THE COC ON YOUR WAY OUT" on my backside.

Chronon
October 7th, 2009, 05:16 PM

I hope you're joking.

forrestcupp
October 7th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Three people holding hands.
If you claim the ability to compare logos over their similarity, at least pay more attention to what the logo resembles.

PS: Don't take the comment the wrong way. I don't intend being harsh.

Thank you for proving my point. The logos that were being questioned were basically a circle with 3 dots. ;)

Tristam Green
October 7th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Speaking of ripping off logos (;-))

http://www.visualiseringscenter.se/1/1.0.1.0/230/images//305_4a43fcdbf64304ceb6b5e3a244efc8a495.jpg

shocked, appalled, etc.

tuahaa
October 7th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Well then God should sue Mac (or nature if you iz atheist lololol, etc, etc)

forrestcupp
October 7th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Well then God should sue Mac (or nature if you iz atheist lololol, etc, etc)

I don't believe nature exists. :)

KiwiNZ
October 7th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Believe me, there was something else I wanted to say, but I'd have been well on my way out of UF with a stamp of "READ THE COC ON YOUR WAY OUT" on my backside.

Its a iCOC and a iWAY OUT , oh hang on we cant have that . iDang it :P

cantab
October 7th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Something to bear in mind:

Trademarks have to be ACTIVELY defended. In a sense, Apple have to make this suit. If they DIDN'T sue everyone using apple-like logos, it's possible they could lose the trademark at some point, if they do sue someone and the defendant says "well you didn't sue these dozen other guys with logos as much like yours as mine is. So the trademark's lapsed." If the judge agrees, then bang, anyone can use the Apple logo.

It's a bit unlikely, but it's possible. Thus, though I still agree the suit is stupid, and Apple should lose, the way the law works explains why Apple filed it.

hoppipolla
October 7th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Something to bear in mind:

Trademarks have to be ACTIVELY defended. In a sense, Apple have to make this suit. If they DIDN'T sue everyone using apple-like logos, it's possible they could lose the trademark at some point, if they do sue someone and the defendant says "well you didn't sue these dozen other guys with logos as much like yours as mine is. So the trademark's lapsed." If the judge agrees, then bang, anyone can use the Apple logo.

It's a bit unlikely, but it's possible. Thus, though I still agree the suit is stupid, and Apple should lose, the way the law works explains why Apple filed it.

Perhaps. It does depend where the line is drawn though.. oh well, they won't win anyway or at least the chances are VERY slim o.O

xuCGC002
October 7th, 2009, 09:00 PM
They have every right. You can barely tell the difference between the two! I mean, I thought you just duplicated the Apple logo and put them side by side! This is Unbelievable!

handy
October 8th, 2009, 12:54 AM
They have every right. You can barely tell the difference between the two! I mean, I thought you just duplicated the Apple logo and put them side by side! This is Unbelievable!

Perhaps its due to the glasses they all have to wear at Apple? Maybe they block out the vision in one eye?

Mateo
October 8th, 2009, 01:28 AM
I hope you're joking.

that sentence has the letter 'i', prepare to be sued.

handy
October 8th, 2009, 01:49 AM

You gave me the clue, at Apple they all have to wear iGlasses! :guitar:

xuCGC002
October 8th, 2009, 01:51 AM

Didn't Intel try to copyright the letter "e" once?

rmccutchan
October 8th, 2009, 02:05 AM
It wouldn't surprise me if Apple won:

Remember back in the early '80s (some of us can), Minolta Camera had the Maxxum line with the x's overlapping? Well, Exxon Oil sued them because it looked like Exxon's x's and won so Minolta had to stop using the crossed x's. I am sure that Exxon lost a LOT of business in that short amount of time since people were buing cameras thinking it was oil. :confused:

CharmyBee
October 8th, 2009, 03:52 PM
wear iGlasses! :guitar:

Those actually exist, and they're dorky.

cameronedwards
October 8th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Wait woolworths is still open in australia? yay!
But anyway if your gonna make an icon with no real definitive features you really have to go easy on the copyright when another company makes an icon similar only in species to yours with different colour shape and shine origins.

days_of_ruin
October 8th, 2009, 05:23 PM
In other news, apple is changing their name to "Apple Cable Inc."

handy
October 8th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Those actually exist, and they're dorky.

I can tell, they are made so that everything you look at through them has the Apple logo superimposed on it. :)

Wait woolworths is still open in australia? yay!

They have been going strong here for many decades. They bought the U.S. & international Tandy electronics company some years ago. They have petrol stations (gas stations) all over the place, they encourage people to buy food in their store by giving them discounts on fuel, if it is bought at their service stations of course.

What this is doing, is pushing more & more private service stations (gas stations) out of business. As time goes by, Woolworths will become one of the fuel supply giants in this country. In the process they are swallowing up more & more small businesses, not just service stations, that is the more recent type, the so called (privately owned) corner store has been disappearing for decades, they are now a rarity, & Woolworths is one of the prime companies responsible for this.

They also dominate much of the agricultural industry here, dictating what should be grown & what they will pay for it, then reneging whenever it suits them. They control the retail price of the various types of cows milk. They are screwing various types of farming industry here due to their purchase of fruit, vegetables & other products from China, because they can buy them in China so cheap that they can then ship them across the world to Oz & still make more profit than if they payed the local farmers.

Woolworths is just another evil corporation that has got no care for anything but its quarterly profits. It sells food carrying the world renowned Chinese environmental toxins to the people of this country without the slightest care.

I'm happy for the Chinese standard of living to have been rising somewhat over the recent years. & I don't blame them at all. I blame the shareholders, they allow the directors of the companies that they have shares in to be absolutely ruthless in the pursuit of profit & I expect that the shareholders of Woolworths are very likely at least equally as bad as the shareholders of Apple in this regard, if not even more so.

HomoGleek
October 8th, 2009, 08:05 PM
I can tell, they are made so that everything you look at through them has the Apple logo superimposed on it. :)

They have been going strong here for many decades. They bought the U.S. & international Tandy electronics company some years ago. They have petrol stations (gas stations) all over the place, they encourage people to buy food in their store by giving them discounts on fuel, if it is bought at their service stations of course.

What this is doing, is pushing more & more private service stations (gas stations) out of business. As time goes by, Woolworths will become one of the fuel supply giants in this country. In the process they are swallowing up more & more small businesses, not just service stations, that is the more recent type, the so called (privately owned) corner store has been disappearing for decades, they are now a rarity, & Woolworths is one of the prime companies responsible for this.

They also dominate much of the agricultural industry here, dictating what should be grown & what they will pay for it, then reneging whenever it suits them. They control the retail price of the various types of cows milk. They are screwing various types of farming industry here due to their purchase of fruit, vegetables & other products from China, because they can buy them in China so cheap that they can then ship them across the world to Oz & still make more profit than if they payed the local farmers.

Woolworths is just another evil corporation that has got no care for anything but its quarterly profits. It sells food carrying the world renowned Chinese environmental toxins to the people of this country without the slightest care.

I'm happy for the Chinese standard of living to have been rising somewhat over the recent years. & I don't blame them at all. I blame the shareholders, they allow the directors of the companies that they have shares in to be absolutely ruthless in the pursuit of profit & I expect that the shareholders of Woolworths are very likely at least equally as bad as the shareholders of Apple in this regard, if not even more so.

Doesn't sound like the Woolworths I knew in the UK, so I think the may be different all together.

--

wikipedia says:
Woolworths Limited is the largest retail company in Australia and New Zealand. Although named after the F.W. Woolworth brand, it has no relation.

Phew!

Omnios
October 9th, 2009, 01:52 AM

He he corperate America one bit happy corporation, srry looked into it its doomed to failure save me the grief its already failing and has not fully started. I always admired the empire builders but this is just cut your customer throat giant corps like a draining tub dragging are society down. We all sit there and yell foul but nothing gets done about it. Revenus are nice but when you start to see people begging on the street for food because of it you start taking the evil corp comments serious and business practices like k I will cost you a lot over a stupid logo that does not even look mine does not help. I am corperate I believe a union can drain a corperation dry but now the shoe is on the other foot this is truely evil.

lykwydchykyn
October 9th, 2009, 03:39 AM
He he corperate America ...

Don't you mean corporate Australia?

Dimitriid
October 9th, 2009, 04:47 AM
Don't you mean corporate Australia?

In this globalized world corporate has all the connotation you need to know regardless of the geographical region.

HappinessNow
October 9th, 2009, 07:00 AM
In other news, apple is changing their name to "Apple Cable Inc."...or;

AppleCast Inc.

Watch out Comcast!

Next thing you know it will be:

Applebuntu - Linux for really cool people

:lolflag:

Khakilang
October 9th, 2009, 08:20 AM
What happen if I am selling apple and use apple as my logo?

cameronedwards
October 9th, 2009, 10:47 AM
[quote=handy;8073212
They have petrol stations (gas stations) all over the place, they encourage people to buy food in their store by giving them discounts on fuel, if it is bought at their service stations of course.

Woolworths is just another evil corporation that has got no care for anything but its quarterly profits. It sells food carrying the world renowned Chinese environmental toxins to the people of this country without the slightest care.[/quote]

Jeez in england they're famous for being the only well known pick'n'mix shop...
I personally bought my stationary there before the English branches were closed.

gjoellee
October 9th, 2009, 12:09 PM

Some people say that god created everything, and that will mean i created both the apple and Apple.

handy
October 9th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Some people say that god created everything, and that will mean i created both the apple and Apple.

Intellectual property & other forms of chauvinism were created as an outcome of the simultaneous existence of too many gods. :)

konnorrigby
November 29th, 2009, 10:57 PM
I'm gonna eat both kinda apples! :p

Sporkman
November 30th, 2009, 01:17 AM
I'm gonna eat both kinda apples! :p

What about Fiona Apple?

LinuxFanBoi
November 30th, 2009, 02:13 AM
ahahah don't tell them!! Steve Jobs will be onto them any minute!

Just as soon as he's done exploiting the loopholes in the organ transplant system. Priorities folks!

witeshark17
November 30th, 2009, 03:19 AM
Anyone who confuses that green squiggle with the Apple logo needs glasses. ;)

CharmyBee
November 30th, 2009, 03:46 AM

I was about to laugh, but... Steve Jobs wears glasses.

Hwæt
November 30th, 2009, 03:56 AM

To be honest, that doesn't even look remotely like an apple to me. It looks more like a bell pepper.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1f/Poivrons_Luc_Viatour.jpg/282px-Poivrons_Luc_Viatour.jpg

DeadSuperHero
November 30th, 2009, 04:21 AM
Oh well, I guess I'll just start Banana Computer, Inc. instead.

lykwydchykyn
November 30th, 2009, 04:29 AM
Oh well, I guess I'll just start Banana Computer, Inc. instead.

http://forums.artofwarcentral.com/images/smilies/bananahuge.gif

handy
November 30th, 2009, 12:17 PM
I drove a couple of thousand k's or so on a trip over the last couple of weeks. I noticed quite a few Woolworths stores during that time. All of them are using the new green logo.

I doubt Woolies are going to stop using these logos unless Apple wins a case over here in Oz that makes them.

t0p
November 30th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Amazing.

Not quite true:

1. Lennon had nothing to do with the case, unless he briefed his lawyers from beyond the grave. The case was Apple Raecords vs Apple.

2. A judge did not thro out the case. Apple Records and Apple settled. The terms of the deal were that Apple Records would not enter the software/computing market, and Apple wouldn't sell music.

Then Apple started up iTunes. Lennon's ghost must have been furious!!

RabbitWho
November 30th, 2009, 01:14 PM

Exsactly! They don't have the right to the image of an apple! This is so ridiculous.

t0p
November 30th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Exsactly! They don't have the right to the image of an apple! This is so ridiculous.

In many territories, Apple do have the right to a particularly stylized image of an apple. That's what trademarks are all about.

So the case boils down to one question: is Woolworth's logo sufficiently similar to Apple's trademark apple that a person might confuse the two? If the courts decide that the logos are sufficiently similar, Apple will get costs and compensation, and Woolworths will have to change their logo.

I think we should see these 2 symbols, to make up our own minds on this important matter. I shall return!

EDIT: I'm back! bearing apples. Check 'em out:

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=138127&stc=1&d=1259584979

So whaddaya think? Are they sufficiently similar that a person might reasonably confuse the two? Or are Apple talking out their <bleep!>? I know what I think.

In case you can't tell, the Apple logo is the one on the left... no, the right!... uh, left? I dunno... :confused:

Kevbert
November 30th, 2009, 01:56 PM
It's as bad as Microsoft trying to copywrite the word 'windows'.

t0p
November 30th, 2009, 02:02 PM
It's as bad as Microsoft trying to copyright the word 'windows'.

No, it's as bad as Microsoft trying to copyright the word 'windows' as the name of an operating system.

So I suppose you also think it's bad of Canonical to copyright the word 'ubuntu' as the name of an OS? Or doesn't that count?

The simple truth about the Apple/Woolworths kerfuffle is that the 2 logos are not at all similar (apart from that they're both apples). It looks like Apple are throwing their weight around just to make sure they're noticed. But there's nothing wrong in the principle of Apple defending its trademarks. All companies have the right to have their brands protected. Even Apple. Yes, even Microsoft!

A_T
November 30th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Apple can get stuffed. Aways amazes me they won the case against the Beatles who were using the Apple logo long before them.